Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

OT: Best Current CPU on the market

I'm looking to get a new Desktop PC. The one I have is about four and a half years old. The Processor it has is the AMD FX-6300. I would imagine they've made several processors since then that kick more ass. So, for streaming, movie making, I also want to get into PC gaming, which CPU on the market kicks the most ass these days? I don't care about price. I just want the best.

EDIT: I think I mean best pure Processor.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 07-18-2019 at 06:48 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: OT: Best Current CPU on the market

Probably something you build. It would be cheaper than buying something from Alienware or a company like that which specializes in gaming computers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

AMD has the best price-performance ratio. I built my PC a couple years ago with a 1700x. Since then they've released a bunch more.

3900x is probably your best bet. There is always something better there are crazy stuff you can do with dual or quad cpu motherboards with quad sli.

But 3900x with a corsair liquid cooled aio kit is probably your best bet. It's easy to do yourself. Just screws basically.

Blog Entries

Best Pure processor?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    AMD has the best price-performance ratio. I built my PC a couple years ago with a 1700x. Since then they've released a bunch more.

3900x is probably your best bet. There is always something better there are crazy stuff you can do with dual or quad cpu motherboards with quad sli.

But 3900x with a corsair liquid cooled aio kit is probably your best bet. It's easy to do yourself. Just screws basically.
    As in the Ryzen 9?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    As in the Ryzen 9?
    Yes.

Also get m2 memory instead of a traditional harddrive at least to do your work on some motherboards have two slots for them that would be ideal as you can could even put them in raid.

And also get a closed loop water cooler something like corsair 115i they are very easy to install at least mine was then you don't need a bunch of noisy fans.
    Last edited by boller4president; 07-18-2019 at 08:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Yes.

Also get m2 memory instead of a traditional harddrive at least to do your work on some motherboards have two slots for them that would be ideal as you can could even put them in raid.

And also get a closed loop water cooler something like corsair 115i they are very easy to install at least mine was then you don't need a bunch of noisy fans.
    So, I see the Ryzen 9 just came out. So, there aren’t any PCs with it built in yet. Is it really that easy to build one myself. How much should I charge if I pay someone to do it? I think I can do it if I bought the tools, but I’m a little hesitant, given my TBI.

So, I see the Ryzen 9 just came out. So, there aren’t any PCs with it built in yet. Is it really that easy to build one myself. How much should I charge if I pay someone to do it? I think I can do it if I bought the tools, but I’m a little hesitant, given my TBI.
    It won't take long if they know what they are doing I'd pay 150 dollars tops but what I was suggesting you could do yourself. I think microcenter charges a flat fee of 150 dollars if you buy the parts from there. You can also price match if memory serves so you should be able to work something out.

Also Ryzen 9 is out just sold out. You can go see the reviews for the 3900x on amazon if you want.

Really the most complicated part of assembling a computer is cable management and hooking up the power supply.

I'm looking to get a new Desktop PC. The one I have is about four and a half years old.
    Not precisely what you're asking, but I bought an Intel NUC a couple months ago, 7th gen i5.

AND.
    I.
    LOVE.
    IT.

16Gb of RAM and a 256Gb M2 drive.

Mine was off of eBay. Brand new it'll run you about $350 or so without memory or storage:

In addition to the M2, there's also a bay for a 2.5" drive. You could drop $100 for a 1T SSD laptop drive, and be all set for storage. Use the M2 for the OS, then put docs & data & movies & music on the SSD. Prestissimo.

I didn't do that. I plugged in an old external HDD that I already owned, which had all my FLAC files on it. I also bought an external Blu-Ray drive for it – which I've only used to rip a couple CDs. But, y'know, I have it. Never know when you might need it.

It's my favorite desktop PC, of all the ones I've ever owned. The footprint is nothing! But all the ports you'll need. Add a monitor, keyboard, mouse: done. Snappy little thing, too.

They make higher-end, fancier ones for gaming. Search for "NUC Skull Canyon" or "Hades Canyon" – I think Hades is the newest. Overkill for me; but maybe what you're looking for, Mr Don't-care-about-price. Here's a piece on souping up one's NUC for desktop gaming:

If you're thinking about a new desktop PC, I suggest you consider mini. It's great.

Switching gears from hardware:

My NUC came with Win10 already loaded on it. My wife had bought us an Alexa this past Christmas; so I decided we already have enough spyware in the house. I blew away Windows –

And installed Ubuntu Budgie 19.04!
    And I love it!

Could hardly have been any easier; the shit just works. Out of the box it's got all the stuff you need: browser, office suite, media player. Plenty of software available for image editing and music file mgmt, etc. After a couple of days, the newness wears off, and it's just a computer. That works perfectly.

If anyone out there has an old Win7 desktop PC on its last legs, and you'll need to replace it, but you're reuctant to get swallowed up by Win10, and you've been wondering whether to consider Linux: I tell you right now, Ubuntu Budgie is the perfect choice. Elegant and usable; easy to install and works out of the box; intuitive as hell. Zero headaches; it gets out of your way and lets you get to what you want to be doing.

Linux for the home desktop really is here. No kidding. Highly recommended.

Blog Entries

It won't take long if they know what they are doing I'd pay 150 dollars tops but what I was suggesting you could do yourself. I think microcenter charges a flat fee of 150 dollars if you buy the parts from there. You can also price match if memory serves so you should be able to work something out.

Also Ryzen 9 is out just sold out. You can go see the reviews for the 3900x on amazon if you want.

Really the most complicated part of assembling a computer is cable management and hooking up the power supply.
    Amazon only has them for double the price. Least, when I checked earlier.

I read that another AMD processor is coming out in September. Should I just wait for that one?

Blog Entries

I want 64 GB of RAM Jim. I’m on 16 now.

I want 64 GB of RAM Jim. I’m on 16 now.
    I think this one maxes out at 32: