Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Profile of Trent Dilfer

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I also think he made the guys around him play better. Wasnt it Shannon Sharpe that said guys played harder for Trent. They didn't want to let him down. There is something to be said for leadership.
    You could see it on the field.

Dilfer was a terrible passer; but, he brought something that the also-terrible Tony Banks did not. The offensive players perked up a little when Dilfer was on there, they played with some toughness and fire.

I agree with those he say we don't win that SB without Dilfer's contribution. I also agree that upgrading the QB position was absolutely the right call. But it seems we chose the wrong QB, that offseason. Tampa signed Brad Johnson, and won the next SB with him.

2. Re: Profile of Trent Dilfer

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    You could see it on the field.

Dilfer was a terrible passer; but, he brought something that the also-terrible Tony Banks did not. The offensive players perked up a little when Dilfer was on there, they played with some toughness and fire.

I agree with those he say we don't win that SB without Dilfer's contribution. I also agree that upgrading the QB position was absolutely the right call. But it seems we chose the wrong QB, that offseason. Tampa signed Brad Johnson, and won the next SB with him.
    Wasn't Johnson the QB that Billick really wanted that offseason? I remember Grbage being the fallback...am I misremembering?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    Wasn't Johnson the QB that Billick really wanted that offseason? I remember Grbage being the fallback – am I misremembering?
    I don't know if we ever knew?

But remember Billick had been in the Niners front office (he was the PR guy) back when Bill Walsh was there. Grbac had been the Niners 3rd-string for a number of years, had been groomed in their system.

I think we offered Grbac early in free agency, maybe even the first day? And I've always assumed that Billick wasn't someone who had been in the Niners system.

Blog Entries

Wasn't Johnson the QB that Billick really wanted that offseason? I remember Grbage being the fallback...am I misremembering?

Yes. They tried to sign Brad Johnson first. Billick had coached him in Minnesota. Johnson was still upset with Billick because he lost his job with the Vikings due to injury and Billick pushed for Randall Cunningham to stay the starter. Johnson signed with the Buccaneers and Ozzie took that same contract to Grbac who signed here.

Don't read the comments section from that article. A bunch of screeching about how football is bad and criticizing Dilfer. SMH

Billick most certainly wanted Brad Johnson over Grbac. He knew Johnson from his time with the Vikings.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Billick most certainly wanted Brad Johnson over Grbac. He knew Johnson from his time with the Vikings.
    Really??

I mean, I know Billick was with the Vikes. But we moved pretty fast on Grbac, when free agency opened. Hard to believe that Billick wasn't on board.

Blog Entries

Really??

I mean, I know Billick was with the Vikes. But we moved pretty fast on Grbac, when free agency opened. Hard to believe that Billick wasn't on board.
    They went for Grbac quickly after Brad Johnson turned them down because there was no other name free agent QB on the market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_J...ican_football)

In 2001, Brad Johnson was pursued by the Baltimore Ravens in the off season (coached by Brian Billick, former offensive coordinator for the Vikings) but he spurned them to join the Bucs.

It was Matt Cavanaugh who got on the table and lobbied for Grbac.

He was coming off two seasons in KC where he tallied 7,500 yards, 50 TDs and 30 INTs.

Because fans loved Trent were were quick to dump on Elvis, but I think it's fair to say that a lack of the passing game was more than a QB issue in those days.

I agree with the earlier statement that anyone, including Tony Banks, could have given them what Trent did.

You have to remember that Billick believed in Banks' arm and ran the offense accordingly. He didn't trust Trent and only allowed him to be the proverbial game manager.

You can see it in the stats from 2000. They each got 8 starts. Throw out the Jets game in Week 17 because they rested guys. Making the switch from Tony to Trent took their avg. passing attempts per game from 20 down to 16, and their rushing attempts went from 28 to 37 per game. Their average ToP went from 33:00 a game to 36:00, largely a reflection of a three-and-out defense all year long, with a bump from using the running game to run clock.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    They went for Grbac quickly after Brad Johnson turned them down because there was no other name free agent QB on the market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_J...ican_football)

In 2001, Brad Johnson was pursued by the Baltimore Ravens in the off season (coached by Brian Billick, former offensive coordinator for the Vikings) but he spurned them to join the Bucs.
    Holy shit!

That's been a plank of my anti-Billick narrative for years. And I've been wrong this whole time. Well – thanks for the facts.

Dammit. We could've won another SB.

Holy shit!

That's been a plank of my anti-Billick narrative for years. And I've been wrong this whole time. Well – thanks for the facts.

Dammit. We could've won another SB.
    other things too

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    other things too