Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RIP: Gino Marchetti

Passed at 93. HOF'r and still considered one of the top-100 NFL players. He and Unitas were probably the two biggest leaders of those '58-'59 teams.

Credited with virtually inventing the edge rush position.

Namesake of the Gino's restaurants in Baltimore.

Re: RIP: Gino Marchetti

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Passed at 93. HOF'r and still considered one of the top-100 NFL players. He and Unitas were probably the two biggest leaders of those '58-'59 teams.

Credited with virtually inventing the edge rush position.

Namesake of the Gino's restaurants in Baltimore.
    The Man will always be remebered.

He was a legend on the field and a legend with is restaurants. My favorite place to eat as a kid. They built a new one in Glen Burnie few years back still only decent fastfood around

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    The Man will always be remebered.

He was a legend on the field and a legend with is restaurants. My favorite place to eat as a kid. They built a new one in Glen Burnie few years back still only decent fastfood around
    Also loved Gino's restaurants as a kid. I remember they would have a big photo of Marchetti in his Colts uniform up on the wall. And I always thought their "Giant" sandwich was superior to a Big Mac. Never been to the new Gino's in Glen Burnie, though.

Many people know about his combat military service during WWII, not as many know his role in University of San Francisco in 1951 (undefeated, ranked #14) turning down a bowl bid because the southern bowls did not want black players:

http://https://nationalfootballpost....ino-marchetti/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%2751_Dons

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Also loved Gino's restaurants as a kid. I remember they would have a big photo of Marchetti in his Colts uniform up on the wall. And I always thought their "Giant" sandwich was superior to a Big Mac. Never been to the new Gino's in Glen Burnie, though.
    Its on Ritchie Highway up near the Court house, a few miles from where the old one was which was considered Pasadena.

The Ginos Giant chicken is awesome, they have great fries and Orings too. From 2015-2018 I had a warehouse right around the corner from there and I ate there often if I decided to eat out for lunch. Still great food. Blows any other fastfood place away

Blog Entries

Legendary player. NFL Network had Gino Marchetti at #39 on their greatest players of all time list they put out about 10 years ago

Gino's hamburgers were THE BEST - better than MacDonalds and Burger King. I lived in Philly for 3 years in the 80s and there was a Ginos on the corner of 9th and Chestnut - remember it well. The only crime the Colts ever committed was to lure Gino out of retirement for one year - delaying his induction into the Hall of Fame for 5 years - because the 5yr retirement cycle had to start over.

Its funny how Unitas' (the bowling alleys) and Ameche's (the local Baltimore restaurants) business ventures pretty much ended in failures - but Gino hit the big time with the burger joints.

Blog Entries

They said on 105.7 a few minutes ago that that was the only place you could get KFC chicken back in the day. i never realized that. I loved the Gino Giant. I remember you could get a burger, fries, and a drink for 45 cents. Now that was a happy meal. RIP Gino Marchetti. A true Giant.

I honestly did not know he was still alive. 93, good job Gino

One of the best DE in NFL history, and largely forgotten now on the national scale. Member of the 75th anniversary team.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    They said on 105.7 a few minutes ago that that was the only place you could get KFC chicken back in the day. i never realized that. I loved the Gino Giant. I remember you could get a burger, fries, and a drink for 45 cents. Now that was a happy meal. RIP Gino Marchetti. A true Giant.
    Burger, fries AND a drink for 45 cents? GTFOH I don't believe you

God Speed Gino. You will be missed.

“You gonna do something .....or just stand there and bleed” Wyatt Earp