Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 38

Thread: 18 games?

  1. #1

    18 games?

    I actually love this. Capping the players at 16 games lets them get mid season rest, like an individual bye week, if they get banged up. Great to get younger players in the rotation. Rare upside for both the league and the players.


    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...mes-per-player



    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk





  2. #2

    Re: 18 games?

    Quote Originally Posted by guymf4 View Post
    I actually love this. Capping the players at 16 games lets them get mid season rest, like an individual bye week, if they get banged up. Great to get younger players in the rotation. Rare upside for both the league and the players.


    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...mes-per-player



    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    They would have to increase the roster for this. 53 men ain't gonna cut it if everyone on the team has to take 2 games off.

    Also, may make some games extremely undesirable to attend. Who wants to watch the backup QB play if the starter isn't hurt.





  3. #3

    Re: 18 games?

    Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    They would have to increase the roster for this. 53 men ain't gonna cut it if everyone on the team has to take 2 games off.

    Also, may make some games extremely undesirable to attend. Who wants to watch the backup QB play if the starter isn't hurt.
    I think 6-8 guys don't dress each game regardless. That shouldn't be an issue. However you make a good point about the QB. Although not many QBs start 16 a year regardless.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk





  4. #4

    Re: 18 games?

    Just realized, backup kickers? That could be brutal

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk





  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    38,540
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 18 games?

    i refuse to click bleacher report
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!





  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Balt-Wash corridor
    Posts
    13,305

    Re: 18 games?

    That is a really interesting proposal.





  7. #7

    Re: 18 games?

    Quote Originally Posted by guymf4 View Post
    Just realized, backup kickers? That could be brutal

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Also, I wonder when the "roster sits" would need to be in?

    Could be a weird game of chess for the coaches trying to figure out when they are gonna sit Jalen Ramsey, Aaron Donald, Zeke Elliot, or (insert game changing star here) when they still have to go against the other teams stars, depending on how they set up their "sits".





  8. #8

    Re: 18 games?

    In 2019 4 of the 8 divisions were decided by more than 2 games. If there were another 2 games added to last season, about 70% of those games would have been meaningless.

    I feel like an 18 game season is only popular in the offseason when we're chomping at the bit for football. How often have football fans been watching a week 17 game wishing for 2 more weeks in the regular season?





  9. #9

    Re: 18 games?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smackums View Post
    In 2019 4 of the 8 divisions were decided by more than 2 games. If there were another 2 games added to last season, about 70% of those games would have been meaningless.

    I feel like an 18 game season is only popular in the offseason when we're chomping at the bit for football. How often have football fans been watching a week 17 game wishing for 2 more weeks in the regular season?
    I'm with you on all of this.

    Not only that, the two games we are adding are gonna lead to the rest of the games being a watered down mess due to the stars sitting on the bench.





  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Harford Cnty , MD
    Posts
    9,501

    Re: 18 games?

    The idea of 18 games I like. “Sitting” players I do not. I think you push the season back at least one week then play through Feb. why not? What other sport is getting all the media in Feb? Still before both the NBA and NHL playoffs. And before spring training for baseball. Hell even NASCAR doesn’t start till Valentine’s Day. It’s too damn hot Labor Day weekend for pro football. Let college start like normal and get all the tv revenues for a week or three. Give every team 2 byes and play 18. More money all around.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





  11. #11

    Re: 18 games?

    Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    Also, I wonder when the "roster sits" would need to be in?

    Could be a weird game of chess for the coaches trying to figure out when they are gonna sit Jalen Ramsey, Aaron Donald, Zeke Elliot, or (insert game changing star here) when they still have to go against the other teams stars, depending on how they set up their "sits".
    The chess aspect intrigues me too. Do you sit your left tackle in week 3 because you have a good matchup, or worst until he strains something, which always happens. You would never sit all your starters the same week unless it was game 18 and you're already in the playoffs.

    But I don't see how the would effect your argument smackums. If every team has the same rules, just like the cap, it will still come down to close divisional records. A team ahead in the division by 2 games at week 17 isn't safe in a 19 game season. So I argue the final weeks will always be just as important

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk





  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Balt-Wash corridor
    Posts
    13,305

    Re: 18 games?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    I think you push the season back at least one week then play through Feb. why not? What other sport is getting all the media in Feb?
    Revving up for March Madness, silly.


    One proposal that I saw, was adding one game, a 17th game: but every team gets one additional bye. So the season is two weeks longer, but with only one extra game.

    The notion of a season where the number of games is prime, bugs me. But other than that, the proposal might be a sensible middle ground.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site