Offseason Retrospect

Some days when I'm really bored, I go through the Ye Olde Trash Heap for some laughs. Today, I looked at the thread that was made immediately following John Harbaugh's extension, which was heaped because Lisa from Aberdeen wouldn't stop hitting on the Sword. Before the thread devolved, there was a ton of negativity, even from usually positive posters, and I just think it's interesting to bring up and look at with the benefit of hindsight, because just about every single prediction about the remainder of the season and the offseason ended up being completely WRONG.

The biggest prediction was that Harbaugh would lose the final 2 games of the season, which did not happen. We beat LAC on the road, and beat the Browns at home.
    Various posters predicted that Mosley, Suggs, and Weddle would all be back, which did not happen. All 3 are in other uniforms this coming year.
    Posters predicted we would sign some stop gap over 30 Wide Receiver, which did not happen. We addressed the position long term in the draft.
    Posters said that we would keep with the status quo on offense, many predicting we'd retain Marty, proving Harbaugh is a coach not smart enough to fit an offense to his most important player which did not happen. Our new offensive coordinator has totally redesigned the offense around Lamar Jackson.

These posters seemed to assert that because Harbaugh was back and had so much power usually reserved for a GM, that we would have the status-quo in regards to matters coaching and GM-ing. That clearly wasn't the case. In my opinion the shift from Ozzie to DeCosta has been so drastically different that I'm honestly a little surprised. DeCosta feels like a totally different GM, and Harbaugh was there for both. Was this a shift in Harbaugh's philosophy? No. I don't think that Harbs has nearly as much sway on draft night as many think.

Basically the point of all this is when everyone is spiraling into the negativity, try to remember this. 90% of the posters were in unison that the results detailed above were foregone conclusions. And I haven't seen any admission from the board that they were totally dead wrong in how things played out. A few posters voiced that there was even the possibility that things might be different with a new GM and a full offseason of committing to Jackson as QB1, but those posters' voices were drowned out by an ocean of negativity. I think it's important to voice concerns, but I think we need to remember how the end of the 2018 season and this offseason went next time we think the guys in charge don't know anything. We got to the playoffs, we drafted potential stars at big positions of need, and we reworked the offense around our QB. What more could we have asked for?
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Re: Offseason Retrospect

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Some days when I'm really bored, I go through the Ye Olde Trash Heap for some laughs. Today, I looked at the thread that was made immediately following John Harbaugh's extension, which was heaped because Lisa from Aberdeen wouldn't stop hitting on the Sword. Before the thread devolved, there was a ton of negativity, even from usually positive posters, and I just think it's interesting to bring up and look at with the benefit of hindsight, because just about every single prediction about the remainder of the season and the offseason ended up being completely WRONG.

The biggest prediction was that Harbaugh would lose the final 2 games of the season, which did not happen. We beat LAC on the road, and beat the Browns at home.
    Various posters predicted that Mosley, Suggs, and Weddle would all be back, which did not happen. All 3 are in other uniforms this coming year.
    Posters predicted we would sign some stop gap over 30 Wide Receiver, which did not happen. We addressed the position long term in the draft.
    Posters said that we would keep with the status quo on offense, many predicting we'd retain Marty, proving Harbaugh is a coach not smart enough to fit an offense to his most important player which did not happen. Our new offensive coordinator has totally redesigned the offense around Lamar Jackson.

These posters seemed to assert that because Harbaugh was back and had so much power usually reserved for a GM, that we would have the status-quo in regards to matters coaching and GM-ing. That clearly wasn't the case. In my opinion the shift from Ozzie to DeCosta has been so drastically different that I'm honestly a little surprised. DeCosta feels like a totally different GM, and Harbaugh was there for both. Was this a shift in Harbaugh's philosophy? No. I don't think that Harbs has nearly as much sway on draft night as many think.

Basically the point of all this is when everyone is spiraling into the negativity, try to remember this. 90% of the posters were in unison that the results detailed above were foregone conclusions. And I haven't seen any admission from the board that they were totally dead wrong in how things played out. A few posters voiced that there was even the possibility that things might be different with a new GM and a full offseason of committing to Jackson as QB1, but those posters' voices were drowned out by an ocean of negativity. I think it's important to voice concerns, but I think we need to remember how the end of the 2018 season and this offseason went next time we think the guys in charge don't know anything. We got to the playoffs, we drafted potential stars at big positions of need, and we reworked the offense around our QB. What more could we have asked for?
    Idk, but sword will think of something.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Idk, but sword will think of something.

"That's not Donovan McNabb."

Damn, you’re gonna make me Go back to the trash heap as well. Lol.

Great thread. I think sometimes we forget that we are blessed with one of the few franchises in the league that is genuinely trying to get to the playoffs every year.

They certainly don’t always get it right, but they do adhere to principles day in and day out. I’m grateful to be a fan of this team.

Blog Entries

I think I was wrong about how they’d finish the season. I had to admit that.

There’s another thread that I was debating in about how Lamar Jackson would be used his rookie season, that might not be in the trash heap. Actually, I don’t think it is, because I bumped it a few months ago. That was another interesting one.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 07-20-2019 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Fights View Post
    Great thread. I think sometimes we forget that we are blessed with one of the few franchises in the league that is genuinely trying to get to the playoffs every year.

They certainly don’t always get it right, but they do adhere to principles day in and day out. I’m grateful to be a fan of this team.
    This!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Love this! Fun to look back and see where we were all wrong.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I think I was wrong about how they’d finishe the season. I had to admit that.

There’s another thread that I was debating in about how Lamar Jackson would be used his rookie season, that might not be in the trash heap. Actually, I don’t think it is, because I bumped it a few months ago. That was another interesting one.
    Shameless plug. ;)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Shameless plug. ;)

Don’t know what you mean ;)

But were we? This season has t played out. Wrong about last season...sure. Wrong about EDC as GM ...I think so ( and I’ll happily admit that ) but wrong about Harbeckler in general......this is yet to be proven. If this team goes 8-8 or worse without major injuries ...let’s see who else is still riding with Jimmy Z’s Brother?

I honestly think the most significant change was EDC. I think all our fears and thoughts of Harbecklers power were 100% true with Ozzie. EDC is gonna make this HIS team. With or without Harbeckler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    But were we? This season has t played out. Wrong about last season...sure. Wrong about EDC as GM ...I think so ( and I’ll happily admit that ) but wrong about Harbeckler in general......this is yet to be proven. If this team goes 8-8 or worse without major injuries ...let’s see who else is still riding with Jimmy Z’s Brother?

I honestly think the most significant change was EDC. I think all our fears and thoughts of Harbecklers power were 100% true with Ozzie. EDC is gonna make this HIS team. With or without Harbeckler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or... That was Ozzie's vision the whole time.