Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 52

Thread: Pay the man

  1. #37

    Re: Pay the man

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Double digit sacks, tag him. Repeat? Sign him.
    All else, take the comp pick.
    I am probably forgetting some player(s), but haven't we only ever played two guys under the Tag?

    McAlister & Suggs?

    Judon isn't as special as either of those players, soo I don't see a Tag happening.





  2. #38

    Re: Pay the man

    Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    I am probably forgetting some player(s), but haven't we only ever played two guys under the Tag?

    McAlister & Suggs?

    Judon isn't as special as either of those players, soo I don't see a Tag happening.
    Think we did it to Tucker once, but if I remember right we worked out a deal before he had to play on it. So he signed the tag, but had a contract before September.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."





  3. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    6,531

    Re: Pay the man

    Double digit sacks isnít a great barometer, Iíd rather see him actually disrupt more games with less sacks instead of three sacks on three straight plays against a lowly team when the game is already won. Showing up against Pittsburgh is a guy you want to keep.





  4. #40

    Re: Pay the man

    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Double digit sacks isnít a great barometer, Iíd rather see him actually disrupt more games with less sacks instead of three sacks on three straight plays against a lowly team when the game is already won. Showing up against Pittsburgh is a guy you want to keep.
    True story.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not bad for a running back."





  5. #41

    Re: Pay the man

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Think we did it to Tucker once, but if I remember right we worked out a deal before he had to play on it. So he signed the tag, but had a contract before September.
    Yeah, we've tagged plenty over the years, but I think only those two played under the tag (McAlister twice though).





  6. #42

    Re: Pay the man

    If he does not get a contract by camp he is going to hit the market. He wonít sign a franchise contract. He will hold out. He has to. This is his one chance to get way over paid by some team not named the Ravens. Look back at our recent history. Jone, McPhee, Kruger, Wagner, Jensen, Smith, and so on all got far more real money then we were going to pay them. Iíd rather another team drop 25-30 million on them and decide two years later to eat 8-10 in dead money. LB is one area the Ravens seem to find players late in the draft or even undrafted.

    So you pay Judon and he gives you the exact same average he has done his entire career. Do you think it will be long before fans are screaming bloody murder? Isnít that what happened with #98? Paid for what he did but fans expected much more for more money. You donít get double production with double snaps or double money. Just not the way it works.





  7. #43

    Re: Pay the man

    Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    If he does not get a contract by camp he is going to hit the market. He won’t sign a franchise contract. He will hold out. He has to. This is his one chance to get way over paid by some team not named the Ravens. Look back at our recent history. Jone, McPhee, Kruger, Wagner, Jensen, Smith, and so on all got far more real money then we were going to pay them. I’d rather another team drop 25-30 million on them and decide two years later to eat 8-10 in dead money. LB is one area the Ravens seem to find players late in the draft or even undrafted.

    So you pay Judon and he gives you the exact same average he has done his entire career. Do you think it will be long before fans are screaming bloody murder? Isn’t that what happened with #98? Paid for what he did but fans expected much more for more money. You don’t get double production with double snaps or double money. Just not the way it works.
    I don't see him holding out for a whole year like Leveon. He'd play under the tag, and just be pissed about it.

    The point about not expecting him to be any other than what he is is spot-on. We'll find out a little more about what he is this season. But basically, I think we know what he is: a guy with a well rounded game (setting the edge and dropping into coverage) with some pass rush skills, particularly if he has several other threats around him.

    What he is NOT is a game-wrecking pass rusher that OC's have to account for, double-team, chip, etc. He'll set the market for 2nd-tier pass rushers, and I'm okay with that. But if he wants to set the market for top-tier pass rushers (guys like Mack, Watt, Miller, Garrett) then let somebody else give him that cake. Cuz he's not one of those guys and he never will be.
    "Not bad for a running back."





  8. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    37,744
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Pay the man

    Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    I am probably forgetting some player(s), but haven't we only ever played two guys under the Tag?

    McAlister & Suggs?

    Judon isn't as special as either of those players, soo I don't see a Tag happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Think we did it to Tucker once, but if I remember right we worked out a deal before he had to play on it. So he signed the tag, but had a contract before September.
    I know that Ngata got tagged, but I think that his deal was also worked out before he had to play on it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore





  9. #45

    Re: Pay the man

    Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    I'm not sure what folks are seeing. Maybe he'll take another step this year, but let's put some data into this discussion.

    Including our playoff game:

    7 sacks in 17 games

    3 of 7 came in 1 game, against an awful Oakland; so in 16 other games, he averaged one sack per four.

    In the last quarter of the season, plus the playoffs - 1 sack.

    29 solo tackles

    Tied for 38th in sacks for the year

    Again, maybe he sets the world on fire this year, but to-date, nothing about his play screams "break the bank."

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    I agree. On the Ravens he is a top performer but actually compared to high level pass rush guys, he's just good, not great.





  10. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    33,881
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Pay the man

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I know that Ngata got tagged, but I think that his deal was also worked out before he had to play on it.
    Same with Ray Rice. The Ravens have always looked to get long term deals with players they've tagged. I don't the time intention ever to play under the tag but that's always an option if a deal can't be made.





  11. #47

    Re: Pay the man

    Most of Judons plays are a credit to his teammates and coaches. He played on the otherside of was coached up by a HoF player whos football IQ is the off the charts (Suggs will be a coach in this league someday, he understood and applied Hoodies 3-4 game changing moments concepts to his game) great coverage DBs etc... He does stupid $hit on the field all the time and could have cost us games if the refs were not blind. Decosta shows him the door 100% UNLESS he accepts a mediocre offer for the mediocre player that he is. Which he of course wont. Atleast Za could blast someone 1v1 now and then and he had strength to play up the middle. Letting Za walk was unfortunate but shrewd and obviouslt the right call considering what he got, letting Judon walk is a no brainer.





  12. #48

    Re: Pay the man

    Quote Originally Posted by AQKingRaven View Post
    Most of Judons plays are a credit to his teammates and coaches. He played on the otherside of was coached up by a HoF player whos football IQ is the off the charts (Suggs will be a coach in this league someday, he understood and applied Hoodies 3-4 game changing moments concepts to his game) great coverage DBs etc... He does stupid $hit on the field all the time and could have cost us games if the refs were not blind. Decosta shows him the door 100% UNLESS he accepts a mediocre offer for the mediocre player that he is. Which he of course wont. Atleast Za could blast someone 1v1 now and then and he had strength to play up the middle. Letting Za walk was unfortunate but shrewd and obviouslt the right call considering what he got, letting Judon walk is a no brainer.

    If any of the other young outside linebackers prove incapable of setting the edge along with being able to get after the quarterback then honestly letting Judon go would not be a no brainier. I don't see why fans are comparing Matt Judon to Zadarius Smith because they both played different roles on the team. Judon had more responsibility on the field than Zadarius Smith. Smith mostly was just asked to rush the passer if i'm not mistaken while Judon was setting the edge to defend against the run, covering tight ends, sniffing out screens, and more to go along with his assignment to get after the quarterback.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site