Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Low Risk / High Reward Signings

I am absolutely loving EDC so far.

A lot of these guys may not pan out to much, but he's bringing in competition of guys that have been in the league and letting them compete. It pushes who we have and adds value.

I would also argue he's doing a very good job of giving guys that fit positional holes. For example:
    Joker LB - McPhee was that role for us. We didn't add anyone and he brings McPhee back
    MIKE LB - We don't really have a thumper that can take on blocks and make sure tackles. Bostic does that.
    RUSH OLB - Ray will compete with T-Will and Ferguson for snaps.
    X WR - Floyd won't make the team (I'll make that prediction rihgt now), but he is an X who has had success in the league. He's a great mentor through camp for Boykin (Both Notre Dame guys too so there could be a good connection)

I absolutely love this approach. Teams will feel compelled to give guys a shot if they sign them for big dollars. But in these cases, if they don't pan out in camp you just cut them. It's an approach where you're taking multiple shots at the dart board hoping you hit on a starter.

Really impressed with EDC.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Re: Low Risk / High Reward Signings

We’ll see if they’re actually cut when they don’t perform

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    We’ll see if they’re actually cut when they don’t perform
    Crabtree kept getting opportunities becasue they gave him money.

I don't think these guys are going to get very much. We'll have to see, but I'd be shocked if they kept Michael Floyd for example just because they signed him.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Crabtree kept getting opportunities becasue they gave him money.

I don't think these guys are going to get very much. We'll have to see, but I'd be shocked if they kept Michael Floyd for example just because they signed him.
    I really hope you’re right. I don’t want them to hang onto guys just because they have been in the league a couple years. If they actually treat these guys as bubble players, I’m happy.

A lot of these guys may not pan out to much, but he's bringing in competition of guys that have been in the league and letting them compete. It pushes who we have and adds value.

I absolutely love this approach. Teams will feel compelled to give guys a shot if they sign them for big dollars. But in these cases, if they don't pan out in camp you just cut them. It's an approach where you're taking multiple shots at the dart board hoping you hit on a starter.

I'm not expecting a lot out of any of them really. However, this is a very Patriots approach. If just one of them gives us a little bit, by November you'll have forgotten we even signed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    I'm not expecting a lot out of any of them really. However, this is a very Patriots approach. If just one of them gives us a little bit, by November you'll have forgotten we even signed the others.
    Good point. I should clarify. I don't think these guys are going to produce like crazy. If they make the team, the production will be modest, but like I said it's throwing darts at the board to try and find guys and they fit the scheme.
    - Ray Lewis

Have they released any numbers on the contracts they signed or just assume vet minimum?

I agree with you, such a high upside and little risk. Hopefully drives a bunch of competition and gets some of our guys (Bowser) to step it up.

I dont See the upside as very high, but more low risk/lowing reward kind of moves that need to happen every offseason. If we get 10 starts from this bunch total that’s a win.

I would also argue he's doing a very good job of giving guys that fit positional holes. For example:
    Joker LB - McPhee was that role for us. We didn't add anyone and he brings McPhee back
    MIKE LB - We don't really have a thumper that can take on blocks and make sure tackles. Bostic does that.
    RUSH OLB - Ray will compete with T-Will and Ferguson for snaps.
    X WR - Floyd won't make the team (I'll make that prediction rihgt now), but he is an X who has had success in the league. He's a great mentor through camp for Boykin (Both Notre Dame guys too so there could be a good connection)

I agree 100%...

Is the Jon Bostic signing a done deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Is the Jon Bostic signing a done deal?
    Bostic was god awful for the Steelers last year.

I hope we don’t sign him.

I’m typically the pessimist on this site. And once again, I’m on that side of things. I don’t like the signings. Especially when we have young guys that we need to see what they can do and we are signing guys that are at best average. It’s a cycle that needs to end with this management.

I’d rather a young draft pick take his lumps and grow with the team than an average to below average guy come in and do nothing noteworthy in the one year we usually keep these guys.

The Bostic’s, Floyd’s and McPhee’s don’t need to be signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    Bostic was god awful for the Steelers last year.

I hope we don’t sign him.

I’m typically the pessimist on this site. And once again, I’m on that side of things. I don’t like the signings. Especially when we have young guys that we need to see what they can do and we are signing guys that are at best average. It’s a cycle that needs to end with this management.

I’d rather a young draft pick take his lumps and grow with the team than an average to below average guy come in and do nothing noteworthy in the one year we usually keep these guys.

The Bostic’s, Floyd’s and McPhee’s don’t need to be signed.
    They're camp bodies with little risk. If these three start over the draft picks, it's because they earned the position. If the young guys can't handle the competition, they probably weren't that good to begin with.