Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanier on Lamar

Re: Tanier on Lamar

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    So you think a reasonable expectation is that after one offseason he would never miss a routine throw again? You think that’s realistic?
    Get the hyperbole out of here.

Absolutely not. What I'm saying is that reading this:

There are still errant passes, routine throws with a Tim Tebow wobble instead of a tight spiral, and more interceptions than anyone but a defensive coordinator wants to see in June.
    is not encouraging after many of us had a conversation about how we thought he could have picked a better QB coach to work with. I don't understnad how that is unreasonable.

it doesn't mean he has to be perfect. It doesn't mean the season is doomed or whatever other type of hyperbole you're going to draw up. It means it's not encouraging.

Combine this with all of the other reports about the inconsistencies in mini-camp and yeah I'm a little nervous.

However, some of the other items are super encouraging. We all saw him progress as a guy that can control the pocket so to hear that has progressed even more is awesome.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

This was an article *about his improvement* and people are saying his work didn’t pay off because he isn’t literally perfect yet.
    This is absolute horseshit. I'm not going to engage if you're going to misquote like this.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    This is absolute horseshit. I'm not going to engage if you're going to misquote like this.
    Damn bro calm down. The Raptors are world champs, it’s all good.

JAB literally said the occasional wobbly throws “means the offseason of working on his mechanics didn’t pay off.” Based on an article that stressed how much better his accuracy was and how much better he looked overall than last year. I would say garnering national articles about your improvement means your work is paying off even if said article included one sentence about there still being the occasional errant throw.

Damn bro calm down. The Raptors are world champs, it’s all good.

JAB literally said the occasional wobbly throws “means the offseason of working on his mechanics didn’t pay off.” Based on an article that stressed how much better his accuracy was and how much better he looked overall than last year. I would say garnering national articles about your improvement means your work is paying off even if said article included one sentence about there still being the occasional errant throw.
    I'll make this very clear about my expectations. His progress from preaseason to week 10 (which is roughly 3 months) was huge IMO (and I dont think that got enough credit TBH). His ability in the pocket, the way he moved (he looked a full step slower runnign the ball in preseasons games 1 and 2), the way he went through his progressions (which got better each start), etc. was pretty damn impressive for a guy taht got thrown into the fray and was likely expecting to be a backup guy all year.

His arm mechanics were off, but that's fine. I expected him to spend his 3 months working on that because he already showed so much progress elsewhere. So I do understand there's so much to do in such little time, and I respect that, I wonder what he worked on if not his arm mechanics. I think he improved the aspects mentioned above to a good point that he should have brought his arm mechanics to that same level of improvement.

So to hear reports that there's still inconsistencies, that are likely coming from poor arm mechanics and footwork again, is nto encouraging and absolutely makes me question his offseason work with his QB coach.

Of course, I could be wrong, that could be all they focused on and its another issue and not that, but based on reports it doesn't sound like it. Which is why I said we have to wait till August to really know.

Not once did someone mention perfection. Nor did Jab imply that. Dismissing someones criticsm because you think its unreasonable is why everyone gets up in arms about these insane debates and why there's a reputation that you can't critique Lamar.

Objectively, it seems pretty damn reasonable.
    - Ray Lewis

I'll make this very clear about my expectations. His progress from preaseason to week 10 (which is roughly 3 months) was huge IMO (and I dont think that got enough credit TBH). His ability in the pocket, the way he moved (he looked a full step slower runnign the ball in preseasons games 1 and 2), the way he went through his progressions (which got better each start), etc. was pretty damn impressive for a guy taht got thrown into the fray and was likely expecting to be a backup guy all year.

His arm mechanics were off, but that's fine. I expected him to spend his 3 months working on that because he already showed so much progress elsewhere. So I do understand there's so much to do in such little time, and I respect that, I wonder what he worked on if not his arm mechanics. I think he improved the aspects mentioned above to a good point that he should have brought his arm mechanics to that same level of improvement.

