Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Anyone else need a vacation

I'm headed out to Deep Creek this weekend with another family. She and her family live in Pittsburgh, but we met back in high school through Ravens Band almost 20 years ago.

Rent a big house (cheaper than a hotel), cook at the house for most of the meals (better food than eating out, but you don't have to do all the cooking every night), and split the rent/meals. As long as you like your friends that much, it works.

Then there's next year, and we're taking our 4 kids to Disney. We went back in 2014, and have been waiting for the opportunity to go back, especially now that the Star Wars section of Hollywood Studios will be opening at the end of this summer. Yeah, it's going to cost a small fortune, but we had a blast last time, and the two kids back then were amazed by everything. Next year, the younger two will be about the age our older two were, and the older two are still young enough (10 and almost 8 by next year) that it's still magic, or at least willing to entertain the thought. For the will-be 10 year old, there's the promise of walking around inside of and flying the Millenium Falcon (and really, who wouldn't want to do that?)

Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post
    I'm headed out to Deep Creek this weekend with another family. She and her family live in Pittsburgh, but we met back in high school through Ravens Band almost 20 years ago.

Rent a big house (cheaper than a hotel), cook at the house for most of the meals (better food than eating out, but you don't have to do all the cooking every night), and split the rent/meals. As long as you like your friends that much, it works.

Then there's next year, and we're taking our 4 kids to Disney. We went back in 2014, and have been waiting for the opportunity to go back, especially now that the Star Wars section of Hollywood Studios will be opening at the end of this summer. Yeah, it's going to cost a small fortune, but we had a blast last time, and the two kids back then were amazed by everything. Next year, the younger two will be about the age our older two were, and the older two are still young enough (10 and almost 8 by next year) that it's still magic, or at least willing to entertain the thought. For the will-be 10 year old, there's the promise of walking around inside of and flying the Millenium Falcon (and really, who wouldn't want to do that?)
    I have disney trip planned for this OCtober. Kids and wife wanted a Halloween themed vacation this year. I went to disney for first time back in 2013 so similar. It was awesome time, I am definitely hitting the Star Wars theme park for sure, this time we are doing mostly Universal which we have never been.

We stayed last time at Disney Music theme hotel cant remember the name but that had the best food cafeteria. Very good food for a cafeteria, had one of the best Salads I have ever eaten in my life there. Its expensive but worth it. I would rather spend $5000 at Disney than spend $2000 at Ocean City any time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    I just hear its rather boring for kids. Its geared more towards adults. Like someone said, no arcades, not as much fun places to take the kids too.
    Maybe in the past, but it’s definitely family friendly now. Tons of shows and places to go to for kids. Plus the ocean is much calmer there than in O.C.

where you work?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I didn't like Myrtle when I was a kid because they didn't have the arcades that Ocean City did, which was my favorite part of vacation every year, not the beach, not anything else, it was spending all day in the arcades while my parents were on the beach. Arcades as I knew them in the 90's are basically dead now, but Myrtle has built up their "downtown" area with a small boardwalk and things to do. Don't know that I would agree that it isn't great for kids, but I don't have any so I can't really comment.

I don't know that it's less crowded than OC, everything is just more spread out than OC so it gives off the feeling it's not as crowded. It's not just one 5 mile strip or whatever the length of OC is smushed between a bay and an ocean.

My preference is still Ocean City, but I'm just not paying over a grand for a 4 night stay at a decent place. The price gouging that goes on over there during summer is insane. The top hotels like the Hilton are over $500 a NIGHT! And it's not even a damn resort, it's a standard hotel with a couple pools. Ridiculous.
    We're going up to the cape may area next week. It's nice because the beaches there are awesome, and wildwood has an amazing boardwalk.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I have disney trip planned for this OCtober. Kids and wife wanted a Halloween themed vacation this year. I went to disney for first time back in 2013 so similar. It was awesome time, I am definitely hitting the Star Wars theme park for sure, this time we are doing mostly Universal which we have never been.

We stayed last time at Disney Music theme hotel cant remember the name but that had the best food cafeteria. Very good food for a cafeteria, had one of the best Salads I have ever eaten in my life there. Its expensive but worth it. I would rather spend $5000 at Disney than spend $2000 at Ocean City any time.
    All Star Music Resort - it's one of the four All Star "budget" hotels on property. We stayed at All Star Sports when we went. Sports has the advantage of being first on the bus loop, so you get picked up first, and you get dropped off first. I actually found the overall cost of food at Disney (outside of the character meals) to be not unreasonable. Marrakesh (Epcot) is by far my favorite restaurant. The food is fantastic, and the atmosphere is enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post
    All Star Music Resort - it's one of the four All Star "budget" hotels on property. We stayed at All Star Sports when we went. Sports has the advantage of being first on the bus loop, so you get picked up first, and you get dropped off first. I actually found the overall cost of food at Disney (outside of the character meals) to be not unreasonable. Marrakesh (Epcot) is by far my favorite restaurant. The food is fantastic, and the atmosphere is enjoyable.
    I do not know the name of it, but the Chinese restaurant at EPCOT had amazing food. Had lunch there.

Yes that was the name, All star. I remember the sports one which was next to it.

If it's possible, hit the Haunted Studios at Universal. I went the year before last and it was a lot of fun; they turn Universal into one giant haunted attraction with different blocks with different themes. Nine haunted houses to explore too. The buffet is expensive but worth it.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock