Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Blog Entries

Re: Off -season grade

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Bc, not for the first time, you've said it all. I was reputed to be a tough grader, so I'll quibble a little: B+
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley-Ravenson View Post
    I give EDC a B+

Gentlemen, I can live with that ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Harley-Ravenson View Post
    I give EDC a B+

He was limited in the cards he could play.

Lets talk about the losses first and do the math!

Mosely should have been locked up WAY sooner, so kudos for not overpaying! We will feel this loss in intelligence and communication- but only against the run!

Suggs was an unexpected loss and we got blindsided. We again lose experience and communication- but he was aging and showing much less pop towards the end of the past few seasons.

Weddle was another loss in overall intelligence and savvy- but old and slow.

Z Smith was young and hungry, but no way we were going to pay that kind of money for his skillset.

WR's - Crabtree and Brown, no one is crying!

Additions to the plan:

ET3- Nice upgrade, and hopefully fills part of the gap re communication and intelligence- we know he is a play-making FREAK. His overall personality in our locker room is my biggest question here. Weddle helped chemistry and brought a good vibe to the locker room!

Can ET3's play allow Jefferson to hopefully pick up some of the slack in the box with the Mosely loss.

Adding Sack Daddy was HUGE. What he lacks in experience he will make up with energy passion and youthful relentlessness!

Can Peanut and Kenny step up? That is a huge question. I don't fault DeCosta on this. Not a lot of options. This area is my main concern for the entire team! It will be a huge question until it is answered!

Keeping our secondary deep and in tact was huge!

RE Offense

Ingram was a good signing. Not because I think he will be THAT much better than Gus or Dixon. Dixon was a monster end of last year, we need to not count him out so quickly. Ingram brings the depth we need with 3 hammers so we don't wear out.

Justice Hill great change of pace back!

Re the WR's - I think we upgraded! Brown will be open all over the place and Boykin was the perfect compliment to him.

TE's - Keeping Boyle, great move! So excited about this group this year!

O Line- did what we could to take a step forward here. Not much available on the market!

Overall- we have more questions going into this season than I can remember.

We added speed and playmakers- lost some intelligence on D.

DeCosta did well navigating in his first year with some curve balls thrown his way. I am excited about the year- very excited, but the questions will be nagging until we SEE this play out in real time!

Peace!
    Nice write up!

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    I’m basically with BatMan. A solid C++? Not quite a B-
    To many unknowns. Rookies at the key Wr spots. Only ONE Olinemen drafted.
    We still have an unproven QB. An under preforming TE, a “brand new Offense “ and add to that rookies at the WR spot.
    Now this offseason may prove to be an A if both Boykin and Hollywood Hit and The Oline is much improved with Powers. I think the secondary is the only solid part of this team besides ST. Everything else is ...wait and see.

“You gonna do something .....or just stand there and bleed” Wyatt Earp
    Even st is a little questionable with a new coordinator.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I think the worries about our defense are overblown, and that's for a couple reasons:

1) The defense is and always has been greater than the sum of its parts. If you think Za'Darius Smith is going to go out in Green Bay and have a monster season, I think you're wrong. If you think Suggs is going to be nearly as effective in Arizona, even early in the season, like he was here, I think you're wrong. This defense is and always has been greater than the sum of its parts. We've seen time and time again guys leave here and fall off a cliff because we have great defensive minds that use players to their strengths, and great defensive depth to rotate. Guys like Chuck Clark, guys like Maurice Canaday, can flash and shine in their moments, not because they're special players, but because the overall depth and creativity of the unit raises all ships. Our WLB platoon consisted of 2 UDFAs and a 4th round pick. If you had told Dallas fans that Brandon Carr would be a fan favorite in Baltimore, they would have laughed at you. This is a defense that is built to recover after losing pieces. The next man up will do just fine.

2) Having the #1 Defense is increasingly irrelevant. Here's the top 5 Defenses for total yard leaders:

1) Baltimore (Playoffs out 1st round)
    2) Buffalo
    3) Chicago (Playoffs out 1st round)
    4) Minnesota
    5) Jacksonville

Now top 5 in points per game:

1) Chicago (Playoffs out first round)
    2) Baltimore (Playoffs out first round)
    3) Tennessee
    4) Jacksonville
    5) Houston (Playoffs out first round)

Now let's look at offenses. Total Yards:
    1) Kansas City (Lost AFCC)
    2) LA Rams (Won NFCC)
    3) Tampa Bay
    4) Pittsburgh
    5) New England (Won Superbowl)

And Points per Game:
    1) Kansas City (Lost AFCC)
    2) LA Rams (Won NFCC)
    3) New Orleans (Lost AFCC)
    4) New England (Won Superbowl)
    5) Indianapolis (Playoffs Lost in 2nd round)

Having a strong offense is much more indicative of success. Even if on paper we've taken a step back on Defense, our gains on Offense cannot be understated. If Marquise Brown is as advertised I'm happy. Mark Ingram is a really really good player. Boykin has the ability to contribute. Simply put, we're not playing to have the #1 Defense, we're playing to win the Superbowl.

3) We aren't bare on D. The biggest way a Defense can help its offense is turnovers. Enter Earl Thomas. Add in the FBS Sack leader in Jaylon Ferguson in the 3rd round. Not to mention we still have standout proven players returning like Matt Judon, Marlon Humphrey, Michael Pierce, and Brandon Carr. This defense has the tools to be one of the best in the NFL, led by maybe the best Defensive coordinator the franchise has seen in Martindale.
    Last edited by Shrubbs; 05-21-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."