So to hear reports that there's still inconsistencies, that are likely coming from poor arm mechanics and footwork again, is nto encouraging and absolutely makes me question his offseason work with his QB coach.

Of course, I could be wrong, that could be all they focused on and its another issue and not that, but based on reports it doesn't sound like it. Which is why I said we have to wait till August to really know.

Not once did someone mention perfection. Nor did Jab imply that. Dismissing someones criticsm because you think its unreasonable is why everyone gets up in arms about these insane debates and why there's a reputation that you can't critique Lamar.

Objectively, it seems pretty damn reasonable.
    That sentence didn’t say those inconsistencies were a constant problem. Just that they existed.

Do you honestly think three months of working on mechanics is enough that your mechanics, which you’ve completely overhauled in the last year, aren’t going to be inconsistent enough to warrant a one off sentence in such a write up anymore? Like I honestly don’t understand this.

I think the question is how occasional is occasional? One in ten passes? One in twenty? Is this just a disclaimer or is it part of the author’s actual point? I just wish that was broken down in a more quantifiable way.

DAY RUINED. I'm going to go appreciate Deshon Elliott.

Best of luck to y'all when 7716 and Ravens4Real get here. I'll get the popcorn ready.
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I think the question is how occasional is occasional? One in ten passes? One in twenty? Is this just a disclaimer or is it part of the author’s actual point? I just wish that was broken down in a more quantifiable way.
    I mean it’s not quantifiable at all but it seemed very obvious within the context of the article/its overall tone that it was just a disclaimer

That sentence didn’t say those inconsistencies were a constant problem. Just that they existed.

Do you honestly think three months of working on mechanics is enough that your mechanics, which you’ve completely overhauled in the last year, aren’t going to be inconsistent enough to warrant a one off sentence in such a write up anymore? Like I honestly don’t understand this.
    Well Shrubbs hit on it, it's hard to know how constant they were.

Like I said, I've combiend with with other reports from guys that were there (including JZ who I don't think is one of the clickbaity folks that attend) and to see everyone, across multiple days mentioning them, is concerning to me. Of course, Lamar is under a microscope which needs ot be factored in, which I thought I did by clearly saying we won't know till August when we actually see some of this stuff for ourselves.

I think it extends beyond one sentence and has been a theme of reports coming out of camp from multiple news sources.
    - Ray Lewis

DAY RUINED. I'm going to go appreciate Deshon Elliott.

Best of luck to y'all when 7716 and Ravens4Real get here. I'll get the popcorn ready.
    Seriously kid I do not get what your expectations were. I’m honestly not trying to be an ass, I just really don’t understand. Every report said his mechanics looked better. And like, of *course* they aren’t consistent yet. He’s 22 and he’s completely overhauled them in the last year.

Well Shrubbs hit on it, it's hard to know how constant they were.

Like I said, I've combiend with with other reports from guys that were there (including JZ who I don't think is one of the clickbaity folks that attend) and to see everyone, across multiple days mentioning them, is concerning to me. Of course, Lamar is under a microscope which needs ot be factored in, which I thought I did by clearly saying we won't know till August when we actually see some of this stuff for ourselves.

I think it extends beyond one sentence and has been a theme of reports coming out of camp from multiple news sources.
    I’d say the overall theme is that he looks improved despite the occasional fluttery pass. Do you disagree?

I’d say the overall theme is that he looks improved despite the occasional fluttery pass. Do you disagree?
    Improved for sure. But there were a lot of reports about how they were still inconsistent with a lot of overthrows.

Like I said in the other threads, I don't perosnally care about the wobbly passes. I don't think they're really the problem becuase some of his wobbles were well placed.

The issue for me was him setting his feet and throwing with a narrow base which caused the ball to go high or low. I was more concerned with the errant passes, which was consistent with other reports.
    - Ray Lewis