Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: What completion % would you be happy with Lamar

I'm happy with 10+ wins, playoff wins, division titles, and don't really care how we get there to be honest. If we can get 12 wins running the ball literally 95% of the time, let's ground and pound baby.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I'm happy with 10+ wins, playoff wins, division titles, and don't really care how we get there to be honest. If we can get 12 wins running the ball literally 95% of the time, let's ground and pound baby.
    Paul Johnson Triple option FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I do agree with others that YPA is likely going to be a bigger tell.
    Oh of course. YPA is always more important than comp%.

Lamar's YPA was actually quite decent last season, for a rookie -- somewhere around 20th or 25th in the league. I think the driver was that he was more effective throwing the intermediate and deep ball than the short passes. The incompletes LOOKED bad; but the ones he completed were nicely productive.

we disagreed about that article, but we agree here. Id liked to see him in the 60-62%. I think that would be realistically attainable. He had 58% last year
    Agree that its attainable. Lamar was crazy close to that last season. Just one more completion per start, and he would've been up over 62%, around 62 & a half (in his starts).

Honestly, he should be able to pick up that extra completion EASILY. Just a normal growth projection and a year of work as The Starter should pick that up "automatically". To my mind 61-62% is the floor of what we should expect from him.

But yeah, he gets over that threshold and I think everyone is more comfortable. It'll be more obvious he's functioning as a "normal" QB. One nice benefit will be that a lot of the "noise" around him will quiet down. We'll get to focus on games.

Completion percentage is a pretty useless stat

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    In 1964, Unitas had a completion pct of 51.8. He was MVP.

YPA is more important than comp pct.
    In 1964 only one guy had a completion % higher than 55%. Last year 30 QBs were above 60%. There is literally zero comparison to be made between then and now. If he's not at least 60%, it's not good enough IMO. He was what, 57% last year? In a short passing offense like this figures to be I don't think it's too much to ask him to improve by 3 % points.

I do agree with others that YPA is likely going to be a bigger tell. Hes going to be throwing more deep passes most likely, which means lower completion and more YPA. so what id like to see is within that range, but theoretically he could regress in completion % and the offense be better for it.
    YPA may be more meaningful but if his completion % is lower than the 57-58% it was last year, I don't see how the offense is better in any way. Guys with highest YPA (8 YPA or higher) last year were all in the mid 60s to 70s in completion %. It's purely wishful thinking imo, that the offense will be successful with him being that inaccurate.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    YPA may be more meaningful but if his completion % is lower than the 57-58% it was last year, I don't see how the offense is better in any way. Guys with highest YPA (8 YPA or higher) last year were all in the mid 60s to 70s in completion %. It's purely wishful thinking imo, that the offense will be successful with him being that inaccurate.
    well i dont expect him to be a top QB in the same way those guys are and more importantly used in the same way they are. I expect a lot lower # of attempts than any of them and while they rely on their arms to complete 3rd downs and shorter higher percentage passes, I think hell be using his legs more. so in theory, I do think he can be around the same, including a bit lower, and if he hits on his deeper passes at a higher rate, opening up the running lanes more, he could still improve the offense. if he hits enough to take away a defender in the box, its going to be hard to stop them running, which isnt going to effect his completion percentage one way or another. so it all comes down to what percentage of his deep passes account for his overall completion percentage. the higher that number is, the more likely were running at will effectively, which is what i believe they want.
    -JAB

Completion percentage is like pitchers throwing strikes. In baseball strikes are only good if they don’t get hit for basehits. In football completions only matter if they gain first downs or put points on the scoreboard.

I’m more interested in turn overs. How many fumbles does he make? How many interceptions does he throw? How many dropped balls does he have? How many open receivers does he miss?

He should be near 60% in completions but what happens with the other 40% matters more. Plus or minus 5-10% is no big deal if he does not turn over the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    In 1964, Unitas had a completion pct of 51.8. He was MVP.

YPA is more important than comp pct.
    Did you really just pull out a comparison to 55 years ago? I think the game of football has changed just a little bit since then.

61%.

Based on the amount of running and the run heavy offense he is going to have a lot of favorable matchups in the passing game. He is not going to be asked to make a ton of tough throws each game. His completion % needs to be higher than 60%.

Blog Entries

well i dont expect him to be a top QB in the same way those guys are and more importantly used in the same way they are. I expect a lot lower # of attempts than any of them and while they rely on their arms to complete 3rd downs and shorter higher percentage passes, I think hell be using his legs more. so in theory, I do think he can be around the same, including a bit lower, and if he hits on his deeper passes at a higher rate, opening up the running lanes more, he could still improve the offense. if he hits enough to take away a defender in the box, its going to be hard to stop them running, which isnt going to effect his completion percentage one way or another. so it all comes down to what percentage of his deep passes account for his overall completion percentage. the higher that number is, the more likely were running at will effectively, which is what i believe they want.
    What do you think his attempts are going to be in 2019? Are we expecting 2004 Michael Vick? That's kind of what it sounds like. He was 55~% completion on 320 passes (which is 20 attempts a game) w/ 7.2 YPA, 2300 yards, 14/12, and another 900 yards on the ground. Which wouldn't be terrible, the Falcons did go 11-5 that year, but it will also likely prove to be as unsustainable as it was then.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

I'm only interested in the Win percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by BHSU View Post
    For some people on this board, I would wonder if 80% would be enough for them if he doesn't fix those wobbly passes.
    Yeah. It seems like one bad-looking pass into the dirt has greater weight (negatively) than 5 to 10 completed passes.

I think 60% is doable for him. 61-63 would be fantastic. Can't speak on an acceptable YPA. I'll leave that to the millennials.