Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 37 to 47 of 47
  1. #37

    Re: BBQ, Grilling, and Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    So, Ive been looking at the Big Green Egg, but I recently saw some comparison vids about Kamado Joe vs BGE and it seems like the Joe is the better grill.

    Does anyone here have an opinion on that?
    I've never cooked with a Big Green Egg, but I have two friends that love them. I've never invested because I already had my offset smoker before the Kamados became more en vogue, and now that I need a new one the cost is a bit prohibitive. I can get basically the same I have for $250 and I know what I'm doing with it. If I went BGE it would be the larger, so that would be in the $1,200 range I think.

    One advantage is how they trap the heat and conserve fuel. So if you want to do something that will take a long time, you can probably set the Kamado up and leave it be unattended for a longer time.

    If a Kamado style is what you want, I think features are probably more important than brand. As long as it is made of similar materials and quality.





  2. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    51,308
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: BBQ, Grilling, and Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    I've never cooked with a Big Green Egg, but I have two friends that love them. I've never invested because I already had my offset smoker before the Kamados became more en vogue, and now that I need a new one the cost is a bit prohibitive. I can get basically the same I have for $250 and I know what I'm doing with it. If I went BGE it would be the larger, so that would be in the $1,200 range I think.

    One advantage is how they trap the heat and conserve fuel. So if you want to do something that will take a long time, you can probably set the Kamado up and leave it be unattended for a longer time.

    If a Kamado style is what you want, I think features are probably more important than brand. As long as it is made of similar materials and quality.
    The Kamado Joe grill has a soft close hinge and mesh oven insulation around the rim. The BGE doesnít have those things.

    Just seems like fit and finish aspects were better thought out with the Joe.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

    RIP #25





  3. #39

    Re: BBQ, Grilling, and Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    So, Ive been looking at the Big Green Egg, but I recently saw some comparison vids about Kamado Joe vs BGE and it seems like the Joe is the better grill.

    Does anyone here have an opinion on that?
    Never in my life will I buy a $800-$1500 grill like a Green egg. It would have to be at like crack head prices online craigslist or something or a bartering deal.

    I love grilling but thats way too much money for a grill. I obtained my Masterbuilt Smoker brand new in box via bartering.

    Most I ever spent on grill was $400 and regretted that.





  4. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    6,323

    Re: BBQ, Grilling, and Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    The port loin looks good and I am sure is a great combination but I am not big chorizo fan. I have had some good and bad and if its seasoned wrong I just am not huge mexican fan. My wife likes mexican way more than me but she doesnt like Chorizo either.

    People talking about brick oven pizza, I unfortunately do not own one but last week my I made cheesteak flatbread pizza after my wife said she was craving Dominoes I made it for my wife and 2 of her friends and they both raved how it was best pizza they ever had.

    I used pre made store bought flat bread. I bought shaved steak meat, on the bread I used an asiago cream sauce, white american cheese, then topped the pizza with steak meat, onions, mushrooms and provolone. Baked it 15 minutes and it was damn good. Better than any takeout I have ever tried.
    Gotta go with the Spanish chorizo

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk





  5. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    14,116

    Re: BBQ, Grilling, and Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The Kamado Joe grill has a soft close hinge and mesh oven insulation around the rim. The BGE doesnít have those things.

    Just seems like fit and finish aspects were better thought out with the Joe.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you have the money spend it on what you want. I think the KJ is better but the BGE has a better warranty from what I gather.

    Personally Iíd just get a off set OKJ





  6. #42

    Re: BBQ, Grilling, and Smoking

    Speaking of grilling, did you guys hear about this? A vegan Australian woman filed a lawsuit against her neighbor for grilling which went all the way to the Supreme Court of Western Australia. I love that nearly 9000 people in the area are getting together to have a Community cookout outside the woman's house.

    https://globalnews.ca/news/5853199/v...bq-neighbours/





  7. #43

    Re: BBQ, Grilling, and Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Anyone have experience using an electrical smoker? Pro vs cons?

    I have used these and my main frustration was that my chips didn't burn at a steady rate so I made lots of creosote laden smoke as opposed to the thin blue you want.

