Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Yay or Nay: Would You Trade For Clowney?

Side note from the article

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Rank
    “So now you’re 9-5 and you’re feeling pretty good,” Rank said. “One more win gets you into the playoffs, but this is the Ravens though. How do you think this movie plays out? We’ve seen this before – of course, you’re going to lose to the Browns. Now, you’ve got to beat the Steelers at home to get into the playoffs – obviously [a loss].”
    Obviously, fuck you Mr. Rank.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    If I could get him at market rate for a pass rusher, I may be interested, but I absolutely would not give up a first round pick (likely more than just 1 at that) plus that market rate contract for a guy who has never had double digit sacks and who has played 16 games once in his career.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I also think you are massively overrating Judon if you think he's comparable to Clowney in any way, but this fan base has consistently overrated Judon since he's been here, so I'm not surprised. He's the more cost effective option, that doesn't make him anywhere near Clowney's league as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Once again, nothing substantial in the article about actual trade talks or meetings or anything. Simply an opinion piece. Not even with speculative terms. How am I supposed to give a good answer to this?

So the answer is: maybe.
    I mean the article is about people randomly speculating to kill time during a dead period in the football year

So, the way to give a good answer is to randomly speculate lmao

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Side note from the article

Obviously, fuck you Mr. Rank.
    “We’ve seen this before, of course you’re going to lose to the Browns.” Yeah it’s been a full zero regular season games since we last beat a division opponent with our season on the line.

Hello no. I would not give up one 1st round pick and a monster contract to Clowney. He has never had double digit sacks. There are long term concerns with his knee. He had microfracture surgery. He had a lisfranc foot injury. Its one thing to take the risk on someone like Clowney with a big contract but giving up a 1st rounder on top of it would be crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Hello no. I would not give up one 1st round pick and a monster contract to Clowney. He has never had double digit sacks. There are long term concerns with his knee. He had microfracture surgery. He had a lisfranc foot injury. Its one thing to take the risk on someone like Clowney with a big contract but giving up a 1st rounder on top of it would be crazy.
    So in a vacuum you’re right, but I think this is a team with a ton of depth, a ton of talented players under control for cheap, and a lack of major impact players. That’s exactly the time to take a risk like this.

As to Clowney being an impact player, I agree you’d like to see more production out of him but I don’t think his production sufficiently measures the way he affects the game. He’s a gravitational force, commanding a ton of attention from OCs and OLs, regardless of his numbers. He’s still the kind of talent that can destroy a game at a moment’s notice. Just like Earl is going to open things up for the guys in front of him, Clowney would do the same for the rest of the pass rush.

I honestly think our pass rush rotation will be super effective as is, maybe that’s just bias. But we had like no pass rush last year, we got sacks because of our secondary, which has gotten better, and everything I’ve heard about Shane Ray and McPhee has been positive!

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    So in a vacuum you’re right, but I think this is a team with a ton of depth, a ton of talented players under control for cheap, and a lack of major impact players. That’s exactly the time to take a risk like this.

As to Clowney being an impact player, I agree you’d like to see more production out of him but I don’t think his production sufficiently measures the way he affects the game. He’s a gravitational force, commanding a ton of attention from OCs and OLs, regardless of his numbers. He’s still the kind of talent that can destroy a game at a moment’s notice. Just like Earl is going to open things up for the guys in front of him, Clowney would do the same for the rest of the pass rush.

Clowney is better than Judon, but I don't see him as the kind of talent you are describing. His injury history is scary and his numbers are unimpressive. Clowney's last two years combined: 18.5 sacks/42 QB hits/106 tackles. Judon in the same timeframe: 15 sacks/39 QB hits/102 tackles. Clowney is making $16M this year to Judon's $2M. I'd be surprised if the Ravens made a play for him.

only if they throw in Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I honestly think our pass rush rotation will be super effective as is, maybe that’s just bias. But we had like no pass rush last year, we got sacks because of our secondary, which has gotten better, and everything I’ve heard about Shane Ray and McPhee has been positive!
    I'm not sure it's going to be any better than last year. And it wasn't very good last year.

We're basically praying someone breaks out or that Ferguson has a huge rookie season. McPhee will likely be a downgrade from Za. He's a very smart player and I think he'll create good looks for others, but I'm not sure how much he'll create himself. However, who's going to be the go getter? Shane Ray and Tim Willaims would have to be surprises, which isn't impossible, but I also wouldn't bank on it. So basically my hope is going into A) Judon having a monster contract year and B) Ferguson, who was a pro ready prospect given his physical traits, having early success as a rookie.

That said, the opportunity for Ray/Williams to surprise is certainly there. I'm just not expecting it, that's all.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Maybe I'm crazy but I've never seen anything out of Clowney that jumps off the page. With the talent he has played with in Houston he should have been a wrecking force DPOY level player in the NFL the last few years based on the way some of you are describing him. I would have been on board with signing him as a free agent but definitely don't want to give up high draft picks for him. Plus I think injuries could be a lingering concern for him going forward.

I would do a trade like that for DeAndre Hopkins, not for Clowney. Don't get me wrong, he's a physical freak, but it hasn't translated to the field like it should have. That's not including the injury history.

I've also never been a fan of giving up a 1st round pick and more for a guy on the last year of his contract. Yeah you can hope he signs a fair enough deal, but he holds all the cards because he'll know how desperate the team would be to have not given up a 1st and more for a one year rental