Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Be Careful What You Wish (Campaign) For

https://www.newsweek.com/sanders-cam...ederal-1450103

Love how the campaign now has to deal with minimum wage and union issues. Maybe he'll realize what the impact is of his ideals on the real world...nah.

Re: Be Careful What You Wish (Campaign) For

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    https://www.newsweek.com/sanders-cam...ederal-1450103

Love how the campaign now has to deal with minimum wage and union issues. Maybe he'll realize what the impact is of his ideals on the real world...nah.
    Interesting...

Paying everyone on your campaign the same wage and giving them free healthcare would bankrupt your campaign? So...you can't afford it? You don't say?

I hope Trump tweets about this.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    Interesting...

Paying everyone on your campaign the same wage and giving them free healthcare would bankrupt your campaign? So...you can't afford it? You don't say?

I hope Trump tweets about this.
    I would expect a tweet in 3...2...1...

In fact, it might even be a direct quote of your post

this is stupid. the market should set the minimum wage

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    this is stupid. the market should set the minimum wage
    Bingo. One of the items in the house bill is that service workers who earn tips will also go to $15/hour. So your tab at restaurants and bars will go up significantly. But you won't have to tip either. I wonder how these service workers feel about it? Is that better for them? $15/hour fully taxable or currently $2.35 (I think) taxable and then only what you report as tips as taxable.

Some quick back of the napkin math: when I take the family of 5 out to dinner, we probably average about a $75 tab. I always tip 20% including taxes and round up. So for servicing my family in about an hour, that worker just got $2.35 plus $15 tip. I know not everyone tips the same as me, and not every check is the same. But if we were the only people in the restaurant that worker just got paid $2.35 less under the new plan. Factor in that a server is probably covering at least 4 tables? That's a huge chunk out of their paycheck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    Bingo. One of the items in the house bill is that service workers who earn tips will also go to $15/hour. So your tab at restaurants and bars will go up significantly. But you won't have to tip either. I wonder how these service workers feel about it? Is that better for them? $15/hour fully taxable or currently $2.35 (I think) taxable and then only what you report as tips as taxable.

Some quick back of the napkin math: when I take the family of 5 out to dinner, we probably average about a $75 tab. I always tip 20% including taxes and round up. So for servicing my family in about an hour, that worker just got $2.35 plus $15 tip. I know not everyone tips the same as me, and not every check is the same. But if we were the only people in the restaurant that worker just got paid $2.35 less under the new plan. Factor in that a server is probably covering at least 4 tables? That's a huge chunk out of their paycheck.
    Bernie is your classic hypocrite, Do as I say, not as I do. I also tip 20% rounded up like you do, unless it is horrible service, which is unusual. FYI in the counties of Australia and New Zealand, the service help do not expect tips, yet, the waiters and waitresses are very friendly even though they are not kissing ass for tips.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    Bernie is your classic hypocrite, Do as I say, not as I do. I also tip 20% rounded up like you do, unless it is horrible service, which is unusual. FYI in the counties of Australia and New Zealand, the service help do not expect tips, yet, the waiters and waitresses are very friendly even though they are not kissing ass for tips.
    That's because they are paid a living wage to do the job (probably around $15/hour), not $2.50 an hour + tips. Same throughout most of Europe as well.

Which you seem to be against, so I don't know why you're bringing it up....

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    That's because they are paid a living wage to do the job (probably around $15/hour), not $2.50 an hour + tips. Same throughout most of Europe as well.

Minimum wage is not supposed to be a living wage or support a family

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    I had a friend that was traveling overseas, France/Spain etc. said service was terrible. No one cared, sometimes it would take and hour and a half to for a cup of coffee (with a refill) and a muffin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post

I brought it up just because it's just different than here and it's the first time I experienced that and it felt weird not tipping. Yes, I am against nut jobs like Bernie Sanders and a blanket minimum wage. It tends to cause people to lose their hours, benefits and sometimes their jobs, especially people who work in places like fast food restaurants, etc. I agree with Baldy, believe it or not, that the market should set the wage. BPF2 makes some good points. Not sure which one the waiters/waitresses would prefer. Guaranteed $15 wages with no tips or a couple bucks/hr and tips, many that you don't have to report to the IRS. I'm guessing tips, if it is a decent, busy restaurant.

Blog Entries

$15/hr minimum wage will do two things:

1) Cause small businesses to reduce their labor costs (ie, lay people off).

2) Cause large corporations to increase investment and R&D into automation thereby removing those unskilled jobs from the workforce.

So, if that’s what you want, then ok.

Thing to keep in mind is this shit doesn’t impact politicians whatsoever. They don’t give a fuck about citizens working in unskilled jobs. It’s all grandstanding for political capital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    $15/hr minimum wage will do two things:

1) Cause small businesses to reduce their labor costs (ie, lay people off).

2) Cause large corporations to increase investment and R&D into automation thereby removing those unskilled jobs from the workforce.

So, if that’s what you want, then ok.

Thing to keep in mind is this shit doesn’t impact politicians whatsoever. They don’t give a fuck about citizens working in unskilled jobs. It’s all grandstanding for political capital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's one of their looks good, feels right policies that does more harm than good to the voters that are reeled in by these promises, but as you say, the politicians could care less as long as they get dumb asses to vote for them. Many would bite on a bare hook, and that's what they count on.