    I switched to a pellet tray instead. This thing right here made a big difference.

    https://www.amazon.com/MAZE-N-Pellet.../dp/B007ROPJ1M

    I stopped using the onboard chip tray all together and just put the pellet tray right in the bottom of the smoker. It fits perfectly and once lit makes good smoke for about 3-4 hours so you don't have to keep feeding wood chips.

    I would invest in a KJ or Egg but I have too much junk as it is and don't need an expensive thing rusting out on me and that I have to lug around my patio. I think a Kettle is in my future.

    I just rehabbed my gas grill. Those grill they sell at Home Depot are utter pieces of engineered obsolescence and garbage... I don't need something similar happening to an $800 grill.





  8. #44

    Re: BBQ, Grilling, and Smoking

    I got a knockoff of the BGE that's made by Vision off of Craigs list for $75.
    Absolutely love it, holds steady temp at 220 all night.
    Have the wireless probes so I can sit inside and watch TV and keep an eye on grill temp and internal meat temp.





  9. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    6,323

    Re: BBQ, Grilling, and Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I have used these and my main frustration was that my chips didn't burn at a steady rate so I made lots of creosote laden smoke as opposed to the thin blue you want.

    I switched to a pellet tray instead. This thing right here made a big difference.

    https://www.amazon.com/MAZE-N-Pellet.../dp/B007ROPJ1M

    I stopped using the onboard chip tray all together and just put the pellet tray right in the bottom of the smoker. It fits perfectly and once lit makes good smoke for about 3-4 hours so you don't have to keep feeding wood chips.

    I would invest in a KJ or Egg but I have too much junk as it is and don't need an expensive thing rusting out on me and that I have to lug around my patio. I think a Kettle is in my future.

    I just rehabbed my gas grill. Those grill they sell at Home Depot are utter pieces of engineered obsolescence and garbage... I don't need something similar happening to an $800 grill.
    I forgot I had grill tools in the grill when I preheated a couple weeks back, so I too recently replaced a bunch of my grill parts.

    Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk





  10. #46

    Re: BBQ, Grilling, and Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    So, Ive been looking at the Big Green Egg, but I recently saw some comparison vids about Kamado Joe vs BGE and it seems like the Joe is the better grill.

    Does anyone here have an opinion on that?
    I used to buy the cheap $200-$300 grills back in the day. But they never later more than a few years. They all rusted out. I finally broke down and bought a Weber stainless steel grill at the end of the season. Back in 2010. Sits on the deck. Uncovered. And still looks new. Well worth the extra money. I think I spent $600 or $700

    Then I was introduced to the green egg. I Never had pulled pork that tasted so good. Then the next day we had the best burgers I could remember. I waited til the end of the season and bought a large BGE. Itís actually the middle size offered. It was priced at $800. They took off $200 because I didnít need the pedistal legs. They also threw in two bags of charcoal and 4 jars of the seasoning. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

    Why get the BGE? The lifetime warranty. These style grills are ceramic. They will eventually crack. When the do, parts are replaced at no charge. no questions asked.

    I have had my BGE Since 2014. I used it at least once a week year round. Several times a week in the warm weather. I love it.


    Buy what you will use. No one else will care what brand you have





  11. #47

    Re: BBQ, Grilling, and Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    I used to buy the cheap $200-$300 grills back in the day. But they never later more than a few years. They all rusted out. I finally broke down and bought a Weber stainless steel grill at the end of the season. Back in 2010. Sits on the deck. Uncovered. And still looks new. Well worth the extra money. I think I spent $600 or $700

    Then I was introduced to the green egg. I Never had pulled pork that tasted so good. Then the next day we had the best burgers I could remember. I waited til the end of the season and bought a large BGE. It’s actually the middle size offered. It was priced at $800. They took off $200 because I didn’t need the pedistal legs. They also threw in two bags of charcoal and 4 jars of the seasoning. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

    Why get the BGE? The lifetime warranty. These style grills are ceramic. They will eventually crack. When the do, parts are replaced at no charge. no questions asked.

    I have had my BGE Since 2014. I used it at least once a week year round. Several times a week in the warm weather. I love it.


    Buy what you will use. No one else will care what brand you have
    My brother in laws both have these and have built the "tables" to contain them. Wooden tables on wheels to roll them around and prepare food, hold grill supplies etc.

    Is that what you did?





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site