Page 48 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4647484950 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2020 NFL Draft Thread

If Burrow really wanted to throw he would throw.

Simple as that.

It’s not a big deal to me either way.
    It’s the the safe play for someone in his situation.

Cam is the only QB that came into the combine as the #1 that still threw.

Many draft media “experts” were critical and overreacted to what they said was a “poor” performance.

But guess what? The combine is less about the measurables as it is about the medical and interviews. So Cam’s supposedly poor throwing session literally meant nothing to NFL decision makers. He went #1 and had a record setting rookie of the year campaign.

The “poor throwing session” meant a lot to the draftniks / media the same draftniks are always telling everyone not to over react combine performances are the ones that overreact.

I'm intrigued by Jalen Reagor. I don't know if I'd buy at #28, but the way he runs and moves, he really reminds me a lot of Tyreek Hill. As an explosive return man, he would help there as well. That would be a TON of speed on the outside to go along with the possession TE's.
    Last edited by Raveninwoodlawn; 02-27-2020 at 08:47 AM.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'm intrigued by Jalen Reagor. I don't know if I'd buy at #28, but the way he runs and moves, he really reminds me a lot of Tyreek Hill. As an explosive return man, he would help there as well. That would be a TON of speed on the outside to go along with the possession TE's.
    I'd love us to take Reagor.

I wouldn't be surprised if we do go WR in the first. It might be the Ravens new philosophy to go for stars on offense and in the secondary and to cobble together a front 7 however we can. After all, when all the front 7 talent left last year we used our cap space to sign a big name safety rather than to replace it.

On the other hand it could just be that it fell that way last year and we'll build up the front 7 as everyone expects. Who knows?

Short interview with DeCosta:

Couple interesting takeaways, for me:

1. He's much more offensive-focused, than I expected going into this draft.
    Talks about how he & Harbs want to surround Lamar with so many playmakers that defenses are fucked; the offensive is "indefensible". More WRs, RBs, O-linemen.

Not your father's Ravens.

2. Garrett Downing asks him to name ONE position-group where he's pretty sure the Ravens will draft a player.
    Downing evidently asks him this every year. DeCosta named THREE:
    • OL
    • WR
    • DL or OLB (which I guess means pass-rusher)

He also mentioned that he thinks this draft is loaded in the 4th rd, where the Ravens could have three picks.

Shortish vid, about 7 mins. Worth watching.

Maybe WR in the first really is going to happen. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    [*]OL[*]WR[*]DL or OLB (which I guess means pass-rusher).
    Yes to your parenthetical thought.

I think one of the ways the Ravens believe they can find value in the draft is by projecting players to have different roles than they had in college--roles that better suit their abilities. So we've seen safeties move to ILB (Peanut), DT move to OLB (J. Johnson), corners move to the slot or S (Webb), WR move to TE (Waller), 275 lb 4-3 DE to 260 3-4 OLB (Judon).

DeCosta has already indicated they may look to get pass rush from the interior, where they may find better value if one of the blue chip rush ends isn't the first pick. As we get into rounds three and four I expect to see them go in that sort of direction, or to draft college tackle with a middling grade who they feel they can groom into a top interior lineman.

I actually anticipate them targeting a WR with the first pick, and then two or three defensive players before they come back to take an offensive lineman--just the way the board sets up.

Talks about how he & Harbs want to surround Lamar with so many playmakers that defenses are fucked; the offensive is "indefensible". More WRs, RBs, O-linemen.

2. Garrett Downing asks him to name ONE position-group where he's pretty sure the Ravens will draft a player.
    • OL
    • WR

He also mentioned that he thinks this draft is loaded in the 4th rd, where the Ravens could have three picks.

What happened to the other pick in round #4?

Last I checked they had (four 4th rounders) right?

• OL
    • WR

DeCosta loves Round 4. I think he says the same thing every year.

Lately however it appears Round 3 is the jackpot. Mark Andrews, Orlando Brown Jr, Miles Boykin, Jaylon Ferguson.

Also note that the round the Ravens are considered weakest relative to draft position (round 2) had no picks the past two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I actually anticipate them targeting a WR with the first pick, and then two or three defensive players before they come back to take an offensive lineman--just the way the board sets up.
    I was real dismissive of that idea as recently as a week ago; two weeks at most. I'm coming around to it.

Some WR 40-times from the Combine:

WR Henry Ruggs III: 4.27
    WR Quez Watkins: 4.35
    WR Denzel Mims: 4.38
    WR Darnell Mooney: 4.38
    WR Devin Duvernay: 4.39
    WR Antonio Gibson: 4.39
    WR Chase Claypool: 4.42
    WR Justin Jefferson: 4.43
    WR John Hightower: 4.43
    WR Jerry Jeudy: 4.45
    WR Jalen Reagor: 4.47
    WR Donovan People-Jones: 4.48
    WR CeeDee Lamb: 4.50
    WR Brandon Aiyuk: 4.50
    Henry Ruggs III had the highest vertical leap (42”) of any player to run a sub-4.30 in the 40-yard dash since official combine data was tracked in 2003
    Matchup nightmare.

I did not expect Mims to be sub-4.4! Whoa.
    Also Justin Jefferson was faster than I expected.

Is CeeDee Lamb's time disappointing? Aiyuk's? Reagor's?

Holy shit -- Mims' 3-cone time was ridiculous as well. Even better than Boykin's was last year:

I thought wed be able to.target Mims with a small.trade down but Im not so sure now...how was Reagors 3 cone?cabtbget it to.load. I saw his 42 vertical and it def shows on tape that he can time it right and high point passes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Some WR 40-times from the Combine:

Matchup nightmare.

Also Justin Jefferson was faster than I expected.

Is CeeDee Lamb's time disappointing? Aiyuk's? Reagor's?
    Lambs time isn't disappointing at all...in fact it may be slightly faster than I thought he'd do. He's fast enough, but not a burner. Aiyuk's...maybe slightly...I thought he'd be a 4.46 type guy so just slightly slower. Reagor to me was definitely the "disappointing" one. I don't think it changes my overall opinion of him because of his tape, but this guy fly's on the field...on tape, he looks like a 4.3 guy, I mean blowing by guys. 4.47 is still fast, but significantly slower than what I expected.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.