Page 1 of 38 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 445
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    5,921

    New abortion laws

    Whats your thoughts on this?
    I couldn't see a thread on it, why not? Surely this is a massive talking point in the U S of A





  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    26,050

    Re: New abortion laws

    What are the laws in the UK, arnie?
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

    Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR





  3. #3

    Re: New abortion laws

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Whats your thoughts on this?
    I couldn't see a thread on it, why not? Surely this is a massive talking point in the U S of A
    The wave of them that's been around fetal heartbeat?

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk





  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    8,450
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New abortion laws

    Is this about the Alabama one?

    I'm generally pro-life despite leaning more left of center on other issues, but I can't support anything that blocks abortion in the case of rape/sexual abuse/incest. A preteen (or anyone FFS) getting raped, getting pregnant from it, and being forced to carry that baby is not "God's will" or whatever bullshit pols want to describe it as.

    Now, an adult who has consensual sex with no protection and gets pregnant from that? Sorry, you made the decision to (possibly) have a baby when you made the decision to have sex with no protection. The decision doesn't come when you find out your pregnant. That's on you and I'm pro-life at that point.
    Twitter: @3nd0worm

    "Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the mans preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52





  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    26,050

    Re: New abortion laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Is this about the Alabama one?

    I'm generally pro-life despite leaning more left of center on other issues, but I can't support anything that blocks abortion in the case of rape/sexual abuse/incest. A preteen (or anyone FFS) getting raped, getting pregnant from it, and being forced to carry that baby is not "God's will" or whatever bullshit pols want to describe it as.

    Now, an adult who has consensual sex with no protection and gets pregnant from that? Sorry, you made the decision to (possibly) have a baby when you made the decision to have sex with no protection. The decision doesn't come when you find out your pregnant. That's on you and I'm pro-life at that point.
    It's such a fine line. I had 2 friends in highschool that were dating. She was on the pill. He used condoms. They were the 1% of the 99% effective birth control population apparently. She got pregnant. They got an abortion. I supported their decision. Some did not.

    However, the people out there that are reckless, like you mentioned, and just go and get abortions after being so reckless. I don't support that.

    But if I had to label myself, I'd be pro-choice. But there's always an extent that I'd support.
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

    Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR





  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    12,867

    Re: New abortion laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    The wave of them that's been around fetal heartbeat?

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Probably the Alabama one.

    As I'm sure anyone who has hung around here knows, I think it's fantastic.
    "Don't let your happiness depend on something you may lose." - C.S. Lewis





  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    26,050

    Re: New abortion laws

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Probably the Alabama one.

    As I'm sure anyone who has hung around here knows, I think it's fantastic.
    Didn't they motion an exemption for rape/incest victims and it was voted down 11-21? That just seems bizarre to me.
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

    Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR





  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    12,867

    Re: New abortion laws

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Didn't they motion an exemption for rape/incest victims and it was voted down 11-21? That just seems bizarre to me.
    I believe they did vote it down.

    I understand why some feel they should make exceptions for those, I used to as well, and part of me still does. But at the end of the day, it's a life or it's not, no matter how it got here, and it's either wrong to end it at any stage, or it isn't.
    "Don't let your happiness depend on something you may lose." - C.S. Lewis





  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    49,758
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: New abortion laws

    The issue with the rape/incest concept is you're still killing a child that didn't do anything. That's the hard part about that one.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

    RIP #25





  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    26,050

    Re: New abortion laws

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The issue with the rape/incest concept is you're still killing a child that didn't do anything. That's the hard part about that one.
    Yeah I get that in terms of the pro-life logic line.

    I guess I just couldn't imagine being close to someone in that situation and then having to have the baby or go to jail if they did abort it. Like that just seems so fucked up to me.
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

    Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR





  11. #11

    Re: New abortion laws

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Didn't they motion an exemption for rape/incest victims and it was voted down 11-21? That just seems bizarre to me.
    I think they did that purposefully for court review. Since, well the point they are trying to make is that it's a person. And since giving the exception for rape/incest would allow the abortion, that sort of works against their point that it's a person and shouldn't be killed.
    It's a states rights issue





  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    12,867

    Re: New abortion laws

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Yeah I get that in terms of the pro-life logic line.

    I guess I just couldn't imagine being close to someone in that situation and then having to have the baby or go to jail if they did abort it. Like that just seems so fucked up to me.
    It's fucked up all around. I'm not 100% sure how Alabama's law works, but most laws are saying the doctors are the ones that would break the law cause they know it's a life, but the women may not.

    Haven't researched this a ton, but apparently most women who get pregnant from rape don't choose abortion:


    https://www.abortionfacts.com/reardo...yond-the-myths
    For example, it is commonly assumed that rape victims who become pregnant would naturally want abortions. But in the only major study of pregnant rape victims ever done, Dr. Sandra Mahkorn found that 75 to 85 percent chose against abortion.[1] This evidence alone should cause people to pause and reflect on the presumption that abortion is wanted or even best for sexual assault victims.
    Several reasons are given for not aborting.
    First, approximately 70 percent of all women believe abortion is immoral, even though many also feel it should be a legal choice for others. Approximately the same percentage of pregnant rape victims believe abortion would be just another act of violence perpetrated against their bodies and their children.

    Second, some believe that their child’s life may have some intrinsic meaning or purpose which they do not yet understand. This child was brought into their lives by a horrible, repulsive act. But perhaps God, or fate, will use the child for some greater purpose. Good can come from evil.

    Third, victims of assault often become introspective. Their sense of the value of life and respect for others is heightened. They have been victimized, and the thought that they in turn might victimize their own innocent child through abortion is repulsive.

    Fourth, at least at a subconscious level, the victim may sense that if she can get through the pregnancy, she will have conquered the rape. By giving birth, she can reclaim some of her lost self-esteem. Giving birth, especially when conception was not desired, is a totally selfless act, a generous act, a display of courage, strength and honor. It is proof that she is better than the rapist. While he was selfish, she can be generous. While he was destroying, she can be nurturing.
    "Don't let your happiness depend on something you may lose." - C.S. Lewis





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site