Page 75 of 95 FirstFirst ... 7374757677 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 OTAs

Re: 2019 OTAs

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    There's a difference between being workout ready and medically cleared by team doctors to play, and fully healed.
    Shut up shut up shut the hell up

You just came off of a significant foot injury. Putting more weight on your body, at least a significant amount like twenty pounds, puts more pressure on the foot. You already have to readjust to no longer using other surrounding muscles to compensate for the injury. Now, you're adding weight to those other muscles while you try to accomplish that. You run the risk of over-exertion of those surrounding muscles, on top of more foot issues. It's just asking for trouble. Five pounds? maybe. Twenty pounds? Bad idea.
    He said he put on more weight to protect the foot. Made no sense to me either.

Blog Entries

There's a difference between being workout ready and medically cleared by team doctors to play, and fully healed.
    Yup. sounds like a questionable move
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Triple option
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Whenís the last time NE lined up in the Winged Tee Offense?
    Jacoby Brissett started 2 or 3 games when Brady was suspended in '16. Maybe then?

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Harbeckler has built this team to run the Triple Option.
    Yep. That's why they signed Seth Roberts, drafted Marquise & Boykin, then signed UDFAs Antoine Wesley & Joe Horn Jr & Jaylen Smith. To go with Mark Andrews last year.

Hayden Hurst putting on twenty pounds of muscle, coming off of a foot injury, is a bad idea.
    At the very least it sounds counter-intuitive, yeah?

I'm trying to make it sound good to myself. Maybe he was working with really heavy deadlifts and squats, along with power cleans, to get his bones & ligaments used to extra stress??

Eh, unconvincing. I'm with you, this seems like something that can backfire.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoothSayer View Post
    I should make that my new signature block!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Triple option
    So, here's something that I always wondered. Teams use schemes like the Triple Option to compete when they are outclassed in talent. Navy hung tough with Ohio State several times, even beat them once in recent memory. High school teams use the Wing-T to accomplish similar goals. These offenses rely on execution and deception, and they let teams with less than top-tier talent go toe-to-toe with the big guys.

Question: What would happen if you ran one of those schemes, with top-end talent?

I mean, the scheme & deception would still be there. Now add, like, Deshaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins. Wouldn't that shit become unstoppable??

What am I missing?
    "A wise man doesn't have knowledge of everything. Only idiots know everything."
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoothSayer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    So, here's something that I always wondered. Teams use schemes like the Triple Option to compete when they are outclassed in talent. Navy hung tough with Ohio State several times, even beat them once in recent memory. High school teams use the Wing-T to accomplish similar goals. These offenses rely on execution and deception, and they let teams with less than top-tier talent go toe-to-toe with the big guys.

Question: What would happen if you ran one of those schemes, with top-end talent?

I mean, the scheme & deception would still be there. Now add, like, Deshaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins. Wouldn't that shit become unstoppable??

What am I missing?
    No because unlike high school and college ..the athletes on defense are the best at what they do. 1%ers.
    Schools like Navy run a gimmick offense due to lack of talent. Who wants to go to Navy?
    You donít see top programs running that stuff. They have superior athletes. Just like the Winged Tee we ran last year ...it works for awhile and or the first time you see it. But once you scheme for it ..you get the playoff game. Teams like Navy and GT when Johnson was there surprised a few teams. But what have they really won with that offense? At the end of the day itís about wins and championships period. Especially in the NFL. Unless your Cincy.....after a year or three of failure ...itís time for a change.

ďYou gonna do something .....or just stand there and bleedĒ Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by crabcakes View Post
    Hayden Hurst injured again.. -img-
    C'mon man there's a big difference between being injury prone and being soft.
    "It's gonna be a problem. Whether Lamar Jackson runs it or not, it's gonna be a problem."
    - Brian Baldinger

Notes from today's practice.

Harbaugh held tight end Hayden Hurst out of practice because heís been dealing with a tweaked hamstring. Hurst should be back for minicamp next week, Harbaugh said.

Wide receiver Seth Roberts (undisclosed) also missed practice, but third-round rookie Miles Boykin was back in a limited capacity.

It seems Lamar Jackson is making strides with his mechanics, as his passes have looked better as OTAs have gone on. He has also avoided making too many bad mistakes, evidenced by his first interception of the open OTA practices when he and his receiver clearly werenít on the same page and Brandon Carr got an easy interception. Jackson and the installation of the offense are still a work in progress, but thereís definitely been improvement.

One of Jacksonís best plays of the day had to be when a wayward snap hit the turf and Jackson picked it up, composed himself and fired a dart to tight end Mark Andrews over the middle.

Jackson also flashed his running ability on one play when the Ravensí defense was loaded up on one side. He sprinted up the gut and would have gone for a long touchdown. Thatís the kind of play, which often isnít evident in practices, that makes Jackson special. If defenders donít stay in the right gap, heís gone.

Cornerback Maurice Canady made a nice play to come over the top and break up a pass. Canady has a lot of versatility, as he can play cornerback or safety.

Running back Kenneth Dixon made an impressive jump cut after a basic catch along the sideline, and later flashed his lateral movement during a run along the edge. Donít forget about Dixon, who ran well late last season, in the Ravensí competitive running back rotation.

Third-round rookie outside linebacker Jaylon Ferguson flashed his run-stopping potential by bursting into the backfield on one play for what would have been a tackle for loss.

Undrafted wide receivers Antoine Wesley (catches everything), Sean Modster (smaller guy who gets open a lot) and Smith, who came back from the Elliott leaping interception to catch a red-zone touchdown despite a tipped pass, all had a solid day.

Outside linebacker Tyus Bowser flashed some, making a nice play in coverage to knock down a pass and coming up the middle for what would have been a sack.

Punter Sam Koch once again showed why heís the best holder in the business, snaring a wayward snap from an undrafted rookie long snapper and getting it down for a successful 58-yard field goal by Kaare Vedvik.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

What am I missing?
    I think Tom Osborne-Nebraska fits that bill. They were a near bigtime program that committed to option football and the result was they won.

My take is that there is no need for big time programs to commit to Navy-style option offense. Big time programs are part of recruiting apparatus that gives them top tier talent. Part of that appeal is the scheme and you don't want to be the coach that upset the apple cart by running an offense that upsets the recruiting pipeline. Kids like to put up numbers and option football really isn't gonna give you that.
    Last edited by edromeo; 06-06-2019 at 08:25 PM.