Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Will Hollywood be ready for TC

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Well, yeah WRs don't contribute year 1 that much, but if Hollywood doesn't play a majority of the rookie year, then year 2 becomes year 1 from a development standpoint, and you get the growing pains of trying to get off the line against NFL level defenders to work through, that would've been worked through in year 1, so now it's year 3 and we have an equivalent 2nd year player, hopefully finally ready to contribute, with injury history. Remind you of anyone?

So my point is if you have a player who won't be back to 100% until a full season after he was drafted, and suffered that injury pre draft, you're a moron for taking him. Just my opinion.
    I think context is huge here. Depends on the player, the draft pick position and the position the player plays. To just say that a player not contributing much their rookie year because of injury seems a little short sighted. No one has said he wouldn't be back to 100% until a full season after he was drafted. Most reports seem to be saying he might be ready for training camp. I think what a lot of us are saying in this thread (at least it's what i'm saying) is that if he is simply "cleared to play" but possibly not 100%, I'd be fine with him starting the season on PUP. Now if he's gonna be 100% by week 2, so be it. What i don't want is the coaches or FO trying to rush him onto the field to showcase their shiny 1st round pick or to justify picking him where they did and try to assuage some fans who have massive buyer's remorse after Perriman and still a bad taste in their mouths from Hurst. To me, the worst thing you could do is repeat the same mistake by allowing him back on the field too early and he either re-injures himself or can't showcase his full talent because of lingering issues. If some of us want to take the team to task for that, I get it. But IMO the guy has game breaking talent and as someone said earlier, without that injury we would have never even sniffed a chance to take him where we did. I want to see that game breaking talent on full display and if that means I have to wait a few games, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    We just saw this same injury with a Cb. Even when he cones back he will be at 85-90% and not trusting his foot completely. His trade is burning speed. Play him at 85% and he is very coverable. I’d wait and pup him until week five. Then you get three weeks to run him in pratice before you have to add him to the 53 man roster. In a perfect world he is getting better every week from 9-17. He is young so his healing time may be faster than Jimmy Smith was but then again it might not. So go slow and get it right.
    Just a side note, I also think it's probably a bad idea for us fans to compare injuries and recovery timelines of player A to player B. Some guys heal faster, some injuries have the same classification, but different severity. The doctor that performed the surgery comes into play. The player's overall health and condition before and during the injury factor in. Position also plays a role...a CB needs to be able to backpedal and flip his hips, a wr needs to be able to drive and beat press and open his top end speed after cutting....different uses of the same muscles and certain functions might be easier or harder.

Blog Entries

Feelings about the pick aside, I agree with others that you have to play it safe. The pick has been made and you have to take care of it. Rushing back from any injury is foolish. Rushing back from lisfranc is asking for it. Take it slow.

Quote Originally Posted by BHSU View Post
    He most likely won't play at all this year.
    Whoa whoa whoa, based on what?
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by BHSU View Post
    Based on how we handled #Delete's injury his rookie year.
    You make it sound like the Ravens did something wrong with BP's injury.

Didn't he just have a slow-healing PCL?

Recently saw a list franc injury who was still non weight bearing at 8 months after surgery

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

ravend pr tricks jim again lmao

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

He reinjured it trying to come back too fast. Think it was before one of the Bengals games, they had him out running during warmups and he tweaked it again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Re: the draft choice and the injury risk, its fine.

They took the same approach to WR that they took with TE. And hopefully it works the same. You have a need in a class where there is at least some talent, take a pair or even a few. Hopefully someone pans out. Hopefully both.

Re: injury recovery, I think they will let him take his time. Consider, this looks to be a Tiger / 2 TE offense in base IMHO. Not saying they couldn't spread out 3 WRs or even 4 occasionally, but if Hurst gets back to where he was, and Lamar continue to have so-so accuracy, big bodied targets that present mismatches and can also run block seems prudent.

and thats not a dig at Lamar. The Patriots did this with Gronk and Hernandez. Its a winning formula.

No need to rush Hollywood back. You have veterans in Chris Moore and Snead that can hold it down for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    He reinjured it trying to come back too fast. Think it was before one of the Bengals games, they had him out running during warmups and he tweaked it again.
    I forgot about this.

But - there's no way hes warming up if he hasn't been medically cleared, right?? Ugh. Man, I dont miss those days.

I highly doubt it would have effected Perriman career here at Baltimore, but it was as if we were trying to get an entire fan base to hate Perriman. It isn't that hard to say a partially torn ligament that got worse while doing warm ups. The Ravens had the entire planet thinking this guy was pulling an Albert Haynesworth.

I definitely agree with you all that, though it’s frustrating, I don’t want Hollywood on the field before he’s ready. At this point, the pick is made. Hollywood is a Raven. So rushing him back is just a sunk cost fallacy. Now that we’ve made the kid a Raven we have to make sure he can contribute to the team as much as possible, and if that means resting him for part or even all of the year, so be it.

My issue is you shouldn’t use your first round pick on a player that is unable to come in and help the team immediately if you can help it. It’s so important to have big time players on rookie deals to allow your team to perform above the salary cap. And I believe there were players I had a first round grade on that were available that could come in and contribute day 1 (McCoy, Ford, etc).

Like I said the pick is made, and they need to be smart so as not to make this injury worse. It’s just a little frustrating that they picked a player in the 1st who was injured prior to the draft and we’re already talking about potentially pushing back the timetable further.