Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT: Tiger's Second Shot on 18

Can't seem to find the answer anywhere other than a brief comment by Faldo that he might have chunked it. Is that what happened or did he lay up or hit a branch? Can't believe CBS didn't show a replay or give a further explanation. Weird.

Re: OT: Tiger's Second Shot on 18

His ball was on the fairway lying up against the second cut which is a damn tricky lie, he had some trees to deal with and knew he only had to hit a five to win. Laying up would make sense.

He said there was mud on the ball. Conditions weren't bad enough for the players to be allowed to clean the ball in the fairway, so he just had to deal with it.

I thought it was clear of the first cut of rough by several feet.

He hit a lot of good shots, but the downhill 70-footer on the 9th that stopped even with the hole, a foot away, probably couldn't be duplicated by anyone else on the course. I'd bet that a few of them would have putted that one all the way off the green.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

4. Re: OT: Tiger's Second Shot on 18

It was great for golf having him in contention on a Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'll put on my curmudgeon hat and say that while it's good for him and he is playing at a high level again, it's not really good for golf because his fans are notoriously interested only in him. When he isn't playing, they stay away. When he finally does retire, networks and golf events will again struggle to find viewers, same as they have the past few years. His fans may not care but anyone interested in golf as a game bigger than a player does.

Quote Originally Posted by KbubbaK View Post
    Can't seem to find the answer anywhere other than a brief comment by Faldo that he might have chunked it. Is that what happened or did he lay up or hit a branch? Can't believe CBS didn't show a replay or give a further explanation. Weird.
    He was just trying to play a big fade and mishit it. CBS wasn't about to rain on it's own Tiger parade at that point, especially since he had a 2 shot lead. If he had pulled it off they would've replayed it a dozen times.

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    I'll put on my curmudgeon hat and say that while it's good for him and he is playing at a high level again, it's not really good for golf because his fans are notoriously interested only in him. When he isn't playing, they stay away. When he finally does retire, networks and golf events will again struggle to find viewers, same as they have the past few years. His fans may not care but anyone interested in golf as a game bigger than a player does.
    Golf always draws more people when there's a dominant individual or small group. Players virtually worshiped Arnold Palmer because he brought new fans to the game on the course and on TV, and made all of them a lot more money than they would have made without him. If Nicklaus hadn't come along to compete with and replace Palmer, you'd have seen the same effect you observed without Tiger Woods. Same with Watson challenging and replacing Nicklaus. It's not Tiger's fault that no one has the game or the charisma to replace him, and the problem wouldn't have been solved if he had never tried a comeback.

Tiger must be on the juice AGAIN. Did you see how big his body is?? Look at him 2 years ago and he was never that big. As a golfer, I never cared for the way he acted on the course or off the course. Give me the young guys like Jordan, Justin, Rickie, Dustin and Brooks any day to watch. They play great golf and have fun playing with each other. They really don't talk to Woods. Test Woods to see what he is on but CBS will not allow the PGA to do that. Can't stand listening to CBS when they do the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 120 View View Post
    Tiger must be on the juice AGAIN. Did you see how big his body is?? Look at him 2 years ago and he was never that big.
    I think he looks a lot less bulky than 10 years ago, when he seemed less like a golfer and more like a linebacker. And two years ago, he probably couldn't do any weight training because of his back problems.

And wasn't Dustin suspended for, among other things, cocaine use?

As far as those guys not talking to Tiger, several of them waited around to greet him after his round. So either they actually do talk to him, or they're even more phony than you think Tiger is.

Just got the answer to my question. His second shot clipped a tree limb, which makes sense. Too bad the announcers didn't see fit to inform the viewers.

Blog Entries

I have a golf nerd friend who swears it was fixed

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by KbubbaK View Post
    Just got the answer to my question. His second shot clipped a tree limb, which makes sense. Too bad the announcers didn't see fit to inform the viewers.
    Where did you see that?