Page 1 of 73 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

OT: NBA Finals Thread

The other thread went off into bachelor party planning or mixing alcohol and Wellbutrin and what not.

So, I just figured I’d start this thread for the Finals.

Personally, I believe that the Golden State Warriors will win. Kawhi Leonard is one of my favorite all-time players and he deserves a ton of credit for leading the Raptors to this point. That’s not to say that his teammates didn’t play their part, because they certainly did. I just think it was them following Leonard’s lead, because I don’t think they come close to making it this far without him. I think his presence gave them confidence.

That said, since this Golden State dynasty took off, there has only been one team, that has taken down Golden State in a seven game series, when they didn’t have Durant. That was James’ Cavaliers with Irving. Lowry stepped up this past series, but Lowry is no Irving.

Defensively, the Raptors have the athleticism you want, but chasing around both Splash Brothers, all while trying to shut down Draymond Green’s passing lanes (Half-court and transition), is a very, very tall order. I think that some fans have forgotten what the Warriors were capable of, even before Durant arrived. Chasing them around those screens is tiring enough. Figuring out what those screens are setting up is an animal of a mental hurdle. Golden State is not a team that just lives and dies by the three. Their movement off the ball is second to none.

I may be wrong, but I feel a sweep coming. If I’m wrong, I’ll admit it. But my prediction is that Toronto doesn’t come down off that high fast enough and Golden State takes game one. I have a feeling that Klay Thompson will be the player of the game. I believe that the Raptors will throw their best punch in game 2, but that Curry and Green will punch back and be the key players in game 2. After that, the distance between the two teams will start to show at Oracle.

Many said they wouldn’t beat Houston without Durant and they didn’t even let that go to a game 7. Some felt Portland would beat them without Durant. Others felt Portland would push Golden State to six or seven. Watching that series, it was clear that Golden State was pacing themselves, for large portions of those games, keeping it close until the fourth. I think the scores being close were a mirage to leave people thinking that Portland was closer than they really were.

Golden State is on a mission and I have a feeling that Thompson will show out early after the All-NBA snub. Picking a Finals MVP, I think Curry gets it, but Klay, Green And Iguodala will all make their presence felt.

Re: OT: NBA Finals Thread

Good summary/preview. Hard to argue with you on any of this. I do think Kawhi is good enough to push this 5 or 6 games. In fact, I'm still bitter about Pachulia hurting him back in '17.

You make a great point about Irving tho. I think Kawhi can do an effective Lebron impression but I don't know who #2 for Toronto is...and can he replicate Irving's success. I will say that if Siakam starts shooting with more confidence (& more regular season-like success) that would be just what the Dr ordered.

I'll say Warriors in 6 to be hopeful

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

The Raps can play with them defensively. The Bucks were a great transition from the Sixers where they had ot close out on all kinds of shooters. but Middelton, Brodgon, Bledsoe are not even in the same stratosphere as Klay adn Steph. It doesn't amtter if they're contested.

My biggest worry is that you have to go fire with fire. I do think we'll have great defense, but I'm not sure we'll shut them down. Gotta hit shots, gotta attack the rim.

I think the rebounding issues will be cleaned up. They don't have the length that both Philly and the Bucks had, but still, I'm not confident in their ability to score. They've been too timid.

Honestly, to have a shot Kyle, Danny, Fred, Norm and the bigs need to shoot lights out. I've seen it happen, but over a 7 game series? It's hard to expect.

I'm still saying Raps in 7 becuase that' where my heart is. I do not think they'll be swept. Kawhi is the best player in the world right now. He's #2 behind Lebron. I have him ahead of KD because of his ability defensively. Even though KD has greatly improved his defnsive game, he did that while playing beside a DPOY candidate and a great wing defender in Klay.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

I will say that I fully expect Toronto to out rebound Golden State overall, to start. If they start out going big. If they have trouble chasing and try to go small, then I think GWNR’s fear will come in. The only one, outside of Leonard, that I fully trust to hit shots is VanVleet. He’s just so on fire right now. Gasol can shoot, but as GWNR said, is too hesitant. Chocolate Beanstalk can put together little spurts when he’s aggressive, but he too lacks confidence at times and his vision isn’t the best when he puts the ball on the floor. If Danny Green could show up, that would be very helpful for Toronto. I think Lowry is certainly capable of playing big. I’ve just never trusted Lowry and still don’t. I think that Ibaka will be up to the moment. I’m not sure about Powell.

