View Poll Results: Which pick would make you happier?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Josh Jacobs

2 8.70%
  • Your top WR

21 91.30%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Josh Jacobs vs your top WR

Big no for me and I’m high on the guy

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I'm just not that high on Josh Jacobs. If you can't get one of the real elite RB prospects like a Barkley or Elliott then it's okay to wait to the lower rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I agree.

Lamar is a force multiplier for basically any RB we put in the backfield. The threat of him running makes other backs get more favorable looks.
    If he multiples an RB's skill don't you want a real pezzonovante back there and not a slappy to have a greater degree of skill multiplied?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Big no for me and I’m high on the guy
    I agree and I'm sure for the same reasons... bc

5. Re: Josh Jacobs vs your top WR

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I think theres value to be had in the third round for a running back. Miles Sanders is a good receiving back that will be available in the third and Mike Weber might be available too and I've been on the Weber train since day zero
    Any room for me in the cab? I have Weber in my pick six.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
    If he multiples an RB's skill don't you want a real pezzonovante back there and not a slappy to have a greater degree of skill multiplied?
    I think one has to look at it from a ROI perspective.

What is going to help Lamar more? An elite RB? Or an elite WR? Considering that Lamar is inherently going to (likely) make most RB's look better because of his skill set and the nature of this offense, I tend to fall on the side that an elite WR is going to help Lamar more for two reasons:

1. Because Lamar isn't an overly accurate QB, an elite WR would have a higher probability of snagging less-than-perfect throws.
    2. Because Lamar is mostly successful over the middle as a passer, he is going to need guys that can create YAC.

Think about it like this. Let's say they draft Josh Jacobs and he becomes an elite back in the NFL quickly. In this offense, he generates 1,500 yards and 10 TD's. However, we used a 1st round pick on him and bypassed someone like AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, N'Keal Harry, Parris Campbell, etc. And as a result, our leading receiver is Mark Andrews (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, btw) with 650 yards and 5 TD's. The top actual WR is Willie Snead with around 600 yards and averaging around 7-8 yards per catch with minimal YAC and 3 TD's (he only had 1 last year).

That's pretty imbalanced IMO.

On the flip side, let's say they take N'Keal Harry and he becomes an elite level WR and falls in that 75-85 receptions for 900-1100 yards and 5-7 TD's. That would be pretty damn good for this offense. Just having that 1 guy playing at that level opens up everything else for Chris Moore, Mark Andrews, Hurst, Snead, etc. Taking that one step further, let's say they wait and draft Benny Snell in the mid-rounds. Between Snell, Ingram, and Edwards, the Ravens rush for 2200 yards and 12 TD's, but none of the backs have over 1,000 yards.

Which do you think is going to increase the likelihood of the Ravens making the playoffs and, potentially, getting back to the Super Bowl? I realize it is an extreme example, but look at the Giants with Barkley last year. He had over 2,000 total yards (rushing & receiving) and 15 total TD's, but the Giants stunk to high heaven.

Also, I think it's fair to say that in the last few years, the Ravens have adopted the "RB by committee" ideology, which means they don't necessarily want or need a true #1 back. I believe they view it from the lens of "total rushing yards" for the entire team, which includes all of their backs, WR's, and QB's. Now, I'm sure if they land someone at Saquon Barkley's level, then yes, that changes things. However, I don't think Jacobs is at that level.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

7. Re: Josh Jacobs vs your top WR

First, signing Mark Ingram changes things in terms of "need" at RB.

I like Josh Jacobs, but there are several other backs in this draft that I think could be effective players for Baltimore.

Benny Snell is a guy I (and others on the board, namely GOTA) have been high on for a while. He's powerful, he's got above avg speed, and he'd be an every down back. I think he'll be around in rounds 3 and 4.

Miles Sanders out of Penn State is a guy that is flying under the radar, but he's a really good back. I feel the same way about Mike Weber from Ohio State.

Bryce Love would also be an intriguing option in the mid-rounds. At one point, he was considered the best back in this draft.

Justice Hill is intriguing and would be a very different type of back than Ingram, Edwards, and Dixon.

David Montgomery and Damien Harris are also backs that would look really good in Baltimore. Montgomery isn't a speedster, but he's got such nice vision and balance.

Point is, as much as I like Josh Jacobs, if they took Jacobs and passed on someone like N'Keal Harry, DK Metcalf, JJAW, Parris Campbell, or AJ Brown...I think I would be a little annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Ive started watching some tape of Benny....
    I'd like Benny more if we didn't already have Ingram and Gus. I think we need a different skill set.

I like Mike Weber a lot, but there are other guys that should go in mid to late rounds that could help our team too, imho...

