Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Baltimore signing Shane Ray

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...75275232325632

@TomPelissero
    Follow Follow @TomPelissero
    More
    Pending a physical, former #Broncos first-round pick Shane Ray plans to sign with the #Ravens, source said. Some pass rush help for Baltimore.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Re: Baltimore signing Shane Ray

Shane Ray is in the same bucket as Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser. They haven't lived up to their draft status.

Ray had 14.5 sacks and 22.5 TFL in his last year at Missouri. It just hasn't translated to the NFL. In his second year he had 8 sacks, but just 1 in the last 2 years.

IMO this is the Ravens throwign as many darts at the board with their RUSH OLB replacement as possible. Not a bad move, but not one that gets me excited.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

I heard that the FO REALLY liked Ray coming out and were hoping he'd fall to them. So this flyer isn't a surprise.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I heard that the FO REALLY liked Ray coming out and were hoping he'd fall to them. So this flyer isn't a surprise.
    Yup. I believe Shane Ray fit that 'stupidly athletic burst' profile that they were focusing on with their pass rushers (Correa, Bowser, T-Will), but weren't the most refined football players.

That's why I liked the Ferguson draft pick. He was the opposite. Very good football player, but not the best athlete.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Shane Ray plans to sign with Ravens
    Posted by Michael David Smith on May 17, 2019, 9:25 AM EDT :

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-with-ravens/

McPhee now Ray, who's next? ... Bc

I like this signing. Low risk high reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Similar to the McPhee signing. If he sucks in camp, they cut him and it's no sweat off their back.

At this point, just get options.
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Agreed! It's not like they spent a bunch of money on him. If he gets some sacks, it's a good deal, if he doesn't we cut our loses.

Nothing bad about this signing IMO.

3 surgeries in a year for a torn wrist ligament. Hopefully it's finally healed correctly.

Blog Entries

Ray gets his head on straight, I think he has shown some ability. That 8 sack second season is more than Bowser or Williams has ever shown. I get that hes not perfect, as the last two years have shown him not to be very efficient, but I like the signing. I thought he made sense a few weeks back as a prime low risk, high reward type player.

Id classify this as the corresponding move i wanted to see with the signing of McPhee. McPhee will be the vet that you know what your floor will be, Ray will be the guy that you hope to get more ceiling out of. Itll be good to see what he does and at 26, hes still young enough to be a longterm solution if he does work out.

this signing makes me feel better about the McPhee signing as well, so its a win-win to me. ZSmith was the replacement for McPhee, now McPhee replaces him. Judon is the replacement for Suggs, and Ray/Ferguson/Williams/Bowser are the replacement for Judon. thats not nearly as barron as it was a few weeks ago.

a long term passrusher, especially with Judon on his last year, is still this teams highest priority going forward.
    -JAB

Love this offseason. Great to see all these guys coming in to compete. Probably all signed with very minimal signing bonuses/guaranteed money so very easily cut.

McPhee, Ray and Floyd can all reasonably make the team. Opens up trade possibilities and red-shirt IR seasons for some of the younger guys. The Final 53 will be a very tough cut this year.

I love this signing combo'd up w/McPhee. If Bowser or Williams come into camp NOT being in the best shape of their life & haven't spent enough time working on their game in the offseason - they could be cut loose in favor of a couple of vets who probably appreciate another shot. Who wants the roster spot the most? Create competition. At this point, I don't care who out of that group makes it - I want the ones w/the most heart & effort. More bodies = more competition = a bit more depth in case of a camp injury.