Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 75yrs After D-Day.

to everyone's thoughts above.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    to everyone's thoughts above.
    To tie this into the present...

Something I hear a lot from people who resist the “make America great again” mantra...is...”when was America great?”

When I hear that, I automatically think about WW2 and that era of America when life seemed easier and “family life” and patriotism was celebrated by everyone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    To tie this into the present...

Something I hear a lot from people who resist the “make America great again” mantra...is...”when was America great?”

When I hear that, I automatically think about WW2 and that era of America when life seemed easier and “family life” and patriotism was celebrated by everyone.

As an example of the difference in men’s mentality from the late 30’s -50’s and now .

Me and the fellas from work watched Band of Brothers tonight at work. The very first episode they have the interviews with guys from the real “Easy Company”. One man said in his small town every man wanted to go to war after Pearl Harbor. Four men were deemed 4F and couldn’t go. They all came home and killed themselves! Now that’s extreme.....but it shows true Patriotism! Kids today don’t even wanna join the Military let alone actually serve in combat. What a difference 50 yrs makes.

“You gonna do something .....or just stand there and bleed” Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post

When I talk to vets, especially Vietnam guys, makes me feel like I don't even deserve to talk about that stuff. The shit that had to go through.

But back on point, I'd give anything to go to the beach... To be on that soil
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    When I talk to vets, especially Vietnam guys, makes me feel like I don't even deserve to talk about that stuff. The shit that had to go through.

But back on point, I'd give anything to go to the beach... To be on that soil
    I could imagine the feeling could be so overwhelming One might just breakdown and weep

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I could imagine the feeling could be so overwhelming One might just breakdown and weep
    I hope I can some day
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

On my bucket list. My granddad fought the battle of the Bulge. I think he went after DDay. He was Armour. Me and my Bro are gonna go to Normandy one year. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    As an example of the difference in men’s mentality from the late 30’s -50’s and now .

Me and the fellas from work watched Band of Brothers tonight at work. The very first episode they have the interviews with guys from the real “Easy Company”. One man said in his small town every man wanted to go to war after Pearl Harbor. Four men were deemed 4F and couldn’t go. They all came home and killed themselves! Now that’s extreme.....but it shows true Patriotism! Kids today don’t even wanna join the Military let alone actually serve in combat. What a difference 50 yrs makes.

I hear what youre saying, but the wars have been VERY different since WW2. We were fighting evil incarnate. Nothing on that scale has been seen since. I understand people wanting to go save the world from tyranny.

The Vietnamese were not going to take over the world and rule with an iron fist, we shouldn't have been there in the first place and we knew it then. I understand people not wanting to go to fight a war they hardly understand.

Almost all of the middle east wars have been over resources (oil mainly), not tyrannical overlords murdering over 6 million people. I understand people not wanting to go to fight a war over oil.

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    I hear what youre saying, but the wars have been VERY different since WW2. We were fighting evil incarnate. Nothing on that scale has been seen since. I understand people wanting to go save the world from tyranny.

The Vietnamese were not going to take over the world and rule with an iron fist, we shouldn't have been there in the first place and we knew it then. I understand people not wanting to go to fight a war they hardly understand.

Almost all of the middle east wars have been over resources (oil mainly), not tyrannical overlords murdering over 6 million people. I understand people not wanting to go to fight a war over oil.
    Not the old no war for oil canard.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Not the old no war for oil canard.
    I'm not saying that's right or wrong.

Just saying there is definitely a difference between fighting literally Hitler and fighting for oil.

And I understand why Everybody wanted to fight Hitler, and why not everybody wants to fight for oil.