Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Joe Flacco, a Lightning Rod

Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Joe Flacco, a Lightning Rod

He's been a lightning rod for at least two related reasons.
    1) People most readily react to what is seen as opposed to unseen.
    2) People assume their emotional reactions are reasonable and expect that reaction to be duplicated or affirmed by others.

From day one Flacco's oftentimes stoic demeanor has worked against him. It led people to think he is apathetic. "I can't see him caring; therefore, he doesn't care. I care a damn lot about that failed third down conversion; my feelings are reasonable, everyone would feel as I do. But I don't see Flacco caring; therefore, he must not care. I hate that I care more about the team's failure than does Flacco; if he doesn't care about it then I don't care about him." It's a kind of discrimination against introverts.

There are other reasons, of course. The question of whether he have enough talent surrounding him to succeed is major reason.

But the original reason, and the persistent reason, has been people's reaction (the attack and defense) to his stoic demeanor.

I just don't understand why it's so hard to wish Joe the best( except against us) while fully backing the Ravens and Jackson giving him enough time to develop.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    I just don't understand why it's so hard to wish Joe the best( except against us) while fully backing the Ravens and Jackson giving him enough time to develop.
    This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Apparently it's impossible to some here

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

H8rs gunna H8.

Blog Entries

I root for a lot of other players I like around the league and if you ask those same people to list some of their favorites, im sure theyre not all Ravens. Im not sure why its such a big deal to like a former Raven and want them to do well either. Its never changed my fandom of this team.

Some just dislike Flacco that much they cant stand anybody liking him. its become personal for some reason.
    -JAB

I just don't understand why it's so hard to ....
    Over the years--after sharing thoughts with complete strangers on boards like this--I've come to realize there are two types of people in the world: those who see only black or white (extremists)...and people who see things in shades of gray (moderates).

Put me in the latter...although I realize when it comes to navigating your way through life, both perspectives come with pros and cons (hey! I can see it both ways!)

Anyway, for this topic--Joe Flacco--people in the former group will harbor unending hate for the Ravens' GM/head coach for dumping/failing a player who had their unwavering support...or the same category of posters will supply ad-nauseum, mirror-opposite posts on how Joe is dogshit and was lucky to have a mini run of luck running up to the SuperBowl.

Black versus white. For them, there is no grey space in between.

They don't want to accept the view that Joe had his run in Baltimore, but regardless of who is to blame, it wasn't working for him here any longer--it was simply time to move on. Regardless of what happens, the decision to move on from Joe shouldn't be judged in 20/20 hindsight.

Maybe he'll succeed elsewhere. Maybe both Lamar and Joe can have good years...or maybe both will struggle to be efficient passers.

In this haze of offseason grey, I can't say.

I know I was one who supported Joe and defended him at times.
    But I am not one of those who will follow him to Denver.
    I should be able to root for my team, wish Joe well, and move on.
    I thought the emergence of Lamar was exciting to watch.
    The Ravens with an exciting offense! That's just crazy!

Heck, I am looking forward to the day Joe leads the Broncos to the playoffs, as Lamar leads the Ravens to the playoffs.
    Then all hell breaks loose when Joe has to come here and face Lamar in M&T.
    What a story line and it very well could happen.
    “They gonna get a Super Bowl outta me. Believe that…Believe that”, Lamar, after being drafted by the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Over the years--after sharing thoughts with complete strangers on boards like this--I've come to realize there are two types of people in the world: those who see only black or white (extremists)...and people who see things in shades of gray (moderates).

Put me in the latter...although I realize when it comes to navigating your way through life, both perspectives come with pros and cons (hey! I can see it both ways!)

Anyway, for this topic--Joe Flacco--people in the former group will harbor unending hate for the Ravens' GM/head coach for dumping/failing a player who had their unwavering support...or the same category of posters will supply ad-nauseum, mirror-opposite posts on how Joe is dogshit and was lucky to have a mini run of luck running up to the SuperBowl.

Black versus white. For them, there is no grey space in between.

They don't want to accept the view that Joe had his run in Baltimore, but regardless of who is to blame, it wasn't working for him here any longer--it was simply time to move on. Regardless of what happens, the decision to move on from Joe shouldn't be judged in 20/20 hindsight.

Maybe he'll succeed elsewhere. Maybe both Lamar and Joe can have good years...or maybe both will struggle to be efficient passers.

In this haze of offseason grey, I can't say.
    Exactly right. There are many who can put their finger on exactly why Joe didn't excel other than the 2012 run - some will put it on FO/HC, some will put it on Joe. If you asked me to put my finger on it - it would probably take both hands.

Joe had a great run and brought us a SB. I wish him luck in Denver except against us, and in everything else he does in life.

I generally root for ex Ravens, especially ones who performed well with the Ravens, but it's true I want Flacco to do poorly for Denver. Maybe it's because if he really plays well it's an indictment of the Ravens offense over the last decade, or an indictment of the work Flacco put in since the Super Bowl, maybe it's the elite meme, the contract is certainly a factor, but I want to see Z Smith and Suggs have 11+ sacks and Weddle in the Super Bowl but would rather Flacco be in the 30s in every passing category as is the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
    I generally root for ex Ravens, especially ones who performed well with the Ravens, but it's true I want Flacco to do poorly for Denver. Maybe it's because if he really plays well it's an indictment of the Ravens offense over the last decade, or an indictment of the work Flacco put in since the Super Bowl, maybe it's the elite meme, the contract is certainly a factor, but I want to see Z Smith and Suggs have 11+ sacks and Weddle in the Super Bowl but would rather Flacco be in the 30s in every passing category as is the norm.
    I don't want Flacco to do poorly, but I will definitely root for Arizona and Rams. If Ravens don't win the SB, I would love to see Weddle or Suggs/Fitzgerald get it. Not likely for Suggs/Fitz, but you never know.