Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: OT: Ken Rosenthal's article on the state of the Orioles.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    I as well. They finally have a plan on field. But I do think it's worth monitoring the situation of the Orioles in Baltimore, or as solely a Baltimore team. What is to stop them from moving and turn the Nationals into a team shared by DC and Baltimore, for instance?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    What is to stop them from moving and turn the Nationals into a team shared by DC and Baltimore, for instance?
    Now that's something I had not considered. I can tell you most DC fans would find that just as desirable as Balt fans would.

I’m sorry but the Orioles have done exactly what they should have done. There’s no way they could afford to pay Schoop AND Manny AND Jones and rebuild the farm system. They all had to go. Cashner had to go.
    They weren’t going to win WITH those guys so it was time to blow the whole thing up.
    The Orioles had a window that if everything went the way it was supposed to go that they SHOULD have won a title somewhere between 13-17. Everything broke against them. Tillman broke down, Bundy broke down before he even started, Gausman was a bust, Davis broke down and the guys that they paid to be the final piece to put them over the top..Jimenez, Cobb, Gallardo all fell well short of what they had done previously in their careers. Still though, they came close in 14 but without Davis,Weiters and Manny couldn’t get past KC.
    The Orioles had lead sails and a paper anchor. They were just at their best floating around the middle somewhere which for that amount of cash is just bad business.
    Another thing, nobody has a crystal ball. When the Orioles paid Chris Davis he was by far THE premier slugger in baseball and could play almost anywhere but CF and SS in a pinch. Hell he’d probably even catch well. Had he been picked up by Boston or New York or Philly and continued to hit 40 a year everyone would have cried just as the did when Mussina got paid by the Yankees.
    Also had the Orioles paid Manny 300m and he went on to bat a whopping .273 everyone would have cried foul as well.

My advice: The Orioles suck, they’re supposed to suck right now. Despite the record there are some decent players on this team, and if Hyde is a good manager they might start to look like a baseball team in a year or two. My money says that they won’t be THIS bad for very long.

Blog Entries

Birds won in 16 last night. Utility player Stevie Wilkerson gets the save - the first position player to ever earn a save as an Oriole and that stat has been around as long as I have...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

According to 105.7 The Fan, the Orioles farm system now ranks #8 (up from 22 at the beginning of the season) in Baseball America's rankings.

The rankings are locked here behind a paywall: https://www.baseballamerica.com/rank...lent-rankings/

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Birds won in 16 last night. Utility player Stevie Wilkerson gets the save - the first position player to ever earn a save as an Oriole and that stat has been around as long as I have...
    They said on PTI that he was the first ever.

And he was throwing in the 40s! Slower than BP.

It was the first ever MLB-wide.

Funny thing about the save...he really should have been credited with the win. Scott pitched briefly and ineffectively (gave up a 3-run lead in the 15th to blow the save and Ynoa's win). When that happens, the official scorer is supposed to credit the win to the succeeding pitcher who he deems to have pitched most effectively. Since Wilkerson was the only succeeding pitcher to do so, he'd have got the win and by definition, would not have been eligible for a save.

Chris Davis is the only position player to have won a game in the AL since 1968 (Rocky Colavito). OC21 researched and found a NL position player (Wilson Valdez) won a game in 2011.