Justice Hill, Ok St.
    Myles Gaskin, Washington
    Bryce Love, Stanford
    Darrell Henderson, Memphis
    Travis Homer, The U
    Tony Pollard, Memphis

Regardless, I agree with both of you. Given our roster - generally speaking (other needs) and specific to the RBs already under contract - when you combine those 2 factors with this year's draft class, which seems weak at the top for RB, I'd be inclined to wait until our comp pick, at the earliest, to add a one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    I'd like Benny more if we didn't already have Ingram and Gus. I think we need a different skill set.

I like Mike Weber a lot, but there are other guys that should go in mid to late rounds that could help our team too, imho...

Justice Hill, Ok St.
    Myles Gaskin, Washington
    Bryce Love, Stanford
    Darrell Henderson, Memphis
    Travis Homer, The U
    Tony Pollard, Memphis

Regardless, I agree with both of you. Given our roster - generally speaking (other needs) and specific to the RBs already under contract - when you combine those 2 factors with this year's draft class, which seems weak at the top for RB, I'd be inclined to wait until our comp pick, at the earliest, to add a one.

I'd throw Devin Singletary from FAU into that mix as well as Ty Johnson from Maryland and Karan Higdon from Michigan.

9. Re: Josh Jacobs vs your top WR

I'd throw Devin Singletary from FAU into that mix as well as Ty Johnson from Maryland and Karan Higdon from Michigan.
    I'll have to check out Singletary and Higdon. Johnson was criminally underutilized in college - I'd love that pick.

I think one has to look at it from a ROI perspective.

What is going to help Lamar more? An elite RB? Or an elite WR? Considering that Lamar is inherently going to (likely) make most RB's look better because of his skill set and the nature of this offense, I tend to fall on the side that an elite WR is going to help Lamar more for two reasons:

1. Because Lamar isn't an overly accurate QB, an elite WR would have a higher probability of snagging less-than-perfect throws.
    2. Because Lamar is mostly successful over the middle as a passer, he is going to need guys that can create YAC.

Think about it like this. Let's say they draft Josh Jacobs and he becomes an elite back in the NFL quickly. In this offense, he generates 1,500 yards and 10 TD's. However, we used a 1st round pick on him and bypassed someone like AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, N'Keal Harry, Parris Campbell, etc. And as a result, our leading receiver is Mark Andrews (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, btw) with 650 yards and 5 TD's. The top actual WR is Willie Snead with around 600 yards and averaging around 7-8 yards per catch with minimal YAC and 3 TD's (he only had 1 last year).

That's pretty imbalanced IMO.

On the flip side, let's say they take N'Keal Harry and he becomes an elite level WR and falls in that 75-85 receptions for 900-1100 yards and 5-7 TD's. That would be pretty damn good for this offense. Just having that 1 guy playing at that level opens up everything else for Chris Moore, Mark Andrews, Hurst, Snead, etc. Taking that one step further, let's say they wait and draft Benny Snell in the mid-rounds. Between Snell, Ingram, and Edwards, the Ravens rush for 2200 yards and 12 TD's, but none of the backs have over 1,000 yards.

Which do you think is going to increase the likelihood of the Ravens making the playoffs and, potentially, getting back to the Super Bowl? I realize it is an extreme example, but look at the Giants with Barkley last year. He had over 2,000 total yards (rushing & receiving) and 15 total TD's, but the Giants stunk to high heaven.

Also, I think it's fair to say that in the last few years, the Ravens have adopted the "RB by committee" ideology, which means they don't necessarily want or need a true #1 back. I believe they view it from the lens of "total rushing yards" for the entire team, which includes all of their backs, WR's, and QB's. Now, I'm sure if they land someone at Saquon Barkley's level, then yes, that changes things. However, I don't think Jacobs is at that level.
    Not disagreeing with any of this but...
    adding/changing to it...
    it’s way more simple. A WR is far more beneficial because of what we have here. We have 3 RB’s that have had at least a modicum of success at the NFL level, 1 at an above average level consistently. 1 plays at a time.
    At WR, we have one above average NFL player that plays a part time role, 1 below average outside receiver and basically NOTHING else. 2,3 sometimes even 4 are on the field at a time. We have quite likely the single worst position group of any position Group on any team in the past decade plus at the moment. Luckily the games are not starting tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Not disagreeing with any of this but...
    adding/changing to it...
    it’s way more simple. A WR is far more beneficial because of what we have here. We have 3 RB’s that have had at least a modicum of success at the NFL level, 1 at an above average level consistently. 1 plays at a time.
    At WR, we have one above average NFL player that plays a part time role, 1 below average outside receiver and basically NOTHING else. 2,3 sometimes even 4 are on the field at a time. We have quite likely the single worst position group of any position Group on any team in the past decade plus at the moment. Luckily the games are not starting tomorrow.
    I dont disagree...out WR unit right now is pretty atrocious.

I wouldn’t mind this for the obvious reason were going to be running a good amount, and that I’m not buying the Edwards hype. A Jacobs Ingram backfield has the potential to be elite. No matter who we draft at WR that position will not be elite. Let’s be really good somewhere as opposed to ok everywhere