Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Nice Film Breakdown of Justice Hill

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    RE: General discussion of RB blocking

If you’re back can’t pass protect it’s hard to play him at all.

It won’t take long for a defense to know whether or not a back can pass protect. They’re gonna test it. They’re going to blitz and see if he can pick it up. If the QB is getting hit because the back missed his block or assignment then that back doesn’t see the field until he gets it straight.

The rest of a backs skills don’t matter if they can’t pass protect at an NFL level.
    ————————————————————

I don’t see any reason why Hill won’t improve as blocker.

And once he gets his blocking together then the rest of skills make him a real threat in the passing game.

He’s the perfect candidate to line up in base personnel then audible to a formation shift with him out wide or in the slot and he’s a matchup advantage vs LBs and most safeties
    (a) When a team like the Ravens has a RB with explosive speed/elusiveness, they'll find a way to use him even if his pass blocking needs improvement. DeCosta just drafted Hollywood, Boykin, and Hill to change the face of the Ravens offense.
    (b) IMO he is already a threat and it has nothing to do with his pass blocking.

eddie, I see where you're coming from, and I admit Hill is not a finished product, but we're surrounding LJ with weapons and Hill is one of them... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    (a) When a team like the Ravens has a RB with explosive speed/elusiveness, they'll find a way to use him even if his pass blocking needs improvement. DeCosta just drafted Hollywood, Boykin, and Hill to change the face of the Ravens offense.
    (b) IMO he is already a threat and it has nothing to do with his pass blocking.

eddie, I see where you're coming from, and I admit Hill is not a finished product, but we're surrounding LJ with weapons and Hill is one of them... Bc
    Of course Hill is a weapon.

And IF he can become an NFL level pass protector they can get him on the field to be that weapon out of the backfield.
    IF he can’t become an NFL level pass protector he’ll pose too great a risk to line up in the backfield with Lamar in passing situations.

Blog Entries

And IF he can become an NFL level pass protector they can get him on the field to be that weapon out of the backfield.
    IF he can’t become an NFL level pass protector he’ll pose too great a risk to line up in the backfield with Lamar in passing situations.
    Perhaps not with a strong Oline plus double TEs. Not every players is 100% well-rounded (especially rookies). Already having Ingram, Edwards, and Dixon, why do you think EDC drafted Hill? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Perhaps not with a strong Oline plus double TEs. Not every players is 100% well-rounded (especially rookies). Already having Ingram, Edwards, and Dixon, why do you think EDC drafted Hill? ... Bc
    Speed.

And if you’re making the argument that an NFL RB doesn’t need to be able to block at an NFL level then we can agree to disagree and move on to discuss something else.

————————————————————
    I look forward to seeing Hill on the field. He provides a speed element that none of the other backs have.

I think it’s so hard to get a running back on the field if he can’t pass protect especially on 3rd down..

Blog Entries

Speed.

And if you’re making the argument that an NFL RB doesn’t need to be able to block at an NFL level then we can agree to disagree and move on to discuss something else.

————————————————————
    I look forward to seeing Hill on the field. He provides a speed element that none of the other backs have.
    I didn't say that. My point is that is something that can be worked on, but speed and elusiveness is a different matter. Hill has it, that's why he was drafted. This is a new offensive era in Baltimore and EDC thinks Hill can be a part of it... so do I... Bc

Blog Entries

I didn't say that. My point is that is something that can be worked on, but speed and elusiveness is a different matter. Hill has it, that's why he was drafted. This is a new offensive era in Baltimore and EDC thinks Hill can be a part of it... so do I... Bc
    Well then you are arguing points I’m not making. *shrugs*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I think it’s so hard to get a running back on the field if he can’t pass protect especially on 3rd down..
    So maybe we should just have a FB instead? The point of drafting Hill is that he's dangerous and the opposing "D" has to look out for him... Bc

Blog Entries

Well then you are arguing points I’m not making. *shrugs*
    Well you seem to be putting more emphasis on blocking than his skill-set... Bc

Blog Entries

Well you seem to be putting more emphasis on blocking than his skill-set... Bc
    How so?

Scratching my head, I looked at my posts again.

I think you are reading something into/from my posts that I’m not saying.

Have to agree with your take here. Hill is a very talented runner who needs to improve as a pass blocker. Obvious passing downs usually indicates that the running back isn't a target unless it's a designed play, and he usually becomes an option after engaging and blocking a pass rusher. If he can't do that at an NFL level, his best case is as a 2 down runner and he'll be limited in the passing game. I really like his upside and think we may have found a gem, or worst case, a perfect complimentary piece to the offense.

IMO his issues are more willingness in pass pro.

I think he actually frames decently well and plays with good pad level. But too often he'll try and do the shoulder nudge to avoid contact. It's an issue you'll see with some smaller guys who just straight up don't want to. He'll set up the guy where all he has to do is his extension, but instead he leans with his shoulder to the side.

I think he can put that together and I'd be more concerned if I saw a ton of technique issues, but in that regard I'm actually not too concerned with.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB