Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

OT: Ken Rosenthal's article on the state of the Orioles.

If you don't know, Ken Rosenthal was a sports reporter (mainly Orioles) for the Baltimore Sun from 1986 to 2000. He now writes for The Athletic, but still has close ties in Baltimore. He occassionally has written imflammatory pieces about the Orioles, but he usually has sources to back up his claims.

Here a link to his latest article: https://theathletic.com/979043/2019/...-the-concerns/

Since this is behind a paywall, I'll sum up the articles main points:

- The Orioles are highly unlikely to move. The Orioles and the Maryland Stadium Authority are in preliminary talks to secure a new lease beyond 2021. The Bruce Cunningham rumor isn't mentioned, but it's obvious what Ken is trying to address here.

- The MASN dispute between the Orioles and Nationals is frustrating MLB. In baseball’s view, the Orioles need to put the MASN dispute to rest, reach agreement with the Nationals and move on to other pressing topics. The 30 major-league franchises have spent more than $10 million in legal fees to essentially fight one of its own teams, sources say – and that figure does not include the money the Orioles and Nationals have spent individually.

- For more than a year, baseball has asked the team to appoint a control person in place of Angelos, 89, who is in poor health. The control person is accountable to baseball for the operation of the club and for its compliance with the rules of baseball. The Orioles still have not responded to baseball’s request, though Angelos’ sons, John and Lou, have assumed more prominent roles with the club and attended recent owners’ meetings.

- According to officials on both sides, The Orioles have not made a formal proposal to MLB about hosting the All-Star Game. So, that explains why we haven't gotten the All-Star game.

- Mike Elias has yet to name a permanent farm director, or amateur scouting director.

Re: OT: Ken Rosenthal's article on the state of the Orioles.

Abandon hope all ye who enter this thread, for your taxes and cable fees are going toward this cluster fuck of a franchise

Blog Entries

My favourite Rosenthal articles of all time were one where he wrote the Orioles had to resign Brady Anderson and another a couple years later where he ripped the O's for making that contract.

Still, he's overall a decent reporter despite his anti-Angelos bias which comes out when he writes about the O's.

The MASN issue isn't on the O's. MLB decided to move a team into the Orioles territory, and concessions were made so that could happen. Now they don't want to live with it anymore.

Angelos does need to pick a successor since he's obviously not doing the job as owner.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    - Mike Elias has yet to name a permanent farm director, or amateur scouting director.
    Just responding to this... Elias was hired at a point in the offseason where he wasn't going to have all the time needed to make every necessary hire. Many possible candidates would have already accepted other jobs (not just as far as directors go, but scouts too). Part of that is due to the length of time the O's took finding their GM. However, I don't think that should be a knock against the team, as you had the Angelos sons looking to change the direction of the franchise (read: catch up to modern baseball). They were thorough in their search through a land previously uncharted to the team and, I believe, ended up with the right hire.

Seeing as how the rebuild was going to realistically take several years, there's no need for Elias to fill roles with scraps (and then possibly ride that for a few years) when you can take your time to assess and get the best people possible next year.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    he's overall a decent reporter despite his anti-Angelos bias which comes out when he writes about the O's.
    I've had an anti-Angelos bias since 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    My favourite Rosenthal articles of all time were one where he wrote the Orioles had to resign Brady Anderson and another a couple years later where he ripped the O's for making that contract.

Still, he's overall a decent reporter despite his anti-Angelos bias which comes out when he writes about the O's.

The MASN issue isn't on the O's. MLB decided to move a team into the Orioles territory, and concessions were made so that could happen. Now they don't want to live with it anymore.

Angelos does need to pick a successor since he's obviously not doing the job as owner.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Neil Greenberg wrote Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500M then next offseason said he's not worth 13 yr $330M

didn't Rosenthal get his start in Baltimore. was he a Baltimore sun writer before he got the bow tie. i remember him always being taking the negative bent to the orioles and i was glad to see him leave.

Quote Originally Posted by 52N19 View Post
    didn't Rosenthal get his start in Baltimore. was he a Baltimore sun writer before he got the bow tie. i remember him always being taking the negative bent to the orioles and i was glad to see him leave.
    He used to write for the Baltimore Sun

his first paper out of University of Penn was the York Daily Record...I was in college picking up some xtra cash writing for the weekly paper on Saturdays...covered a few events with him...he was sort of quiet...didn't really get to know him...he then got the O's beat writer job with the Sun and then became a columnist with them...then onto national gigs and a successful career.

Blog Entries

Well the Yankees crushed them again and are 6-0 in Baltimore

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Well the Yankees crushed them again and are 6-0 in Baltimore
    Read an article yesterday saying they are on pace to shatter the record for homers given up in a season by almost 100. The team is sooooo bad but hopefully the future is bright. Definitely willing to be patient with this. I like the fact that they have accepted they are going to suck and aren't trying to patch things quickly.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Not big on reading the original post in the thread, are ya?