Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pernell McPhee?

Re: Pernell McPhee?

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    likely low risk signing, but i dont see high reward as likely either. McPhee was quick for a bigger guy, but his quickness seems to have been sapped by injuries and hes now just a body out there. He does know the culture here, so theres that, but I dont see him having a big role and IMO is a bubble player despite our need at OLB. we should still be looking for another more likely to have an impact, imo.

im not mad at the signing, but I think this is better as a secondary signing as depth rather than a first and expected contributor.
    That is what I've heard too. He was never the quickest guy here even before the injury the writeups I've read indicate he looked like he's lost a ton of athleticism.

Hard to stick at OLB without a certain amount of speed in todays NFL. As the saying goes speed kills well the same applies for a lack of speed.

Edgar Allen just came out with a look at McPhee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Djy1i4fvGc

I haven't looked at any of his recent Bears/R-words film myself, but this video definitely makes me feel great about signing McPhee as a player who can still contribute in a meaningful way. Hearing him talk on the Lounge podcast makes me doubly thrilled to have him, as a veteran guy who can give tips to the young bucks not only on the field but with off the field conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by BhndEnemyLines20 View Post
    Edgar Allen just came out with a look at McPhee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Djy1i4fvGc

I haven't looked at any of his recent Bears/R-words film myself, but this video definitely makes me feel great about signing McPhee as a player who can still contribute in a meaningful way. Hearing him talk on the Lounge podcast makes me doubly thrilled to have him, as a veteran guy who can give tips to the young bucks not only on the field but with off the field conditioning.
    Great video. Thanks for posting. Definitely gives me optimism that McPhee still has something left in the tank and can be a solid contributor to the Ravens D.

I was curious how much the numbers backed up Edgar Allen's claim that "he still looks good," since he has clearly been hampered by injuries the last few seasons, as well as decreased snap counts and different roles, which have led to pretty poor raw stats.

I decided the easiest way to correct for different roles and injuries was to look at rates: take a stat and normalize to the number of snaps played.

First looking at McPhee alone, and the 3 easiest found/most relevant stats for a player of McPhee's role: QB hits, sacks, and tackles for loss (TFL):

From this, you can see that McPhee has held a pretty consistent ability to get to the QB. For this I'm looking at what I consider the most important stat, QB hits. His QB hit rate has basically stayed flat over the last 4 seasons, despite 2 major injuries (knee in 2016, shoulder in 2017) and 2 different teams.
    Last edited by BhndEnemyLines20; 05-28-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Since these numbers don't mean anything without context, I decided to compare the rates to 2 Ravens who had similar roles: Judon and Z Smith.

First QB hit rate:

And next TFL rate:

From these, I'd double down on Edgar Allen's take that McPhee is definitely still performing well, when on the field. He has similar or better production as Judon and Z Smith (albeit in different roles). The question is how much is his correct snap count, and can he stay healthy?
    Last edited by BhndEnemyLines20; 05-28-2019 at 04:28 PM.