Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

First Round Talents the General Consensus is wrong about

Who is the one player that stands out to each of you as someone who’ll undoubtedly go in the first round and is highly regarded by most respected football personalities, that you feel has ‘bust’ written all over him? Is there more than one, in your opinion?

For me, there seems to be one in every draft, if not a few. Darrius Heyward-Bey, Dion Jordan, Kevin White. Those were a few guys that I was never high on. I would have added Artie Burns, but it was more of a surprise that Pittsburgh took him that high. I don’t remember the ‘General Consensus’ being that he’d go that high. Oh, Darren Lee was another one I think.

Re: First Round Talents the General Consensus is wrong about

D.K. Metcalf will be a bust in my opinion, A.J. Brown is clearly the best WR from Ole Miss

Josh Allen
    Hollywood Brown
    N'Keal Harry

To a lesser extent

Devin White
    Byron Murphy

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Metcalf and Bosa. Bosa could prove me wrong I thought his brother would be a bust when he came out. Metcalf I think he could be a bigger Torrey Smith. Straight 9 router. Not a good tree route runner

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think many people will say DK Metcalf, but I see his floor as being an Alshon Jeffrey type.

Most receivers I want to criticize aren't surefire first round picks. Hollywood Brown and N'Keal Harry are overhyped in my opinion.

For the sake of your question's parameters, i'll go with Rashan Gary. I read a lot of PFF, and they just don't believe in the guy. He might be the most textbook example in this draft of teams falling in love with traits over production. I mean, 3 sacks in his final college season? That doesn't sound like a first round pick. Yet he is a consensus top 10.....

Somebody posted a study on draft busts by position recently. Very relevant to this thread, wish I could find it. The takeaway, from what i remember was least likely to bust: edge rushers and linemen. Most likely: QBs and WR.

I noticed we're all focused on WR because that's obviously where our draft focus is on this board, but I'd love to hear which QBs you guys think will be the next Blake Bortles....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by guymf4 View Post
    Somebody posted a study on draft busts by position recently. Very relevant to this thread, wish I could find it. The takeaway, from what i remember was least likely to bust: edge rushers and linemen. Most likely: QBs and WR.

I noticed we're all focused on WR because that's obviously where our draft focus is on this board, but I'd love to hear which QBs you guys think will be the next Blake Bortles....

I think most non nfl people agree on this but, goodness gracious, if Daniel Jones touches the first round, I know nothing about football.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoothSayer View Post
    D.K. Metcalf will be a bust in my opinion, A.J. Brown is clearly the best WR from Ole Miss
    This one. The guy looks awesome in pads, and has the strength/speed you look for, but that awful cone drill. He's too stiff to make it in the NFL I think.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I don't like speaking in absolutes, so I believe the following players in CBS's top 32 rankings have the highest bust potential:

7 Kyler Murray
    9 Rashan Gary
    12 Dwayne Haskins
    18 DK Metcalf
    23 Drew Lock
    25 Greedy Williams
    28 Kaleb McGary
    29 Marquise Brown

The QBs are automatic. Chances are 50/50 on them. I think Murray has the highest floor but it's quite possible none of them work out. So add all of them, including Daniel Jones who you figure someone will sneak into late round 1 for.

Gary - lack of college production
    Metcalf - everyone's going over it
    Williams - one dimensional
    McGary - may be too slow a learner
    Brown - lisfranc.

Drew Lock. Long, slow release with a dip in his arm. Did not fare well against SEC competition.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Dwayne Haskins. I just hope he ends up on the Bengals. Drew Lock looks so much better to me. I honestly don't understand the faith in Haskins by the media.

Brian Burns would worry me. He's one of these guys who is a 1st round pick based on projections that he's going to change. That's dangerous. He's really skinny and not in a Jason Taylor way. I don't see any strength. Everything is an outside move and quickness. In the NFL you have to shed blockers. The reports all talk about him putting on weight. The way his frame is it would have to be significant. I'd be real leery about taking Brian Burns in round 1.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2019...the-nfl-draft/

This one?

Positional breakdown:
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB