Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Nice Film Breakdown of Justice Hill

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    How so?

Scratching my head, I looked at my posts again.

I think you are reading something into/from my posts that I’m not saying.
    Not to speak for Bc, but I think he's referring to your statement "If you’re back can’t pass protect it’s hard to play him at all."
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Not to speak for Bc, but I think he's referring to your statement "If you’re back can’t pass protect it’s hard to play him at all."
    GWNR, you are correct. I'd just like to add that EDC didn't draft Hill (4th round) for his pass-blocking prowess. IMO he's another piece of the future Ravens offensive with some dazzle to his game... Bc

Oh joy, another mountain we're making out of a mole hill.

How bout we at least find out about Hill's pass pro in preseason, huh? Like was said, most rookie RBs go through the same transition to the NFL.

I'm not even that worried about Hill in pass pro. He's going to quickly learn what he needs to do. Definitely saw reps of him squaring up, rolling his hips and driving through the chest. But Edgar isn't wrong about the tendency to shoulder check, which is, IMO, is fixable.

Even if he didn't develop it, I'm not sure it's a fair statement to say if someone has bad pass pro skills they're unusable. Just don't really get that.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Am I to believe that we cant even so much as give him a handoff because he can't pass protect?

If I remember correctly CJ2K wasn't great in pass protection and still ran for 2000 yards

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Am I to believe that we cant even so much as give him a handoff because he can't pass protect?
    Again, I dont want to speak for Ed, but I think his quote was referring to 3rd down (we can't put him on the field on 3rd down because he can't pass pro becuase it'll indicate he's runnign a route?).

Maybe some clarification is needed, but yeah I'm confused as well.
    - Ray Lewis

Maybe I’m misperceiving it, but I read his argument that the pass protection will keep him from being a feature every down back and limit him more as a complimentary piece if it doesn’t improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Continuity Steve View Post
    Maybe I’m misperceiving it, but I read his argument that the pass protection will keep him from being a feature every down back and limit him more as a complimentary piece if it doesn’t improve.
    I could understand that point.

I think Bc read the 'it’s hard to play him at all' part, which makes sense given his replies. Like I said, required some clarification.
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanMania View Post
    Edgar Allen's screen name is Edgar on PurpleFlock.com and posts frequently on that board.
    Thanks for the info!

What's PurpleFlock.com? Is it as good as here?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Continuity Steve View Post
    Close.
    Word choice is important here. I made a clear distinction between my comment about RBs in general and Hill specifically.

Most of my comments about Hill and the role of RB blocking have been ignored, misunderstood or cherry picked in order to be misinterpreted.

Here's what I've said:

Some backs need to cut weight, some need to befriend the jugs machine. Hill needs to work on pass protection.

IF he can quickly become a viable NFL level pass protector then the other elements of his game can shine.
    RE: General discussion of RB blocking

If you’re back can’t pass protect it’s hard to play him at all.

It won’t take long for a defense to know whether or not a back can pass protect. They’re gonna test it. They’re going to blitz and see if he can pick it up. If the QB is getting hit because the back missed his block or assignment then that back doesn’t see the field until he gets it straight.

The rest of a backs skills don’t matter if they can’t pass protect at an NFL level.
    ————————————————————

I don’t see any reason why Hill won’t improve as blocker.

And once he gets his blocking together then the rest of skills make him a real threat in the passing game.

He’s the perfect candidate to line up in base personnel then audible to a formation shift with him out wide or in the slot and he’s a matchup advantage vs LBs and most safeties
    Of course Hill is a weapon.

And IF he can become an NFL level pass protector they can get him on the field to be that weapon out of the backfield.
    IF he can’t become an NFL level pass protector he’ll pose too great a risk to line up in the backfield with Lamar in passing situations.
    Speed.

And if you’re making the argument that an NFL RB doesn’t need to be able to block at an NFL level then we can agree to disagree and move on to discuss something else.

————————————————————
    I look forward to seeing Hill on the field. He provides a speed element that none of the other backs have.

With the stable of runningbacks we now have under contract, no runningback need be a feature back.
    That is what will be such a pain for opposing defenses to combat.
    The Ravens will be able to exploit any weakness a defense has if they can't cover a fast back out of the backfield or a thumper running up the middle or Ingram who can do both.
    It will allow the Ravens to force defenses to cover the ENTIRE field, both vertically and horizontally.
    All of this is GOOOD for the Ravens!
    “They gonna get a Super Bowl outta me. Believe that…Believe that”, Lamar, after being drafted by the Ravens.