Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 74757677 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens 2019 Offense Scheme

If the Ravens came and played true Ravens football they would have won the Titans game.

I don't even mean being run/pass balanced. No. I mean if the Ravens went out there and went "medieval" on the Titans defense and brought out a run heavy opening script with a variety of their "greatest hits" of their concepts. Not just the best read-option runs but the best regular runs.....duo, power, trap, toss/sweep etc.
    No need to hold anything back for the next game because if you don't win this game there isn't a next game.

I'm fully recovered from the loss though.

For a brief second I allowed myself to drift into fantasy island about how awesome would if Lamar could play in offense designed by both Andy Reid AND Greg Roman together? Sometimes I wonder how Lamar would be perceived if the Ravens used the Chiefs scheme? But, when I try to envision that transformation I remember that the Ravens don't have the Chiefs personnel. Both offenses and both QBs have been prolific. One of the main differences thought is that the Ravens offense has a lot less talent at the skill position compared to the Chiefs. While both the Chiefs(2018) and Ravens offenses were record setting and league leading the Ravens have done it with far less talent.
    Also, looking beyond the personnel to the scheme the Ravens have far more 'easy' concepts built into the passing game. If you look at the Chiefs they throw more screens, more RB primary routes and more RPOs then the Ravens.
    In terms of aggressiveness Pat Mahomes was 12.2 and Lamar Jackson was at 14.7

Quote Originally Posted by Signature Stats
    Aggressiveness (AGG%)
    Aggressiveness tracks the amount of passing attempts a quarterback makes that are into tight coverage, where there is a defender within 1 yard or less of the receiver at the time of completion or incompletion. AGG is shown as a % of attempts into tight windows over all passing attempts.

I believe Harbs when he says their not gonna rest on the laurels from a schematic nor a personnel standpoint. There are a lot of ways I can see the Ravens adding talent to the roster. And given the offense Greg created this past season there isn't going to be any doubt for me that he's gonna make improvements.
    Last edited by edromeo; 01-17-2020 at 11:25 PM.

Ed, beyond just the Titans game, where does this offense go to take a step forward next year? Both from a roster standpoint and a schematic one

Quote Originally Posted by Julius486 View Post
    Ed, beyond just the Titans game, where does this offense go to take a step forward next year? Both from a roster standpoint and a schematic one
    Bolster Front 7 on D(Free Agency) and draft WR(Pref 1 st round) someone to grow with LJ. Ravens need to get back to team where you can not run on them at all.Giving up 100 yards a game was unheard of. Stop Run with our ground game is recipe for success.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    JZC while I think your speculation/pontification is certainly possible, its immaterial to me because of the OL failures, but along the lines you were think I think it would be more likely that Lamar was given the option or 'read' to keep the ball on this run or give it to Gus.

Think about this though – who do you want carrying the with essentially the game on the line? Lamar or Gus?
    No, THIS part mis-states my position.

In my fantasy interpretation of this play, at the snap Lamar is supposed to turn his back to the defense and play-fake to Gus. There's no "read": Lamar isn't facing the defense. Gus takes the fake and acts out the Power run. Lamar keeps the ball and arcs around the offensive Left side, running the bootleg into open space. The only defender out there is the corner across from Boykin, who is giving a ~7 yds cushion and. is not very close (horizontally) to the formation.

OL failures would be irrelevant; and Lamar has the ball, not Gus.

(Rest of your post is spot-on.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    They ran a good bit of outside zone last year under Mornhinweg.
    89 OZ on 547 total attempts in 2018

46 OZ on 569 total attempts in 2019
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    No, THIS part mis-states my position.

In my fantasy interpretation of this play, at the snap Lamar is supposed to turn his back to the defense and play-fake to Gus. There's no "read": Lamar isn't facing the defense. Gus takes the fake and acts out the Power run. Lamar keeps the ball and arcs around the offensive Left side, running the bootleg into open space. The only defender out there is the corner across from Boykin, who is giving a ~7 yds cushion and. is not very close (horizontally) to the formation.
    Oh, I getcha. So you're hypothesizing that the play was a naked bootleg? Again, certainly possible.

But if you are going to have Lamar run the ball outside the tackle box when you only need 1 yard then you may as well give him a read. Taking away the ability to read by having him turn his back to the defense limits the options. Keep his vision trained on the defense so he can read it and decide whether to keep it or not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julius486 View Post
    Great question. Thread worthy question. I would be curious to read your thoughts as well.

I very torn because I feel there are two ways to answer this question. Where do I want the offense to go vs where I think Greg/Harbs will want the offense to go?

From a roster stand point I think the answers are the same: skill position talent and depth WR and RB, interior OL upgrades and planning for the (eventual or immediate) retirement of Yanda,

I want the offense to become more like the Chiefs where they build in more easy plays into the passing game: screens, RPOs, RB primary routes. More downfield passing. More spread concepts, less reliance on read-option and more commitment to the base run game (think Titans).

I think Greg/Harbs will want to expand the usage and impact of the WRs in the passing game but ultimately keep the offense and philosophy from this year. I don't think they're gonna move away significantly from who they were (nor should they imho). I know if i'm Harbs i'm telling Greg I never want to lose a game because we lost our identity.

I think Greg will add some passing concepts from his previous stops when he had #1 WRs and will incorporate some of Chiefs concepts.
    Last edited by edromeo; 01-18-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Blog Entries

If the Ravens ran this^^

Completely forgot....this is from 2 years ago with Marty:

9. Re: Ravens 2019 Offense Scheme

Completely forgot....this is from 2 years ago with Marty:
    They might have run something like this vs. ARZ at Q3, 00:56 (3rd and 20). Also @SEA at Q4, 11:20 (3rd and 8). Are you able to get video for those plays?
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    They might have run something like this vs. ARZ at Q3, 00:56 (3rd and 20). Also @SEA at Q4, 11:20 (3rd and 8). Are you able to get video for those plays?
    Only if they are already available on a youtube highlight.

11. Re: Ravens 2019 Offense Scheme

Only if they are already available on a youtube highlight.
    Ok, I'll get on it.

2019.09.15 vs. ARZ Q3, 00:56M 3rd & 20 from ARZ 24. Jackson 19 yard gain (scramble?).

All-22

EZ

Broadcast
    Last edited by organizedchaos21; 01-18-2020 at 05:19 PM.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

12. Re: Ravens 2019 Offense Scheme

2019.10.20 @SEA Q4, 11:20, 3rd & 8 from BAL 12. Jackson 30 yard scramble (QB draw?)

All 22

EZ

Broadcast