Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Be Careful What You Wish (Campaign) For

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    I brought it up just because it's just different than here and it's the first time I experienced that and it felt weird not tipping. Yes, I am against nut jobs like Bernie Sanders and a blanket minimum wage. It tends to cause people to lose their hours, benefits and sometimes their jobs, especially people who work in places like fast food restaurants, etc. I agree with Baldy, believe it or not, that the market should set the wage. BPF2 makes some good points. Not sure which one the waiters/waitresses would prefer. Guaranteed $15 wages with no tips or a couple bucks/hr and tips, many that you don't have to report to the IRS. I'm guessing tips, if it is a decent, busy restaurant.
    Tips can be really nice at higher end restaurants too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Tips can be really nice at higher end restaurants too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    You better believe it, especially when they serve alcohol. My ex GF from many many years ago was a waitress at a pretty decent restaurant and she did very well with tips, much better than a minimum wage would have brought in.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Minimum wage is not supposed to be a living wage or support a family
    I guess this is true but there is a push in some countries such as the UK to go beyond the minimum wage and pay what has been decided to be the living wage. In London for example some business will put a plaque on the wall proudly declaring they pay the living wage

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I had a friend that was traveling overseas, France/Spain etc. said service was terrible. No one cared, sometimes it would take and hour and a half to for a cup of coffee (with a refill) and a muffin.
    Bad service in France, I for one am shocked lol

I brought it up just because it's just different than here and it's the first time I experienced that and it felt weird not tipping.
    An American obsession, most of the world manages just fine. When Mark Zuckerberg and his bride went to Italy for their honeymoon the gutter media got a copy of his bill and blasted him for not leaving a tip. Mean fisted billionaire they said. But its normal, he did nothing wrong. You maaaaaay give 10% for a meal and I've never tipped a bar tender in my life.

I always thought Americans are whizs and super smart as they calculate sales tax and tip percentages in their heads throughout the day

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    I guess this is true but there is a push in some countries such as the UK to go beyond the minimum wage and pay what has been decided to be the living wage. In London for example some business will put a plaque on the wall proudly declaring they pay the living wage

Bad service in France, I for one am shocked lol

An American obsession, most of the world manages just fine. When Mark Zuckerberg and his bride went to Italy for their honeymoon the gutter media got a copy of his bill and blasted him for not leaving a tip. Mean fisted billionaire they said. But its normal, he did nothing wrong. You maaaaaay give 10% for a meal and I've never tipped a bar tender in my life.

I always thought Americans are whizs and super smart as they calculate sales tax and tip percentages in their heads throughout the day
    Just curious, but why the name Irish Raven? Are you from Ireland? Was just there last year and loved it.

Blog Entries

Just curious, but why the name Irish Raven? Are you from Ireland? Was just there last year and loved it.
    It’s on my list for sure. Especially after watching The Open there this week

Blog Entries

Are strippers included in the $15 minimum wage? I think they may prefer tips over the $15.

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    That's because they are paid a living wage to do the job (probably around $15/hour), not $2.50 an hour + tips. Same throughout most of Europe as well.

Which you seem to be against, so I don't know why you're bringing it up....
    I own a bar... if this law passed I’d be forced to immediately fire everyone. That includes two people who depend on this job as supplemental income to help with their families. We utilize tip money because it’s a service people want yet the margins are low. A pint of beer would go up roughly 400% overnight for me to keep employees.
    You ever been to a country where tipping is discouraged because workers make a “livable wage”? I have, and the service sucks and the workers live in squalor. Why? Because the term “livable wage” is a fantasy concocted by morons who have no clue about economics. Here’s the funniest part.... we gave our best employee a raise! Why? Because he’s built his skill-set beyond a minimum, and drives up revenue. That being said, minimum wage is a starting point. If you never move beyond it, then you have put in below the minimum effort. Literally, all you have to do to get a raise in 99% of these jobs is show up on time, smile, and complete insanely basic tasks under minimum pressure. If you can muster that, you usually make more. And quickly. I worked retail, and got a raise in 4 months because I was constantly complimented on my knowledge and friendliness. Shocker... they paid me more.

Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    I own a bar... if this law passed I’d be forced to immediately fire everyone. That includes two people who depend on this job as supplemental income to help with their families. We utilize tip money because it’s a service people want yet the margins are low. A pint of beer would go up roughly 400% overnight for me to keep employees.
    You ever been to a country where tipping is discouraged because workers make a “livable wage”? I have, and the service sucks and the workers live in squalor. Why? Because the term “livable wage” is a fantasy concocted by morons who have no clue about economics. Here’s the funniest part.... we gave our best employee a raise! Why? Because he’s built his skill-set beyond a minimum, and drives up revenue. That being said, minimum wage is a starting point. If you never move beyond it, then you have put in below the minimum effort. Literally, all you have to do to get a raise in 99% of these jobs is show up on time, smile, and complete insanely basic tasks under minimum pressure. If you can muster that, you usually make more. And quickly. I worked retail, and got a raise in 4 months because I was constantly complimented on my knowledge and friendliness. Shocker... they paid me more.
    First of all, I never said I was for or against a $15 minimum wage, so calm down bro. I agree with most in here that the market should set the wage.

I was just wondering why Carroll brought up that it works in other countries, when his position is also against the raise to $15.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    First of all, I never said I was for or against a $15 minimum wage, so calm down bro. I agree with most in here that the market should set the wage.

I was just wondering why Carroll brought up that it works in other countries, when his position is also against the raise to $15.
    You never said you were for or against it, it does read like you're for it to be fair.

You never said you were for or against it.
    I know, I said that exact thing in the post.

it does read like you're for it to be fair.
    Eh, people see what they want to see.

I made great money working as a tipped employee in restaurants, and know I wouldn't have made as much if I only got minimum wage.

I also believe talking about tipped employees in this discussion is a bit of a strawman argument. Tipped employees have never been governed by a minimum wage, I don't see why that would change now.

Blog Entries

Are strippers included in the $15 minimum wage? I think they may prefer tips over the $15.
    What about US Military?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    I've never been, but food and beverage costs at restaurants are incredibly expensive in a lot of nordic countries (Iceland, Norway, Finland, Denmark, etc). A beer that might cost $3.50 in the US for a pint would cost closer to $10 in those countries.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.