Page 56 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5455565758 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens 2019 Offense Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    That would be a cool read. Any chance you can dig up the link?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...fense.amp.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR

Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post
    Switch out Brown for Boykin and you have a possible goal-to-go look. Brown's biggest asset is speed - not as helpful inside the 5 where size matters a little more.
    The Ravens have plenty of options in a goal-to-go look, and I'd probably add 300 pound FB Patrick Ricard and TE Nick Boyle, subtracting smaller, faster guys.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    That's a very interesting personnel grouping coupled with the Gogo formation.

Lining up both backs on the same side by itself creates alignment/assignment issues for the defense.

The match-ups w/ 22 peronnel against base could be:
    Hollywood vs CB+Safety help
    Andrews vs CB
    Hurst vs Safety
    Ingram vs LB
    Hill vs LB

If the defense plays man you could flex/shift Hill out wide.... if i'm a LB playing Hill man to man out wide i'm tapping my helmet asking, begging yelling for Safety help

Also, the personnel grouping doesn't have to be 22 it could be 21 or 20
    The Ravens had a whole lot of success last year doing a lot of running. Much of that running was done by QB Lamar Jackson. If the Ravens want to continue to run as often as they did last year, thinking (rightly, I think) that it will continue to work as well or better than last year, and if they want Lamar to run a little less, those carries that Lamar isn't doing any more have to be made by someone else, and having an additional back in the backfield seems like a good way to do that. For most of the history of the NFL, there have been at least 3 backs in the backfield who were run threats. I can't remember exactly when the QB, RB, FB became no longer standard, but in the 1970s, many of the top rushers were fullbacks. Franco Harris, Larry Czonka, John Riggins, Mark Van Eeghan were all fullbacks who led their teams in carries, and there were RBs or HBs in the backfield with them, also getting carries. And, from there, you have FB Jim Brown in the 50s-60s, and you will go back to the T Formation, with 4 backs in the backfield, and the Single Wing, which actually looks like today's football a lot more than the T Formation looks like today's football. In both, there were 4 run threats in the backfield, stats from then would show 4 players carrying the ball. In single wing, you'd have multiple players throwing the ball as well.

So, I don't know much about this Go go formation, but it has 3 ball carriers in the backfield, and I like that. There are a lot of different formations that put 3 or more ball carriers in the backfield, and I generally like all those formations.

The Ravens really have a lot of potential versatility. I look at the running aspects more than the passing ones, but the Ravens have a really nice BIG run set of players and a really nice FAST run set of players.

Big - TE Andrews, TE Hurst, TE Boyle, FB Ricard, RB Edwards, QB Jackson
    Fast - WR Brown, WR Boykin, WR/QB RGIII, RB Hill, RB Ingram, QB Jackson

Both are potent, the Ravens, if they wanted to, could move each of those sets of 5 on or off the field often, hoping to catch the defense with the wrong players in. It just seems to me that the Ravens might present matchup problems, not just in the run game but the passing game as well.

Found this while surfing the interweaves....

I can't remember all the threads where Lamar's deep ball had been referenced but here stats:

https://brickwallblitz.com/2019/02/2...ject-part-2-3/

TLDR- Lamar ranked 11th in the league as a deep ball passer
    Just wanted to bump so misconceptions/hindsight bias.

Lamar was not a bad deep ball passer last.....and for that matter wasn't a bad deep ball passer in college either. And that despite not having good deep ball receivers and receiving talent plays a big roll in QB deep ball receiving production.

How often have you seen RPO in the NFL from a non-spread formation? But, clearly its the same offense from last year. Nothing new to see last Sunday, same as it ever was.

How often have you seen RPO in the NFL from a non-spread formation? But, clearly it’s the same offense from last year. Nothing new to see last Sunday, same as it ever was.
    It makes sense for Roman to run it out of these formations with 2 TE personnel. Keeps the defense off-kilter.

Theoretically from a design perspective you can run it out of any formation. Looks like Roman and Culley working together on this one which is great to see.
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR

A Closer Look at G-Ro's Playcalling

Greg Roman's screen concepts.

The set-up bait:

11 Personnel, 1x3 Gun HB (R) Formation (Trips Right in some verbiage), 1st & 10 (8:57)
    Hollywood is inside receiver closet to the RT
    Hurst is split out in the slot (R), Snead is split out wide and Boykin is the backside Iso Receiver

Defense starts w/ a 6-man box but builds it to 7 w/ the (L) side Safety flying up.
    Greg creates a great match-up against this Cover 3 look and the closet defender to Hollywood ends up being a LB. This would be a great formation-personnel combination to comeback when facing a team that likes Cover 3.

The play is a Play-action or RPO quick Screen to Hollywood from the slot.
    Hurst and Snead stalk block for the screen. Hollywood runs a short speed out

With the current personnel on the team I think you could put a RB or TE in Hollywood's slot position also. I think Ingram and Hill could do it and Andrews maybe even Hurst. But, I would love to see Justice Hill get some touches in that role because he provides a speed and elusiveness element but also brings power/tackling breaking ability that Hollywood doesn't. Then you could still get to this play from 22 personnel (several others also).

Last edited by edromeo; 09-19-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Re: A Closer Look at G-Ro's Playcalling

The very next play the trap is sprung.

11 Personnel, starts 2x2 Gun HB (R) Formation (Doubles in some verbiage), 1st & 10 (8:17)
    Hollywood motions from slot (L) behind the QB and continues on a flare route (R)
    Andrews is split out in the slot (R), Snead is split out wide and Boykin is the backside Iso Receiver

Defense starts w/ a 6-man box but builds it to 7 w/ the (L) side Safety flying up.
    Cover 3 look and again the closet defender to Hollywood ends up being a LB.

Play is PA fake, Pump fake swing/screen, Slot Fade.

Andrews fakes to block like Hurst did in the previous screen play then runs an outside fade route.
    Both the Nickel Safety and OLB bite on the pump fake because of the previous screen pass.

Great use of personnel, play design and play sequence/script.

Two fantastic new vids from Edgar Allen, don't miss them:

Sept 18:
    Lamar to Andrews/Ingram (reading and manipulating coverage)
    https://youtu.be/yfDjj2sJ0kY

Sept 19:
    Things we might have missed vs. Arizona
    https://youtu.be/nHmcNd47UjU

He says in one that he joined Filmstudy for his podcast this week! THAT's cool.

11. Re: Ravens 2019 Offense Scheme

Two fantastic new vids from Edgar Allen, don't miss them:

Sept 18:
    Lamar to Andrews/Ingram (reading and manipulating coverage)
    https://youtu.be/yfDjj2sJ0kY

Sept 19:
    Things we might have missed vs. Arizona
    https://youtu.be/nHmcNd47UjU

He says in one that he joined Filmstudy for his podcast this week! THAT's cool.
    Podcast with EA.
    Proud member of The Coordinators! Check out our latest articles on the run and pass games!

Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Re: A Closer Look at G-Ro's Playcalling

There is one more screen to Hollywood but it seems like my computer doesn't want me to post it.

Last game there were 5 screen passes that I saw.
    4 to Hollywood and 1 to TE (Andrews/Boyle) that was incomplete.

Easy passes like the screens are in every QBs gameplan, except for Lamar last year w/ Marty. Screen passes are one aspect of G-Ro n̶e̶w̶ not new offense that I hoped for and very happy to see.
    Last edited by edromeo; 09-21-2019 at 07:21 AM.