Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Next years 1st

Re: Next years 1st

Why would the Ravens give up the #1 overall pick in the 2020 draft up? Really!

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    What has the world come to when we don’t want to pay DeAndre Hopkins a twelve million dollar salary, because he might keep us from having a quality guy at another spot? Wha.....in what world?!

You know why Brown costs ten million less? Because he’s going to give you ten million less in production. The man has a lisfranc Injury.

Brown and who, equals Hopkins, for 10 mil?
    Well if you base it off who they picked up this year, basically Earl Thomas. He averages a little more than $10M/yr, but that's probably the deal that you can't afford to do anymore if you made a similar trade heading into this offseason.

To be clear, I'm not arguing against this type of trade for Hopkins. As I said before, I think you can argue it either way. But personally I wouldn't feel we got a steal.

Also, put aside your dislike of Brown. I'm using him and Thomas because they're this off-season's analogues. We're really talking about a hypothetical pick next draft and a hypothetical free agent (or player(s) that we can't re-sign) next offseason.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Re: Next years 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    Why would the Ravens give up the #1 overall pick in the 2020 draft up? Really!

C&D, "Oh why is my glass always half empty?"

... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Well if you base it off who they picked up this year, basically Earl Thomas. He averages a little more than $10M/yr, but that's probably the deal that you can't afford to do anymore if you made a similar trade heading into this offseason.

To be clear, I'm not arguing against this type of trade for Hopkins. As I said before, I think you can argue it either way. But personally I wouldn't feel we got a steal.

Also, put aside your dislike of Brown. I'm using him and Thomas because they're this off-season's analogues. We're really talking about a hypothetical pick next draft and a hypothetical free agent (or player(s) that we can't re-sign) next offseason.
    Why does it have to be a steal? Why can’t it be getting what you paid for?

It doesn't have to be a steal. I was just clarifying my position in response to your astonishment ...

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    What has the world come to when we don’t want to pay DeAndre Hopkins a twelve million dollar salary, because he might keep us from having a quality guy at another spot? Wha.....in what world?!
    ... at my saying ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    ... Tough call to me. I could argue it either way. That's why I say Mahomes is the only player I'd be happy to give up a 1st for.
    If you see it as just getting what we paid for, it sounds like we have a similar view.
    Last edited by Kyle Cactus; 05-21-2019 at 01:28 PM.

It would be great if we could snag one of the top WR since this is supposed to be a loaded WR class. A really good one might even fall to our pick at #32.

Quote Originally Posted by ReedInTheWind View Post
    It absolutely worked out for Dallas

Attachment 4987
    That’s only looking at one half of the equation. Sure, their pass game improved. And Cooper looks like one of the top 20 receivers in the game. If they had just signed him as a FA, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

But we are talking about what they gave up, which was a late first round pick. That could have been Ray Lewis or Ed Reed. Would you give up Ray Lewis or Ed Reed for a couple years of top 20 receiver production?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    That’s only looking at one half of the equation. Sure, their pass game improved. And Cooper looks like one of the top 20 receivers in the game. If they had just signed him as a FA, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

But we are talking about what they gave up, which was a late first round pick. That could have been Ray Lewis or Ed Reed. Would you give up Ray Lewis or Ed Reed for a couple years of top 20 receiver production?

It could've been Ray Lewis or Ed Reed, or it could've been Brian Bosworth or Charles Rogers. I don't think the fact that Hall of Fame players have been picked in the first round means that the Cowboys made a bad move.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    It could've been Ray Lewis or Ed Reed, or it could've been Brian Bosworth or Charles Rogers. I don't think the fact that Hall of Fame players have been picked in the first round means that the Cowboys made a bad move.
    Sure, no guarantees. Draft picks are lottery tickets. First round picks are lottery tickets with very good odds. Some are busts. Some are Hall of Famers. Most range between solid NFL starter and Pro Bowler. And all of them are cheap and controllable for five years. You cannot overestimate the value in that last bit in a salary cap league. Trading away a first round pick is almost always bad policy. Almost.

"Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

It’d be interesting to go back over the past few years and really take a look at how well first round draft picks have done.

I think we are just fine at LB. Peanut is a highlight reel. Give him a year with a full offseason and we will have 1 less hole on our team to worry about.
    "God may own his soul but I own his [butt]."- 6-time Pro Bowl OLB/DE Terrell Suggs in 2011 (DPLOY season), describing his dominance of Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    I wouldn’t even give up a late second for Myles Jack.
    The Ravens wouldn't even use a mid-2nd round pick on him when they had the chance.