Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The “Squad”

Blog Entries

Re: The “Squad”

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I imagine Baldy will weigh in soon w/a link from BuzzFeed.
    Close, he went with Vox instead. Who's article I couldn't get past the 2nd paragraph without noticing bullshit.

Blog Entries

interesting conversation that seems to go down party lines for the most part, like most things these days.

my first thoughts were similar to Wicked's and it was just another dumb trump comment. One, he should just allow them to feast on their own, politically, but he cant leave well enough alone and has to interject himself into it. why? just a moronic approach because hes now the conversation (likely his goal in one way or another) instead of Pelosi vs the new girls, which would have really helped him and other conservatives.

where i differ, is the comment does have a race aspect to it, but its not blatantly racist, imo. the assumption of his comments is almost as if these brown girls with strange names couldnt be from this country (which I think he may actually have thought). 3 of them are and the other naturalized (which should mean something to her want to be here), but either way is clearly an anti-immigrant comment in context, that they should have all stayed where they were, or even went back to a country they may never have been rather than come here. Thats not helping him seem less anti-immigrant for sure. the whole argument is based on the assumption that these girls dont like america for wanting to better/change it, and their ancestry is being used to single out their political motivations as different than any other in congress who want to do similar (even Pelosi), both sides of the aisle. Thats why its racially charged and Trump didnt have to distinguish that aspect to argue against their positions. So why did he?

I dont get the "like it or leave" approach. "make american great again" implies changes. Clearly Trump doesnt like what America is and is trying to change it. Hes not liking it or leaving it either. These are members of congress which are voted to do the very same thing hes doing. Which makes it incredibly hypocritical to me. thats not how governments and democracy's work.

so in conclusion, i see the race aspect, but i dont think his intent was racist necessarily. I think it was an incredibly stupid comment.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Well, I didn't read any further than the first "evidence" since the point was pretty clear. Twist, smear, repeat.

"On the campaign trail, Trump repeatedly made explicitly racist and otherwise bigoted remarks, from calling Mexican immigrants criminals and rapists to proposing a ban on all Muslims entering the US"

Trump did not call Mexican immigrants criminals and rapists. He said that there are people coming across the border illegally and that criminals and rapists were among them. That is not incorrect nor racist. And by the way, most of those crossing aren't Mexican, they're Guatemalan, Honduran, Costa Rican. So isn't labelling them all as Mexican more racist and ignorant?

Trump did not propose banning all Muslims from entering the US. Trump proposed a reduction in amount of refugees allowed entry, and restrictions on entry to the US for people from specific nations which were listed by Obama's Homeland Security department as National Security Risks. There were exceptions permitted. And the countries listed represented only 8% of the world's Muslim population.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    interesting conversation that seems to go down party lines for the most part, like most things these days.

my first thoughts were similar to Wicked's and it was just another dumb trump comment. One, he should just allow them to feast on their own, politically, but he cant leave well enough alone and has to interject himself into it. why? just a moronic approach because hes now the conversation (likely his goal in one way or another) instead of Pelosi vs the new girls, which would have really helped him and other conservatives.

where i differ, is the comment does have a race aspect to it, but its not blatantly racist, imo. the assumption of his comments is almost as if these brown girls with strange names couldnt be from this country (which I think he may actually have thought). 3 of them are and the other naturalized (which should mean something to her want to be here), but either way is clearly an anti-immigrant comment in context, that they should have all stayed where they were, or even went back to a country they may never have been rather than come here. Thats not helping him seem less anti-immigrant for sure. the whole argument is based on the assumption that these girls dont like america for wanting to better/change it, and their ancestry is being used to single out their political motivations as different than any other in congress who want to do similar (even Pelosi), both sides of the aisle. Thats why its racially charged and Trump didnt have to distinguish that aspect to argue against their positions. So why did he?

