Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pernell McPhee?

Re: Pernell McPhee?

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post
    Regarding leadership/tutelage: if he is a now a marginal player whose career is at the brink then how amenable will he be to helping a young player supplant him? It's possible he might want to do just the opposite of share tips: he may want to hoard his insights in hopes of hanging on.

From another perspective, a young player is not likely to look upon McPhee as he would Suggs or Lewis. They aren't going to see a special player, someone to sheepishly watch from a distance and emulate.

Granted, I don't know what kind of teammate he is. I do know that I liked him when he was here. He, like Dannell Ellerbe, was someone you couldn't help but notice. There was an energy....plays seemed to happen when he was in the game.

Today, however, I don't foresee a role for him barring injury. Third down interior pressure from a lineman -- that will likely be Willie Henry and (if the mock drafters were right) Gerald Willis. I don't think opponents will be fooled into thinking McPhee can play in reverse; and so it's a question of whether he's still athletically gifted enough to make an impact while predictably playing forward.
    This.

I think it's a favor to give the guy a shot, but doubtful he can be that leader or that rotational guy. But he can give it a shot against the youth. Maybe he's still got it, probably doesn't.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by guymf4; 05-16-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Blog Entries

likely low risk signing, but i dont see high reward as likely either. McPhee was quick for a bigger guy, but his quickness seems to have been sapped by injuries and hes now just a body out there. He does know the culture here, so theres that, but I dont see him having a big role and IMO is a bubble player despite our need at OLB. we should still be looking for another more likely to have an impact, imo.

im not mad at the signing, but I think this is better as a secondary signing as depth rather than a first and expected contributor.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

4. Re: Pernell McPhee?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    The one that got away...lol.

He coulda been a helluva nose tackle; no - strike that - a helluva nose guard.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post

Did I hear something?

"Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post
    Regarding leadership/tutelage: if he is a now a marginal player whose career is at the brink then how amenable will he be to helping a young player supplant him? It's possible he might want to do just the opposite of share tips: he may want to hoard his insights in hopes of hanging on.

From another perspective, a young player is not likely to look upon McPhee as he would Suggs or Lewis. They aren't going to see a special player, someone to sheepishly watch from a distance and emulate.

Granted, I don't know what kind of teammate he is. I do know that I liked him when he was here. He, like Dannell Ellerbe, was someone you couldn't help but notice. There was an energy....plays seemed to happen when he was in the game.

Today, however, I don't foresee a role for him barring injury. Third down interior pressure from a lineman -- that will likely be Willie Henry and (if the mock drafters were right) Gerald Willis. I don't think opponents will be fooled into thinking McPhee can play in reverse; and so it's a question of whether he's still athletically gifted enough to make an impact while predictably playing forward.

Hmmm I see your point but Mcphee is still an accomplished player. His accomplishments is something I think even Williams, Judon, and Bowser would probably look up to. Mcphee also has played with Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Ed Reed, and Haloti Ngata. He also has a super bowl ring which again is something young players can look up to. I don't know how good Mcphee still is but he's only 30 years old and wasn't really used whole alot in The Redskins defense last year. I know he had zero sacks last year but I would like to know how often he was able to pressure the quarterback because honestly that is the more important stat.

GB overpaid for Zadarius. He'll be a cap casualty in about two years.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    Just like bears with McPhee.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post

Think he could've held up at NG? I mean nt, yeah, but really?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    3 years. They actually structured the deal so they could get out of it in 3 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    3 years. They actually structured the deal so they could get out of it in 3 years.
    Still way overpaid.

From what I have seen on tape Pernell Mcphee doesnt look washed up at all. This guy may still be good especially if he stays healthy.