Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 38394041 LastLast

Re: Welcome to Baltimore Miles Boykin

It was an overreaction to crown him a boom last week.

It is an overreaction to crown him a bust this week.

Welcome to rookie WR's folks.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Targeted 3 times in the official box score. As I recall, only one of them was close enough that he could get a hand on it; but it would have been a great catch.

On-air, Billick and Sandusky criticized Boykin for not coming back to Lamar on that play. But they also both said exactly what you did, that it was a fairly typical rookie learning point.
    I am still high on Boykin and don't believe that Thursday night showed us anything but where the learning curve is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    I am still high on Boykin and don't believe that Thursday night showed us anything but where the learning curve is.
    He needs to be pissed off for greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    He needs to be pissed off for greatness.
    Taking him out of the game early (if one or two of his patterns were not quite right) can only help this.

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    Taking him out of the game early (if one or two of his patterns were not quite right) can only help this.
    Only if he's put back in later. He still needs the reps.

I watched him again these last 2 games this past weekend and you can see the raw talent, but he has a ways to go before he's an impact guy IMHO.

You normally see WR's really blossom their second years (unless you are freaks like Beckham/Green/Julio/Moss) and I think we are seeing why. You can see him thinking and hesitating sometimes on certain routes and that will be a big barrier until he really gets comfortable.

IMHO this year, we are really going to have to rely on the TE's in a relatively short passing game because Brown is going to be playing catchup all season and Boykin continues to need the reps/confidence to make things second nature.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I watched him again these last 2 games this past weekend and you can see the raw talent, but he has a ways to go before he's an impact guy IMHO.

You normally see WR's really blossom their second years (unless you are freaks like Beckham/Green/Julio/Moss) and I think we are seeing why. You can see him thinking and hesitating sometimes on certain routes and that will be a big barrier until he really gets comfortable.

IMHO this year, we are really going to have to rely on the TE's in a relatively short passing game because Brown is going to be playing catchup all season and Boykin continues to need the reps/confidence to make things second nature.
    Going back to that 4th year player thing, I think it's going to be a huge prove it year for Moore.

If he can actually produce in the regular season it will be great.

I think we'll see a lot of Moore and Roberts on the outside with Boykin and Brown being worked in.

I agree with your assessment completely.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Welcome to Baltimore Miles Boykin

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Riw, what you post is very possibly what may happen to this rookie WR. His talent does seem to be the material that will create success if he's open to coaching. Yes, the 2nd year (after an NFL regular season plus an off-season of training) may show him blooming into an impact player. I am optimistic about his, and this offense's, future... Bc

9. Re: Welcome to Baltimore Miles Boykin

I think he going to get a lot of run in the games this year. By week 4-5 I think things will start to come together for him.

Sounds like Boykin had the play of the day in 7-on-7.

But he also had the only incomplete on a successful 3/4 in the RZ (all 3 TDs). The incomplete was a drop he should have had.

Expect an up and down year with a lot of learning. He just needs ot make mroe plays than he doesnt make and he should continue to develop.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Sounds like Boykin had the play of the day in 7-on-7.

But he also had the only incomplete on a successful 3/4 in the RZ (all 3 TDs). The incomplete was a drop he should have had.

Expect an up and down year with a lot of learning. He just needs ot make mroe plays than he doesnt make and he should continue to develop.
    I just hope he produces enough to get significant snaps this year. As we've seen with guys like Moore, Tim Williams and Tyrus Bowser you need to do enough to crack the lineup. Once you do that you'll get some time to stick around as with Matt Judon and Orlando Brown Jr. It's doing enough in practice to get on the field in the first place that seems to be tough for these rookies not taken in the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I just hope he produces enough to get significant snaps this year. As we've seen with guys like Moore, Tim Williams and Tyrus Bowser you need to do enough to crack the lineup. Once you do that you'll get some time to stick around as with Matt Judon and Orlando Brown Jr. It's doing enough in practice to get on the field in the first place that seems to be tough for these rookies not taken in the 1st round.
    Completely agree. It's not going to be good if week 12-13 come around and he's not playing a lot.

I keep comparing him to Michael Gallup (also a 3rd rounder) in terms of when he got on the field and saw more targets. From week 7 on he saw at least 4-6 basically.

Just to break down his year into quarters:

Game1 - 4: 12 targets, 5 catches (41.7%), 76 yards (15.2 avg), 0 TD.
    Game4 - 8: 16 targets, 8 catches (50%), 165 yards (20.6 avg), 1 TD
    Game9 - 12: 21 targets, 10 catches (47%), 139 yards (13.9 avg), 0 TD
    Game13 - 16: 19 targets, 10 catches (52%), 127 yards (12.7 avg), 1 TD

I think what really helped him was making some bigger plays, despite not having a great catch rate through the year. So I dont know if he had a lot of drops or miscommunication routes (i.e. mistakes), but he made big plays and it led to more work with the targets ticking up.

That type of progression from Miles Boykin and finishing with 30ish catches, 500ish yards and a couple TD isn't bad as long as it gets better each week IMO.
    - Ray Lewis