Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone else need a vacation

I need a vacation. I love my job but does anyone else ever get really sick of the area you live in, the same people and just need a desperate break? I'm talking a week away out of town. It's been a year and I need one. I hope I'm not ever the only one who feels this way.

Re: Anyone else need a vacation

I'm going to London next month. Technically I'll be teaching a couple of classes, but eh, as long as they come back alive they'll pass.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Gjennings85 View Post
    I need a vacation. I love my job but does anyone else ever get really sick of the area you live in, the same people and just need a desperate break? I'm talking a week away out of town. It's been a year and I need one. I hope I'm not ever the only one who feels this way.
    Just do not go to the Dominican Republic anytime soon! Big Poppy just got shot.

I went there a year ago. It was a beautiful tropical view once inside the resort but it looked like a demilitarized zone the 30 minute taxi ride from airport to the Resort.
    Very poor country. People are not nice to Westerners unless you are funneling money at them. People were not very nice overall. Would never go back there again.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I mentioned in the free talk thread but trying to plan a beach vacation now. Only problem has been the price of hotels, which is absolutely insane for the nearby beaches here Ocean City or Rehobeth or Virginia Beach. I found an Airbnb in Myrtle Beach for $100 a night, it's a full condo on a golf course, so we're probably going there. Driving I-95 in the summer is especially horrid but the cost difference is so much it just makes more sense to go down there. $100 a night wouldn't even get you the shittiest of the shitty places in OC.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Yeah, I mentioned in the free talk thread but trying to plan a beach vacation now. Only problem has been the price of hotels, which is absolutely insane for the nearby beaches here Ocean City or Rehobeth or Virginia Beach. I found an Airbnb in Myrtle Beach for $100 a night, it's a full condo on a golf course, so we're probably going there. Driving I-95 in the summer is especially horrid but the cost difference is so much it just makes more sense to go down there. $100 a night wouldn't even get you the shittiest of the shitty places in OC.
    Never been to Myrtle Beach before but I hear its not much fun for the kids. I hear its less people so I could appreciate that aspect.

I love vacations since I work so many damn hours and days but I hate staying anywhere but my home. Even the nicer hotels like the Gaylord in DC which was over $200 a night had issues, bed dirty and uncomfortable etc...

I have massive fear of ever getting bed bugs so every time I stay anywhere I am inspecting every crevice.

There is a local guy with you tube channel, Dan something who makes videos called (Another dirty room) on hotel inspections and its in Maryland. Give that a look and youll never want to go on vacation again.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post

I have massive fear of ever getting bed bugs so every time I stay anywhere I am inspecting every crevice.

There is a local guy with you tube channel, Dan something who makes videos called (Another dirty room) on hotel inspections and its in Maryland. Give that a look and youll never want to go on vacation again.
    Same thing on the bed bugs front, I had a friend that got them when I was in high school. She was seriously experiencing PTSD symptoms dealing with those little bastards.

I have been terrified of being anywhere near them since. Every hotel, no matter how expensive/nice, I have to go in and tear it apart before I bring my luggage in.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Never been to Myrtle Beach before but I hear its not much fun for the kids. I hear its less people so I could appreciate that aspect.

I love vacations since I work so many damn hours and days but I hate staying anywhere but my home. Even the nicer hotels like the Gaylord in DC which was over $200 a night had issues, bed dirty and uncomfortable etc...

My in-laws go to myrtle every summer and take my niece and nephew and they have a blast. It's def a family-friendly place to go.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I didn't like Myrtle when I was a kid because they didn't have the arcades that Ocean City did, which was my favorite part of vacation every year, not the beach, not anything else, it was spending all day in the arcades while my parents were on the beach. Arcades as I knew them in the 90's are basically dead now, but Myrtle has built up their "downtown" area with a small boardwalk and things to do. Don't know that I would agree that it isn't great for kids, but I don't have any so I can't really comment.

I don't know that it's less crowded than OC, everything is just more spread out than OC so it gives off the feeling it's not as crowded. It's not just one 5 mile strip or whatever the length of OC is smushed between a bay and an ocean.

My preference is still Ocean City, but I'm just not paying over a grand for a 4 night stay at a decent place. The price gouging that goes on over there during summer is insane. The top hotels like the Hilton are over $500 a NIGHT! And it's not even a damn resort, it's a standard hotel with a couple pools. Ridiculous.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    Same thing on the bed bugs front, I had a friend that got them when I was in high school. She was seriously experiencing PTSD symptoms dealing with those little bastards.

I have been terrified of being anywhere near them since. Every hotel, no matter how expensive/nice, I have to go in and tear it apart before I bring my luggage in.
    Yeah I am massively freaked out by that shit. Even when I buy stuff at stores I check shit like clothing etc...

On nextdoor.com today and week ago there are some people who learned the hard way, took FREE furniture that some place put out and shit was infested now their houose is infested with bed bugs and they are devastated.

I would have to move and foreclose on my my house. lol

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    My in-laws go to myrtle every summer and take my niece and nephew and they have a blast. It's def a family-friendly place to go.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I just hear its rather boring for kids. Its geared more towards adults. Like someone said, no arcades, not as much fun places to take the kids too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I didn't like Myrtle when I was a kid because they didn't have the arcades that Ocean City did, which was my favorite part of vacation every year, not the beach, not anything else, it was spending all day in the arcades while my parents were on the beach. Arcades as I knew them in the 90's are basically dead now, but Myrtle has built up their "downtown" area with a small boardwalk and things to do. Don't know that I would agree that it isn't great for kids, but I don't have any so I can't really comment.

I don't know that it's less crowded than OC, everything is just more spread out than OC so it gives off the feeling it's not as crowded. It's not just one 5 mile strip or whatever the length of OC is smushed between a bay and an ocean.

My preference is still Ocean City, but I'm just not paying over a grand for a 4 night stay at a decent place. The price gouging that goes on over there during summer is insane. The top hotels like the Hilton are over $500 a NIGHT! And it's not even a damn resort, it's a standard hotel with a couple pools. Ridiculous.
    I went one time to the NJ boardwalk Atlantic City and it was dead. Nothing like Ocean Citys

I think the price gouging is ridiculous, not just the hotels but restaraunts too. My wife has always wanted a beach home but its just too damn much to try and buy something there.

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, it sucks at restaurants too. There's a really shitty buffet in OC called Paul Revere Smorgasbord, I mean it's terrible, one of the absolute worst, but we went there every year when I was a kid. Once I started going as an adult I understood, it was like $12 for an adult buffet compared to like $30-40 for anywhere else. No wonder my parents took our family of 4 there lol.

When we travel to tourist areas now we do one pricey meal then try to find reasonable stuff for the rest. In MB, we usually do the expensive meal at Rioz which is a Brazilian steakhouse and delicious. It's about $100 for 2 people but totally worth it. In OC, either Phillips buffet or Hooper's AYCE crabs.
    back on twitter