The other element to this is that Golden State’s bench has been getting minutes as well and gaining confidence.

Blog Entries

Warrior's in 5.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I will say that I fully expect Toronto to out rebound Golden State overall, to start. If they start out going big. If they have trouble chasing and try to go small, then I think GWNR’s fear will come in. The only one, outside of Leonard, that I fully trust to hit shots is VanVleet. He’s just so on fire right now. Gasol can shoot, but as GWNR said, is too hesitant. Chocolate Beanstalk can put together little spurts when he’s aggressive, but he too lacks confidence at times and his vision isn’t the best when he puts the ball on the floor. If Danny Green could show up, that would be very helpful for Toronto. I think Lowry is certainly capable of playing big. I’ve just never trusted Lowry and still don’t. I think that Ibaka will be up to the moment. I’m not sure about Powell.

The other element to this is that Golden State’s bench has been getting minutes as well and gaining confidence.
    I don't think their bench will outplay Toronto's. Their bench re-emerged last series after being vfucking invisible the first two rounds.

Norm played some big minutes. But like I said, you just need to be so consistent. That's how Paul and Harden almost pulled it off if it wasn't for that injury. That's how Kawhi was pulling it off till he get hurt, up 21 at half. Honestly, that's how the Clippers pushed them to 6.

Like I said, we'll D up and play strong D, but against elite shooters, it really doesn't matter. They need to match fire with fire.

I think the Raps are one of the best matchups for them in the entire league given their versatility, which is mostly becuase Siakam can guard anyone on the floor (Which is why Jay Williams comments about Ibaka needing to play more prove he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground).

Either way, it's time to fucking go. Leave it all o nthe court. My expectation was NBA Finals, we made it and we're in the best possible position for Kawhi to re-sign. It's all up to him now.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Toronto will definitely have to dig deep. When I think back to before Durant went to the Warriors, I just remember so many teams trying to chase the Splash Brothers. However, even when the defense was good and tight, they’d still hit shots. By the fourth quarter, opposing teams would just be dejected, defensively. Toronto has to keep up the energy.

Not that I’m a long-term Warriors fan, but I enjoy watching the basketball they play. Particularly, before Durant arrived. With him, the ball still moves, but it doesn’t move as quickly and they lean on him too much in isolation. It seems like the basketball Gods made it this way, that this Warriors/Durant debate could only be fully settled by them defending the title without him. I’m very curious to see.

By the same token, I have a great deal of respect for Leonard as a player. I’ve traditionally enjoyed Spurs basketball, but I didn’t like the way the organization treated him. The players didn’t back him and said some really stupid things publicly. Then, the Spurs tried to use the media to make it out like an evil Uncle controlling Kawhi. It was almost like they were implying that, since he doesn’t talk much, he was incapable of thinking for himself and easily manipulated. Even former Spurs said some things publicly against him. It’s like, you do all of this, because you know that this guy is your key to winning and that you can’t without him, but instead of treating him like the future, you treat him like the Spurs are God’s gift to him.

So, a part of me wants to see Kawhi win. Firstly, Kawhi would then ascend to new levels, historically (Perception and how he’ll be remembered), and if they win, he just might stay. I think that’s the only way.

Three legacies could be further molded or cracked, with this series. Curry could cement his if he leads them to victory without Durant. Durant’s impact gets elevated if they can’t get it done without him. Durant’s impact diminishes if they do win, which means he’d have to leave for New York and lead them to a title, to be remembered the way other All-Time greats are. Kawhi could cement himself as they de facto best player in the league, if he leads the Toronto Raptors, to the NBA Championship.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 05-30-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Warriors in 6

Warriors in 6

Raptors win game 1

KD goes to new York, Kyrie joins

Kwai gits to clippers

Butler to Lakers

Warriors win next year (in 6)
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

I hope it's interesting. I'll be in a hotel tonight so planning to watch. My fear is that GS will trail the entire game and then wake up and win it in the last 5 minutes - par for the course. That would get a little old.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I think the Raps are one of the best matchups for them in the entire league given their versatility, which is mostly becuase Siakam can guard anyone on the floor (Which is why Jay Williams comments about Ibaka needing to play more prove he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground).
    I would think he wants Ibaka in more for Gasol and that would not really influence how much Siakam plays.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post

Kawhi could cement himself as they de facto best player in the league, if he leads the Toronto Raptors, to the NBA Championship.
    I think Kawhi has already accomplished that. Someone would have to take that away from him.