Thread: Comp Picks

Comp Picks

Forgive for the new thread on this subject but I read an article on Philly voice as to whether they should cut recently signed FAs to preserve comp picks for 2020. I didn't know that was a consideration. Forgive my ignorance on the subject.

So, if Justin Bethel, for instance, didn't make the team, could we then gain (regain) a comp pick for next year? How would it effect the comp formula?

Re: Comp Picks

"The placement of picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's average annual salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick. However, the NFL has never revealed the exact formula used to determine allotment of compensatory picks, though observers from outside the NFL have been able to reverse engineer it to some degree of certainty."

From wikipedia

I too have questions about the effect cutting a player before the season, during the season and injuries. Like if cousins had gotten hurt last year miss season, does that effect how they are viewed on the Comp chart? And that includes both the team receiving the player and the one losing the player.

I believe it that if we cut a Bethel/JAG before the season it would eliminate him from the comp chart. And I think, if earl Thomas broke a leg in preseason, that would remove him from the comp chart if we cut him, but if we kept him they would discount him for losing a year on the contract but take into account the remainder of his contract and salary. It's confusing because they insinuate a lot about what the player does in the first year of the contract in terms of post season honors and playing time.

It's intentionally vague because the NFL has some kind of fascination with being non transparent and screwing simple things like "what is a catch" or a "football move".

But in simple terms, I believe cutting a new FA before the season removes him from comp consideration.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Question Re: Comp Picks

I don't know the convoluted formula, but wasn't Rick Wagner supposed to give the Ravens a 3rd round comp pick? When he was injured as a Lion (2017?), wasn't that pick downgraded to a 6th? ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I don't know the convoluted formula, but wasn't Rick Wagner supposed to give the Ravens a 3rd round comp pick? When he was injured as a Lion (2017?), wasn't that pick downgraded to a 6th? ... Bc
    I think that was because Wagner got injured and missed a few games. Playing time factors into the comp pick formula.

Quote Originally Posted by guymf4 View Post
    "The placement of picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's average annual salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick. However, the NFL has never revealed the exact formula used to determine allotment of compensatory picks, though observers from outside the NFL have been able to reverse engineer it to some degree of certainty."

From wikipedia

I too have questions about the effect cutting a player before the season, during the season and injuries. Like if cousins had gotten hurt last year miss season, does that effect how they are viewed on the Comp chart? And that includes both the team receiving the player and the one losing the player.

I believe it that if we cut a Bethel/JAG before the season it would eliminate him from the comp chart. And I think, if earl Thomas broke a leg in preseason, that would remove him from the comp chart if we cut him, but if we kept him they would discount him for losing a year on the contract but take into account the remainder of his contract and salary. It's confusing because they insinuate a lot about what the player does in the first year of the contract in terms of post season honors and playing time.

It's intentionally vague because the NFL has some kind of fascination with being non transparent and screwing simple things like "what is a catch" or a "football move".

But in simple terms, I believe cutting a new FA before the season removes him from comp consideration.

If a player is permanently cut by a team before Week 10 of the season, they are excluded from the comp pick formula. According to OTC, cutting Bethel before Week 10 would yield a 5th rounder for Suggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If a player is permanently cut by a team before Week 10 of the season, they are excluded from the comp pick formula. According to OTC, cutting Bethel before Week 10 would yield a 5th rounder for Suggs.
    Good to know. Thank you