Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: How different will the offense be?

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    We won't have a 'good idea' of what the O is until at least the 4th game of the regular season. The preseason will be the plainest of vanilla - Same old, same old.
    So what you're saying is the preseason offense will be what the offense was in the regular season under Flacco?

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    You're the only man I'll ever overhype sug
    Yes Yes Yes LOL Seriously with all the good things I’ve been hearing about Jones recently he could turn out to be a pretty good prospect

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoothSayer View Post
    Yes Yes Yes LOL Seriously with all the good things I’ve been hearing about Jones recently he could turn out to be a pretty good prospect
    Watch the analysis video I posted back in the other thread

I don't even want Lamar playing much in preseason.

1 series each in all 4 games and done. I'm perfectly fine with that.
    I want him to throw more than running during the preseason

Watch the analysis video I posted back in the other thread
    I saw it which started to change my mind about Jones, I’m still taking Lamar over him but Jones is definitely not a scrub or a Jag, he’s much better than the current version of Eli

I think it will be more explosive but not too much different. Better Continuity this year. No Aged wr's taking snaps away from the younger guys. We seemingly have the best talent on offense in a while going into TC. Our TE set could be the best in the league at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    John Harbaugh has always preferred that Bo Schembechler style of football. If forced to, he will deviate from it, but if he had his way that's how he would win.
    I'm sorry, you're just wrong about this.

There is just a different glow to him when the Ravens win a game in that manner. It's very noticeable.
    What do you think of this glow? Different, or the same?

Greg Roman has long been, not only a run-first coach, but a run-heavy coach.
    You mean, obsessed with offensive balance?

(pass plays = attempts + sacks)
    Year Run Pass
    2011 50.2% 49.8%
    2012 50.8% 49.2%
    2013 52.5% 47.5%
    2014 46.6% 53.4%
    2015 50.1% 49.9%
    2016* 43.9% 56.1%
    career 49.9% 50.1%
    *2 games

Only ONE season in Roman's entire career with 51%+ rushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Telling you - look at how Andy Reid uses the RB out of the backfield and opens up a lot of easy throws. That’s the trend
    RWT is right about this. It's going to be most like Roman's running game and Reid's passing game grafted together. Though I don't think it'll be precisely like that either; but most similar to that, among the things we've seen and guessed about.

Running: the plays will be a lot like what we saw last year, power and counter with a lot of misdirection and wham-blocks from the TEs, + options or RPOs, with some Jet sweep or Orbit sweep -motion window-dressing using Marquise. (And maybe Justice.)

Passing: West Coast & Spread concepts, with RPOs and as much Oklahoma stuff as we can steal. Remember that Reid was a classic WCO coach. He spiced up his scheme with college stuff, including spread / air-raid stuff. Culley was there for that. Roman also was mostly a WCO coach on the passing side; he added to his scheme a lot of college stuff; and now Culley is here.

I also hope we do a better job making pass plays look like run plays, and vice versa. Running different things out of the same look. A Brown said going into our season finale, that we had been doing a pretty good job of that:

“The Ravens have done a lot of good things this year in the last couple of games, mixing in play-action off of runs and looks that they have used previously in the game,” said Browns linebacker Joe Schobert, who will try to stop Jackson on Sunday.
    I hope that's true, and that we do more & more & more of it. I'm sure that's on Roman's radar: that long profile of him from after the '12 SB outright says as much.

Here are some RPOs from last season – I think they were RPOs, not simple play-action passes – Lamar misses the first one badly, but try to look at the scheme more than the play result:

That could be Ingram or Justice Hill catching the first one; Marquise catching the second.

Also, here's a Triple Option RPO play we ran last year, that I LOVED:

TE motions L-to-R across the formation. After the snap, Lamar has the option to hand it off to the back.
    Here Lamar keeps it and rolls right. And now he has three receivers running routes in front of him!
    • The Z runs deep, sort of up the seam.
    • The slot sort of wheels out to the sideline.
    • The motion TE is running toward the flat.

As played, the TE draws the last two defenders on the line of scrimmage, so Lamar cuts inside and breaks off a pretty easy 17-yd gain.

But this was no simple read-option run. Those receivers were running real routes. The TE was definitely viable for the first down. And look again: the moment Lamar sticks his foot in the ground (at about the 20) and decisively cuts upfield, that's the same moment the Z comes clear of the crossing safety, who is biting on the outside action. The bomb could have hit, on this play! Would be a similar throw to the TD Lamar hit to Andrews against the Chargers.

This is a fantastic play. We should run it ten times a game. I don't see how a defense is anything but fucked, facing that. Their best option might be to play off and concede the ~5 yards up the middle from Gus or Ingram.

I think we've already seen a lot of what the offense will be. Add in some of what we saw from Lamar in the 4th Qs of games this season, and some spread / KC / Oklahoma stuff, and there you go.

Different; but not that different.
    Last edited by JimZipCode; 06-17-2019 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoothSayer View Post
    I want him to throw more than running during the preseason
    He can't help it it's his instinct to run. Best we can do is let him play just one series a game

He can't help it it's his instinct to run. Best we can do is let him play just one series a game
    Who, McSorley? You're probably right.

Or rather, how different can it be?

They were already running the west coast offense last season which is the best offensive scheme for Lamar so how different could it be? IMO the important part is not so much changing the offense (maybe just the playcalling), but helping Lamar master that scheme.

I wish we had Kubiak because an offense like the one we saw from say 2005 Denver would be perfect for his skillset. It had Plummer looking somewhat decent even.

A lot of bootlegs. Sweeps. Off-tackle runs, etc.
    I think you were watching a different qb than I was last year when it came to rolling out.

I could be wrong though. I'll see if I can dig up Lamar's numbers in the pocket vs out later.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

So like you’ve literally never watched Lamar Jackson play football I guess. This is just an overwhelmingly inaccurate thing to say.

Your boy Jones bails on the pocket *way* faster than Lamar does.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I don't think it'l be as different as some have speculated. I think we'll see some different things for sure and hopefully the tendencies in terms of playcalling is different, but I don't imagine it's going to be that different.
    Same. I think it's largely going to be the same as last year after Lamar took over, except they are going to throw more. So a lot of running, a lot of passing between the numbers, limited downfield stuff. Coach isn't going to change his stripes now, a decade in. I think the offense will continue to be fairly conservative by design and they'll be leaning heavily on their defense once again.

I expect Andrews to lead the team in most receiving categories and I would be surprised if any WR cracks the top 3 or 4 in receiving stats for this team this year. It's definitely going to be the TE and RB show.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52