Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Re: Please, Don't Draft This Guy

Butler has “Stone hands” and Ferrel is an “elite pass rusher”
    Can’t agree with either of those points.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Butler has “Stone hands” and Ferrel is an “elite pass rusher”
    Can’t agree with either of those points.
    Lol I was about to post exactly this.

Ferrell looks to me like a potentially elite edge setter who chips in 4-6 hustle sacks a year. He’s got plenty to like as a football player overall, but as a pass rusher, he’s an average athlete in a role where athleticism is more important than any other.

As for Butler’s hands....... it’s been done over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    I completely understand that take. For me the real concern is just the lack of production, his contemporaries that went on to have NFL success like a Julio Jones had the production to back it up, even if it was just one year of high end production. Metcalf doesn't have even one season that makes you go "This guy is the real deal". That is mostly due to injuries but the fact remains.

But I will say he passes the eye test from a ball skills and football intelligence stand point, even with the high drop rate. Breshad Perriman for instance had the godly combine numbers but if you watch his tape he was actually quite clunky and his ball skills were always suspect. Never passed the eye test for me. The great big body WR's like Julio, Megatron, Dez, ect. all have this inherent intelligence for the game, the way they attack the ball, position themselves, their body control, just their feel for the game.. I see it in Metcalf.

Another huge factor for me is his maturity, dedication, and work ethic. If you look at another prolific college WR who had the measurables + the feel for the game and still failed you think of Dorial Green-Beckham. But that's a guy who never had his head on straight, never had the dedication, or the maturity.

Now we come back to DK Metcalf and he's actually checking a lot more boxes than the failed prototype WR's prospects of yesteryear. He has the feel for the game that Perriman never had, he has the maturity and work ethic that DGB never had. I'm not a massive DK fan but I think his odds of living up to the hype are a lot better than he's getting credit for. I think he could at least be Demaryius Thomas or Dez, drops more than you like him to but still a very good NFL WR. Will he ever be Julio/Megatron? No, I highly doubt that.
    I do not see any of what you are seeing with Metcalf. Every clip I watch on him is the same. He is a 1 trick pony type player similar to Perriman and A torrey Smith. If metcalf outruns the DB, he has space he makes a play. His competition is going to be much better at the NFL level.

For a guy of his size, speed, athleticism his production was mediocre at best in college. He looks kind of stiff, which is probably why he bombed the cone drills in the combine. PErriman was also a guy with stiff hips.

There are far too many comparisons in my opinion. If they draft him I will root for him to succeed but I will have major reservations about the pick.

On to Clelin Ferrell. He is not a player who would fit this defense. He looks like a 4-3 rush end and this defense does not run that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Metcalf reminds me of Dorial Green Beckham from a few years ago, without the off the field worries, but with more injury concerns.

I avoid him at all cost at 22.

However, if we do trade down and pick up a late 2nd/early 3rd in the process, and he's still available (highly unlikely IMO), then yes, I gamble.

That's kind of the mantra with WRs for me in this draft. There are like 11-12 WRs I really like in rounds 2 or 3, but all of them I prefer at a later point than 22.

I'd be tickled with any of these guys as a trade up/trade down option in the 2nd round:

AJ Brown
    M. Brown
    Campbell
    Metcalf
    Samuel
    Harry

Would love them at either of our 3rd round picks:
    Harmon
    Isabella
    Ridley
    JJCAW
    Boykin
    Hall

Note: Butler is not on my list. I only gamble on his stone hands in the 4th round or lower.

My draft logic this year is simple: If a premier pass rusher like Ferrell falls to 22, draft him. If Ford falls to 22, draft him. Otherwise, trade back if at all possible.
    Butler may not have excellent hands, but I don't think he has stone hands either. That's a bit extreme...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Butler may not have excellent hands, but I don't think he has stone hands either. That's a bit extreme...
    The more video of Butler I watch I am starting to really like him but he had a ton of dropped passes. He is not worth a high round selection. Maybe a 4th at best.

He looks really good on the outside, and he has some moves. More so than I would say for Metcalf.

But his hands are definite concern but it would be great story for local kid to end up being the 1st impactful WR this franchise has selected. I would root for him to succeed and I think hometown motivation would definitely factor in

Quote Originally Posted by BHSU View Post
    2nd impactful WR we have selected. Torrey was far from elite, but he made an impact on this team for a while. But we also should know by now that we rarely take local talent. Eg. Diggs/DJ
    I meant to add on 1st impactful WR (in a while since Torrey). Torrey has the only one who lived up to the spot where he was selected in franchise history probably.

They need to start putting more emphasis on staying local. Teams do that, see Minnesota for great example. Minnesota also has a history of taking alot of UMD players.

Blog Entries

Dorian Green-Beckham. Now, there’s a name I haven’t heard in a while.

Blog Entries

For me, it's Rashan Gary. Guy doesn't play hard all the time and frankly should have dominated the big ten. People fall in love with his potential and ignore the tape.
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""
    - Brian Billick - postgame after beating Titans in Divisional playoff 2001

Twitter handle: @radams8483