Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens 2019 Offense Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I think it's right in front of our faces: it will be modeled after Lincoln Riley's at Oklahoma.
    I've been watching 2017 and 2018 of them all afternoon.

Overall, the potential flexibility that I see on this roster now is ground-breaking.
    Certainly for THIS franchise, but to a great degree, league-wide as well.

One simple nugget from 2017, tells me that I think we could see Ingram and Hill flanking Lamar pretty often--especially with a lead in the 2nd half.
    OK did some nasty things from that look in 2017--particularly how they moved the ball vs. a very good OSU defense in week 2 (?).

McSorley (who is slower, but 10lbs bigger than JHill, and a bit faster, but 10lbs less than Ingram) may have some packages back there too, and not necessarily RZ-exclusive.

Snead is best in the slot, if you move him around, you may a hole in the defensive scheme and a LB or FS now way out of position on the perimeter---oh, and there's MBrown eyeing a back-side slant or post right through the seam/hole that Snead's shift just created.

Boykin, Andrews and Hurst gives Roman crazy flexibility in the slot and the perimeter, as we saw in 2018 with the latter two guys.

I think there's going to be a ton of pressure on opponents' LBs and safeties when they face the Ravens. A ton. If MIKE and/or the FS (or deep safeties if C2) mis-read the mesh, or get fooled by the fake jets and fake screens (more Riley nastiness), or lose track of the smallest guy on the field, or over-commit to the fastest guy on the field (yes, they are the same person), they will get beat.
    feels like the ravens have finally stepped into the 21st century with this draft huh? I have no idea what the scheme is going to look like but this team is fast on offense now, really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Who's Jimmy? My name is Jason if you would like to know.
    Corrected. Thinking jimzipcode from another post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 offensive players have been drafted from Oklahoma in the past 2 years. The Ravens drafted 4 of them.

I encourage watching OK.

Folks can call it gimmicky if they want, but avg DCs and low IQ perimeter/deep defenders are going to get whipped.

Fwiw...I'm not terribly concerned about the notion of scoring "too quickly" b/c of our DBs.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Don't sleep on Lamar's deep passing skills. We just flat out didn't try much at all when Lamar took over. I'm assuming he'll be getting the greenlight more and more going forward especially with the weapons we have now. He was a great deep passer in college.

The video of all OU plays of 40+ yards from 2017-18 is...

OVER EIGHT MINUTES LONG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w9b8XAKiNw
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Don't sleep on Lamar's deep passing skills. We just flat out didn't try much at all when Lamar took over. I'm assuming he'll be getting the greenlight more and more going forward especially with the weapons we have now. He was a great deep passer in college.
    Paint, I'm with you on this. I do think some are down on LJ's passing, but in 2018 he mostly went with what his instincts (running) told him. He seems to be a good student and is honing his passing skills this off-season. Not only is he a young man that is hard not to like, but agreeable to coaching. His development, along with DeCosta's 21st century drafting, should elevate the Ravens from the doldrums we've seen in the past few years... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I hope you're right, but I remember him badly missing some balls downfield last season. My impression was that he was better than that throwing deep in college, so maybe he'll come around. I suspect he'll at least do better than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I hope you're right, but I remember him badly missing some balls downfield last season. My impression was that he was better than that throwing deep in college, so maybe he'll come around. I suspect he'll at least do better than last year.
    You can’t base everything on last year where he only started 8 games. I was highly annoyed when some fans wanted Troy Smith to start over Joe after Joe’s successful season. You have to give these guys a chance

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Paint, I'm with you on this. I do think some are down on LJ's passing, but in 2018 he mostly went with what his instincts (running) told him. . Bc
    So, I don't get this at all. You think he has instincts to run? I don't think he wants to run. It was the TEAM that called for Lamar to run, and he carried out the play.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoothSayer View Post
    You can’t base everything on last year where he only started 8 games. I was highly annoyed when some fans wanted Troy Smith to start over Joe after Joe’s successful season. You have to give these guys a chance
    Last year's 8 games aren't definitive, but they're the only NFL games we can evaluate him on. So I don't think you can toss them out either.

That's not to say Lamar is a terrible deep ball thrower. Initially, based on what he did in college, it wasn't something I was concerned about. After what he did in 2018, I do have some concerns. His deep ball will probably look better this year. Enough to be "good" .... I don't know. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Last year's 8 games aren't definitive, but they're the only NFL games we can evaluate him on. So I don't think you can toss them out either.

That's not to say Lamar is a terrible deep ball thrower. Initially, based on what he did in college, it wasn't something I was concerned about. After what he did in 2018, I do have some concerns. His deep ball will probably look better this year. Enough to be "good" .... I don't know. Time will tell.
    I think that you have to analyze Lamar in the context that he faced in those eight games. A 21-year old project who was being slowly fed into the NFL is suddenly forced to be a starter after limited reps with the first team up to that point. He had to rely on something and it is not a surprise that it was his natural talents. He will now have time to work as The Man and learn in different conditions. To judge Lamar on what he faced last season is not an indicator of much. I would take from the sample-size the progress that he made from Training Camp/Preseason to the starting role into which he was thrust. Clearly, the playoff game showed that he was in over his head at this point, but we have to see if he progresses beyond what he learned in that game.
    Captain Offense