The comment has race aspects, not really, but maybe a little. That however does not make it racist. If one see's racism, I think it's cause they want to

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I dont get the "like it or leave" approach. "make american great again" implies changes. Clearly Trump doesnt like what America is and is trying to change it. Hes not liking it or leaving it either. These are members of congress which are voted to do the very same thing hes doing. Which makes it incredibly hypocritical to me. thats not how governments and democracy's work.

so in conclusion, i see the race aspect, but i dont think his intent was racist necessarily. I think it was an incredibly stupid comment.
    Again, is the keyword here. Whether you like him, agree or disagree, he thinks saying the country was great, but it's not because of trade, immigration the swamp etc. So lets get it back to what it was before those. No again, you can disagree if he means it or those things are happening, but to say why isn't he leaving????

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Trump gives the MSM what they want. Inflammatory headlines... i.e. clickbait. MSM will always take things out of context to suit their agenda. That being said...Trump is terrible at wording. You can tell his tweets are mostly random thoughts with no filter and little context. This leads to the MSM taking everything he tweets and labeling it racist, sexist, etc. I don't believe Trump is racist. I believe he has a bit of inferiority complex...constantly has to project brute strength. No different really than a high school bully. That being said, again, he is a crazy smart businessman. I just wish he would show a little more tack...so we wouldn't have to deal with this nonsense from the regressive left and MSM...and have constructive dialogue to fix the issues in this country.
    but NCRAVEN wraps it up beautifully a couple posts down.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    If one see's racism, I think it's cause they want to
    I agree.

I also agree w/your earlier post about the purpose...

Trump wanted to call these women out and force Democrats to publicly defend them. The entire party is now embracing their hateful and anti-American ideology.

I think it's funny that 20 Democrats are currently running for POTUS and everyone is now talking about 4 Freshman Congresswomen who aren't running for POTUS and are polling at 9% - 21%.

Mission accomplished.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Has Paul Ryan or Nancy Pelosi actively campaigned on how terrible this country is?
    Exactly, that's the difference. Those 2 also didn't describe 9/11 as "some people did something". Imagine if Trump said that?

There have been way too many different accusations from different sources over too long a period of time for me to just dismiss...not to mention a lot of Trump's own comments! You don't have to burn crosses in someone's front yard in order to be racist. You dont even have to hate people of another race. The bar is a lot lower than people seem to think or want to think because no one wants to be seen as supporting a racist. People will bend over backwards to excuse it because they like his politics. The thing about racism is no one ever thinks it applies to them. Even David Duke will tell you he's not racist and he believes it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    I agree.

I also agree w/your earlier post about the purpose...

Trump wanted to call these women out and force Democrats to publicly defend them. The entire party is now embracing their hateful and anti-American ideology.

I think it's funny that 20 Democrats are currently running for POTUS and everyone is now talking about 4 Freshman Congresswomen who aren't running for POTUS and are polling at 9% - 21%.

Mission accomplished.
    Isn't it ironic that the Democrats are always saying the Republicans are afraid to call out Trump on things when the Democrats are scared to death to call out any of these 4 "women of color" as they refer themselves. They refused to condemn her in the House after her Anti Semantic slurs. They generalized the condemnation instead of calling her out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    There have been way too many different accusations from different sources over too long a period of time for me to just dismiss...not to mention a lot of Trump's own comments! You don't have to burn crosses in someone's front yard in order to be racist.
    Can you post them please so we're all on the same page?

You dont even have to hate people of another race. The bar is a lot lower than people seem to think or want to think because no one wants to be seen as supporting a racist. People will bend over backwards to excuse it because they like his politics. The thing about racism is no one ever thinks it applies to them. Even David Duke will tell you he's not racist and he believes it.

Blog Entries

I think what this issue/event shows me is that the term Racism or racist is used so much... people don't even really know what it means anymore.

Blog Entries

There have been way too many different accusations from different sources over too long a period of time for me to just dismiss...not to mention a lot of Trump's own comments! You don't have to burn crosses in someone's front yard in order to be racist. You dont even have to hate people of another race. The bar is a lot lower than people seem to think or want to think because no one wants to be seen as supporting a racist. People will bend over backwards to excuse it because they like his politics. The thing about racism is no one ever thinks it applies to them. Even David Duke will tell you he's not racist and he believes it.
    Trump loves America first and Americans second. He defends this country, sometimes to a fault, which tends to get him in trouble, since he is not a wordsmith or a Politician. He is far from Politically correct, which is refreshing, at times, and maddening at other times. His mouth is a double edged sword.