Page 1 of 18 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanier on Lamar

Tanier on Lamar

Great piece:

Could Lamar Jackson Have Mahomes-Like Breakout? Ravens Are Trying to Find out
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ng-to-find-out
    If this year's minicamp is any indication, the Lamar Jackson the Ravens are getting this fall looks a lot better than the one they had in training camp last year.

Jackson didn't look phenomenal, mind you. There's a lot of work to be done if he hopes to have a Patrick Mahomes-caliber second-season breakout. There are still errant passes, routine throws with a Tim Tebow wobble instead of a tight spiral, and more interceptions than anyone but a defensive coordinator wants to see in June. But Jackson looks and sounds sharper and more accurate, decisive and confident than he did last offseason.

Just as important, he looks comfortable in a newfangled offense that, according to Ravens coaches, has been completely rebuilt...

And what does Jackson like about this new smartphone of an offense?

"Everything," Jackson said Thursday. "Everything."

It's hard to get a feel for what an offense will look like while watching spring practices in shorts. But the Ravens appear to be doing many non-traditional things on a fundamental level....

Tanier did one from training camp last year (linked in this piece), that said Flacco was clearly the best QB in camp. Lamar was promising, but he had a ways to go. So he has context for a before-and-after view of how Lamar looks now compared to then.

Also plenty in there on how the new offense differs from the prior one, and what it might look like. Very much worth a read.

Blog Entries

Re: Tanier on Lamar

Good read.

Blog Entries

I dont like hearing that hes still having plenty of issues with "routine" passes wobbling and being errant. means that the offseason of working on his mechanics didnt pay off. Was kind of hoping for a big jump in that department at the very least, as completing those routine ones will greatly improve his impact and are the most easily correctable. Thats not something that will get much better during TC, when theyre going to be focused on the new offense and gaining chemistry. a little misleading to talk about those things but still say his accuracy is greatly improved. guess well have to wait to see four ourselves. Confidence being high is a great thing though, hopefully that keeps on an upward trajectory.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I dont like hearing that hes still having plenty of issues with "routine" passes wobbling and being errant. means that the offseason of working on his mechanics didnt pay off. Was kind of hoping for a big jump in that department at the very least, as completing those routine ones will greatly improve his impact. Thats not something that will get much better during TC, when theyre going to be focused on the new offense and gaining chemistry. a little misleading to talk about those things but still say his accuracy is greatly improved. guess well have to wait to see four ourselves. Confidence being high is a great thing though, hopefully that keeps on an upward trajectory.
    What

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    What
    right from the OP...

Jackson didn't look phenomenal, mind you. There's a lot of work to be done if he hopes to have a Patrick Mahomes-caliber second-season breakout. There are still errant passes, routine throws with a Tim Tebow wobble instead of a tight spiral, and more interceptions than anyone but a defensive coordinator wants to see
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I dont like hearing that hes still having plenty of issues with "routine" passes wobbling and being errant. means that the offseason of working on his mechanics didnt pay off. Was kind of hoping for a big jump in that department at the very least, as completing those routine ones will greatly improve his impact and are the most easily correctable. Thats not something that will get much better during TC, when theyre going to be focused on the new offense and gaining chemistry. a little misleading to talk about those things but still say his accuracy is greatly improved. guess well have to wait to see four ourselves. Confidence being high is a great thing though, hopefully that keeps on an upward trajectory.
    I agree. It's definitely not something you want to hear. Amid the concerns of working with a QB coach that didn't have a great resume vs. someone more established, it's a little frustrating.

Still hard to really determine much. We'll see in August what's up.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

What
    This:
    There are still errant passes, routine throws with a Tim Tebow wobble instead of a tight spiral, and more interceptions than anyone but a defensive coordinator wants to see in June
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

8. Re: Tanier on Lamar

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I agree. It's definitely not something you want to hear. Amid the concerns of working with a QB coach that didn't have a great resume vs. someone more established, it's a little frustrating.

Still hard to really determine much. We'll see in August what's up.
    While it's not GREAT news, I thought the original QB coach noted that there were enough things to work on (stance, hips, shoulders, elbow), that they had to pick their battles?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

If you could completely eliminate that weakness by working hard five days a week for three months no one would have any weaknesses lol. It’s going to be a continuous process that requires continuous effort, expecting it to be completely fixed already was nothing but a fantasy.

The work paying off will be indicated by incremental improvements, and by the sound of it we’ve seen that. He just needs to keep working.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    This:
    No I read the article. That doesn’t make that comment any more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    While it's not GREAT news, I thought the original QB coach noted that there were enough things to work on (stance, hips, shoulders, elbow), that they had to pick their battles?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Original QB coach being Harris?

I don't think what he said is unreasonable. I was perosnally hoping I wouldn't hear about any more errant passes. I don't expect every pass to be a completition of course, but I definitely dont' want to see them randomly going into the dirt anymore. I think that's what Jab is referring to anyway. Maybe I'm wrong.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

the odd thing here for me is that you think wanting my qb to be able to make routine passes look routine is unreasonable.

the vast majority of NFL QBs dont have those issues (including backups), hence the definition of "routine pass". I dont think its unreasonable to expect him to make them look routine and when youre talking about the easiest passes he can make, id expect to see improvement there before anywhere else. Unreasonable would be expecting him to improve accuracy on backshoulder passes or middle of the field which are inherently more difficult. the distinction of "routine" is important as i wouldnt expect a big leap in those other areas.
    -JAB