Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: First Multi-City Sports Team?

This is a precursor to moving the team permanently to Montreal. Nothing more. They are working to put a stadium deal in place.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePill View Post
    This is a precursor to moving the team permanently to Montreal. Nothing more. They are working to put a stadium deal in place.
    it is at the very least a threat to move. they want a new stadium one way or the other

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    it is at the very least a threat to move. they want a new stadium one way or the other
    Agree

I think that there's an obvious solution that's staring everyone in the face. We could even probably support 34-36 teams really.

Take the teams out of the small market and/or landlocked teams and move them to the major markets. I know that there are legal ramifications and "territory issues" but when NY has two top 5 market teams, and LA has two top 5 market teams and smaller markets can't support one, make it so that the only teams are in mid markets, and the top markets split 5-6 teams or more.

Or short of that, just have a hard cap and a hard floor with better revenue sharing and don't worry about market size at all. The league is booming with money bursting at the seems. The big market teams could pretty much subsidize the smaller market teams and just pay them to play them if they don't want to fork over the territorial rights. In the NFL, money isn't really an issue. Almost every team spends the cap, and everyone gets close to it. If the MLB just had a system like that where money didn't really matter, market size wouldn't really be a thing people cared about.

Another two cents I wanted to add is that Boston isn't necessarily a great market in itself. Sure, there's a lot of money up there, but Boston is a small city. I think its only considered a big market because everybody is so sports crazed and the teams always do well. If the teams weren't historically good, I don't think that Boston would be up there with the NY or LA market. It would probably similar to the DC market but a little smaller.

What if teams weren't assigned to cities AT ALL?
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Then it would be pretty tough to sell 81 games if that was the situation. These guys aren’t rock stars who can move from town to town.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Excellent thought! I'd name my team the "Gypsies" as they'd travel from town to town displaying their football wares to the local folks... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Trackmaster View Post
    I think that there's an obvious solution that's staring everyone in the face. We could even probably support 34-36 teams really.

Take the teams out of the small market and/or landlocked teams and move them to the major markets. I know that there are legal ramifications and "territory issues" but when NY has two top 5 market teams, and LA has two top 5 market teams and smaller markets can't support one, make it so that the only teams are in mid markets, and the top markets split 5-6 teams or more.

Or short of that, just have a hard cap and a hard floor with better revenue sharing and don't worry about market size at all. The league is booming with money bursting at the seems. The big market teams could pretty much subsidize the smaller market teams and just pay them to play them if they don't want to fork over the territorial rights. In the NFL, money isn't really an issue. Almost every team spends the cap, and everyone gets close to it. If the MLB just had a system like that where money didn't really matter, market size wouldn't really be a thing people cared about.

Another two cents I wanted to add is that Boston isn't necessarily a great market in itself. Sure, there's a lot of money up there, but Boston is a small city. I think its only considered a big market because everybody is so sports crazed and the teams always do well. If the teams weren't historically good, I don't think that Boston would be up there with the NY or LA market. It would probably similar to the DC market but a little smaller.

Just for giggles, something I call Floating Realignment.

1) A balanced scheduled.

2) Divisions based on team payroll.
    Boardwalk division of three teams; Kentucky Avenue division of eight teams; Baltic Avenue division of four teams.

3) Division winners and one wildcard make the playoffs.
    Baltic Avenue division winners with less than a .500 record do not make the playoffs, instead the spot goes to non-playoff team with the best record.

No team will want to be the worst team in the Boardwalk Division (a ton of money spent on a non-playoff team). Thus, downward pressure on salaries.

But even teams in the Baltic Division see hope of a making the playoffs. Thus upward pressure on salaries.

Teams at the salary tier margins will manipulate contracts to force themselves or other teams into and out of different tiers. The creates chance a Game of Thrones-like intrigue amongst front offices during the offseaon.

The point is simply that the big-markets should be competing against big markets while small markets compete against small markets. Permit fans of even small market teams to have a hopeful summer. But hope isn't merit. That's why a balanced scheduled increases the possibility that the better teams (usually the highest payroll teams) get what they deserve: wins. And for teams who lose, the offseason can be spent talking about how GM X got outmaneuvered by GM Y and how GM Y can get even next year by signing (or not) Player Z.

montrebay rayspos

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: First Multi-City Sports Team?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    montrebay rayspos
    Baldy, I like yours better than mine (TaMpreal ExpoRays)... Bc

Its really a race (between MLB and the NFL) to see who can KILL off their sport the quickest. My bet is still on the NFL. I bet the owners don't realize that NORMAL human beings can get along quite nicely without them.

Blog Entries

Question Re: First Multi-City Sports Team?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    Its really a race (between MLB and the NFL) to see who can KILL off their sport the quickest. My bet is still on the NFL. I bet the owners don't realize that NORMAL human beings can get along quite nicely without them.
    C&D, do you mean like this board can get quite along nicely without you?
    ... Bc