Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Software Engineers, Coders, Programmers- Questions for ya

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    On the phone now, thanks my man
    Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Awesome!

Looks like I'll be checking out the BS IT Management. Didn't have the pre reqs to go with the software developer
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

Looks like I'll be checking out the BS IT Management. Didn't have the pre reqs to go with the software developer
    Gotta start somewhere man! That will be a good step though. Everyone needs competent IT professionals.

Gotta start somewhere man! That will be a good step though. Everyone needs competent IT professionals.

Being able to do as much as you want is something that really intrigues me. I can get to the full bah that way and keep myself busy. I prolly won't even get a job while I do this.

What did you think of the classes, good lay outs, hard to learn? If you want pm since that is a bit odd topic. I really appreciate the help man, someday hopefully I can get you a beer
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

Being able to do as much as you want is something that really intrigues me. I can get to the full bah that way and keep myself busy. I prolly won't even get a job while I do this.

What did you think of the classes, good lay outs, hard to learn? If you want pm since that is a bit odd topic. I really appreciate the help man, someday hopefully I can get you a beer
    I didn't find the courses especially difficult to succeed in. The information is all provided for you. That's another nice thing about WGU - all of the literature and study material is in the student portal for that class.

My degree plan included a class in cryptography, which was very similar to what I worked with at a previous job. So, I was able to review the class material and take the test for that class within a week and pass it. That's what I really liked about it. When I was comfortable with the material, I could schedule the test, take it, and then get the class out of the way.

I didn't find the courses especially difficult to succeed in. The information is all provided for you. That's another nice thing about WGU - all of the literature and study material is in the student portal for that class.

My degree plan included a class in cryptography, which was very similar to what I worked with at a previous job. So, I was able to review the class material and take the test for that class within a week and pass it. That's what I really liked about it. When I was comfortable with the material, I could schedule the test, take it, and then get the class out of the way.
    Was there any drawbacks to taking the test early?

Blog Entries

Was there any drawbacks to taking the test early?
    Nope. Moved another course up in its place.

codeacademy

coursera: dr chuck (michigan class)

sololearn - works on mobile

python book: automate the boring stuff

programming book: code complete 2

if you have the cash you can do a coding bootcamp. we actually hired a few people from bootcamps over the years. one woman was a teacher before she did the bootcamp

Re: Software Engineers/Developers, Coders, Programmers- Questions for ya

Alright guys, I have been reading a lot about code writing ie Java, python, C#, etc and just wanted some input from anyone in the industries. I know a lot of the questions i have here are out there on the line (movie joke) but you guys that i have been talking to for years carry a tad more weight than some random username like dehyrdatedWaterblock. So im just curious what you guys have to say to someone just starting out to code: any tips to use, any sites, tutorials, etc. Like i said, i know there is a lot of these questions out there, but im asking for your guys personal experience, if any, heres a couple questions:

1) Prolly the most asked Question- Applying for jobs in this field, is it usually required to have a degree even if you are proficient in what the job posting is asking for?

2) How did you learn? Go to university, self taught youtubing? Coding bootcamps? Any suggestions?

3) What program do you use to write code and why?

4) Whats the advantages of learning to code and build websites from basically scratch compared to using Wix or such like services?

5) Anyone work from home in this industry?

I am definitely new to this and am learning on the fly, please forgive my slowness and i appreciate any insight.
    1. Government contractor typically wants a degree at least where I've interviewed, others are more lax.

2. High school, university, but a lot of the classes were directed learning. Like they would tell you some basic stuff, but you'd be spending a lot of time on Google to actually learn the stuff.

3. I mainly use Java and Scala. Java because that's what was mainly used for hadoop (big data framework), and Scala because it requires less boilerplate and we've been moving to spark (better execution platform for big data)

4. You can apply the skills in places that aren't websites. Also if you're working on front end stuff, the flavor of the week changes insanely fast.

5. I don't personally, but it's pretty common.

Udacity has some good free intro courses, if you want like online video with assignments style. If you prefer text based, codecademy will teach you basics.

Some of the online platforms have also partnered with schools to offer degrees.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ortizer; 05-22-2019 at 07:47 AM.

You might also look into the Pi-Top computer. It’s about $250-300 I believe. It’s a raspberry pi cpu built into a small laptop. The whole concept around it is to offer a computer that is strictly going to be a function of command line interfacing. It’s a pretty neat little device.

You can install whatever OS you want on it, but I think Linux is probably most preferable. A, Linux is free, and B, Linux is very user friendly and has a ton of support for coding efforts.

Also, Linux will come up pretty quick anyplace other than a Microsoft shop

If you pick up the coding the actual degree is less important. Also, it stuff can dovetail pretty well into devops since that's more automating the system setup and deployment type stuff.