Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5556575859 ... LastLast

Re: A Closer Look at G-Ro's Playcalling

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    3 additions to the offense that I love: WR screen (already covered), Empty sets (quick game) and RBs targetted as part of the primary progression in the passing game
    Yeah, but remember it's the same playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    They've used a lot more spread than I thought they would. Especially out of 12.

In terms of concepts and meshing concepts, very similar to what Roman has done in the past.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I know, I can't tell the difference between this offense and Marty's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    They've used a lot more spread than I thought they would. Especially out of 12.

In terms of concepts and meshing concepts, very similar to what Roman has done in the past.
    I guess it depends on what you mean. For example I don't remember G-Ro using this much shotgun/pistol, nor WR screen game and RPOs.

12 and 22 personnel are my favorite groupings right now. A lot versatility w/ our TE/RB because of the mismatch they present to LBs/SAF that have to cover them. We can go 12/22 spread or power and be effective.

I guess it depends on what you mean. For example I don't remember G-Ro using this much shotgun/pistol, nor WR screen game and RPOs.

12 and 22 personnel are my favorite groupings right now. A lot versatility w/ our TE/RB because of the mismatch they present to LBs/SAF that have to cover them. We can go 12/22 spread or power and be effective.
    We really haven't used RPOs. It's only 2 games, 1 of which was a game script that you can't really use (MIA), so I'm not drawing conclusions.

G-Ro always played a lot of pistol.

I detailed the 12 in my last article. It's been the most impressive and creates a matchup nightmare with the way Roman uses motion (70% of run plays). His ability to motion from 12 spread to 12 tight can create some fun mismatches for certain guys.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

We really haven't used RPOs. It's only 2 games, 1 of which was a game script that you can't really use (MIA), so I'm not drawing conclusions.

G-Ro always played a lot of pistol.

I detailed the 12 in my last article. It's been the most impressive and creates a matchup nightmare with the way Roman uses motion (70% of run plays). His ability to motion from 12 spread to 12 tight can create some fun mismatches for certain guys.
    Right I didn't say G-Ro didn't use pistol, I said I don't recall him using shotgun and pistol this much. G-Ro usually had an element of under the center to his offense's in the past. Outside of goalline my memory tells me that Greg is using undercenter far less now then he ever has before.

Right off the top of my head 2 of the big plays thus far have been from RPO's...Hollywood Miami TD and 2 of Hollywood's screens vs the Cards were RPOs

Also, don't see how/why an entire game script wouldn't be factor in looking for tendencies not conclusions.

Right I didn't say G-Ro didn't use pistol, I said I don't recall him using shotgun and pistol this much. G-Ro usually had an element of under the center to his offense's in the past. Outside of goalline my memory tells me that Greg is using undercenter far less now then he ever has before.

Right off the top of my head 2 of the big plays thus far have been from RPO's...Hollywood Miami TD and 2 of Hollywood's screens vs the Cards were RPOs

Also, don't see how/why an entire game script wouldn't be factor in looking for tendencies not conclusions.
    Right. And I said he used pistol a lot.

I didn't say RPOs weren't effective. I said we haven't used them a lot. Which we haven't.

I was saying that we don't have a big enough sample size, especially because of the MIA game, to say we won't use RPOs a lot. It's really hard thus far to know what his tendencies are WRT RPOs.
    - Ray Lewis

Re: Ravens 2019 Offense Scheme

It's really hard thus far to know what his tendencies are...
    Just the way he likes it, I think.

Blog Entries

Right. And I said he used pistol a lot.

I didn't say RPOs weren't effective. I said we haven't used them a lot. Which we haven't.

I was saying that we don't have a big enough sample size, especially because of the MIA game, to say we won't use RPOs a lot. It's really hard thus far to know what his tendencies are WRT RPOs.
    We can now what he's shown thus far.

Also, i'm confused now b/c you are saying the sample size is too small but you are also at the same time saying what he's doing now is very similar to what he's done before:
    I'm saying it depends on what you mean because G-Ro didn't use this much pistol and shotgun before, he always had an undercenter component to his offense that he doesn't currently use (excluding goal line).

I didn't say anything about the efficacy of RPO's I said that he's using them now and didn't before.

Those 2 elements are departures from what Greg has done in the past.

I do agree about the use of motion and 12 personnel. He's used motion to get Hollywood matched up against OLB in Cover 3 and he's used motion to get Hollywood matched against a Safety in man coverage. It will be interesting to see how defenses counter.

We can now what he's shown thus far.

Also, i'm confused now b/c you are saying the sample size is too small but you are also at the same time saying what he's doing now is very similar to what he's done before:

I'm saying it depends on what you mean because G-Ro didn't use this much pistol and shotgun before, he always had an undercenter component to his offense that he doesn't currently use (excluding goal line).

I didn't say anything about the efficacy of RPO's I said that he's using them now and didn't before.

Those 2 elements are departures from what Greg has done in the past.

I do agree about the use of motion and 12 personnel. He's used motion to get Hollywood matched up against OLB in Cover 3 and he's used motion to get Hollywood matched against a Safety in man coverage. It will be interesting to see how defenses counter.
    When an OC takes over with a new team it's a lot easier to see transferable traits of his offense than new traits. Which is why I'm comfortable saying that he's using similar concepts.

He used a lot of pistol and shotgun with Kaep and Tyrod, so I don't think it's a big departure.

I also don't think he's used enough RPO's, so far, to say they are a big part of the offense. BUT to actually support your argument, I caveated that by saying it's a small sample size (Which is an argument that supports you, rather than disagrees with you lmao)
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

When an OC takes over with a new team it's a lot easier to see transferable traits of his offense than new traits. Which is why I'm comfortable saying that he's using similar concepts.
    Sure, but just because you don't see the new elements doesn't mean others haven't.

He used a lot of pistol and shotgun with Kaep and Tyrod, so I don't think it's a big departure.
    Maybe, we are talking past each other because this again is not my point. Of course he used shotgun and pistol in the past. But other then the goal line how much under center offense have you seen thus far?
    And Greg always had an undercenter component to his offenses in the past. That is a difference.

I also don't think he's used enough RPO's, so far, to say they are a big part of the offense. BUT to actually support your argument, I caveated that by saying it's a small sample size (Which is an argument that supports you, rather than disagrees with you lmao)
    That's fine, but where did I say its a big part of the offense? I didn't I said that he's using RPO's now and really didn't before.

Re: Ravens 2019 Offense Scheme

Ah, so you're disagreeing about "degree" or "frequency" or something. Because GWNR is right: Roman was the league's foremost proponent of the Pistol, 6/7 years ago. He might be doing it more now than he was then; but back then he was doing it more than everybody else.

Our offense even with Joe had some Pistol in it, as far back as '17.

I think you might be right about shotgun. But, that's certainly a direction that the whole league has gone in since Roman's years in SF. I wonder if it also has to do with Lamar's experience/comfort with it from college.

Has to. Philly showed the league you can win a SB with it; and Lamar is pretty much the ultimate weapon for the RPO (or RPRO, if you dont mind my inventing an acronym).

Yes!

You get the sense that it's like he's peeling an onion? Waiting for defenses counter to take away Marquise, so he can spring the surprise that's under that layer? (Which might be Thor.)