Georgetown students vote for reparations

On Thursday, students at Georgetown University voted to raise tuition at the school by $27.20 per semester to provide reparations to the descendants of 272 slaves owned and later sold by the school in the 1800s.

The vote was part of a nonbinding student referendum. Approximately 66% of students voted in favor.

"The university values the engagement of our students and appreciates that 3,845 students made their voices heard in yesterday's election. Our students are contributing to an important national conversation and we share their commitment to addressing Georgetown's history with slavery," said Todd Olson, Georgetown Vice President for Student Affairs, in a written statement.

Olson's statement indicates that the funds are intended to be used to advance "causes and proposals that directly benefit descendants still residing in underprivileged communities." Exactly how those causes and proposals will be enacted is still to be determined.

"There are many approaches that enable our community to respond to the legacies of slavery," he writes. "The University has made a commitment to further our efforts in dialogue and partnership with the Descendant community, seeking to promote work that draws on the inherent strengths and expertise of our community in collaboration with the Descendant and Jesuit communities and that promotes racial justice."

The move would raise approximately $380,800 per year from the university's 7,000 undergraduate students starting during the fall 2020 semester. For the 2019-2020 school year, Georgetown's undergraduate tuition is $27,720 per semester, or about $55,440 per year, making it one of the most expensive schools in the country.

Georgetown has one of the wealthiest student bodies in the country. According to analysis by The New York Times, the median family income of a student from Georgetown is $229,100, and 74% come from the highest-earning 20% of American households.

At its founding, Georgetown relied financially on profits from Jesuit-owned plantations in Maryland. According to The New York Times, when the school was in need of funds in 1838, the Jesuit priests who founded and ran the college decided to sell the slaves on these plantations.

The sale of those individuals resulted in the separation of numerous families and forced hundreds into horrific conditions. It raised the 2019 equivalent of roughly $3.3 million for the school. Today, the school's endowment is valued at $1.66 billion.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...TF8?li=BBnb7Kz

Wow, I'm just amazed at the white guilt these students feel. Hey, the school has a 1.6 BILLION dollar endowment, but let's have the students pay for the school to virtue signal. You know those students who had absolutely nothing to do with the slaves.
    And funny how they haven't even laid out what exactly these 'reparations' are gonna look like.

Re: Georgetown students vote for reparations

Virtue signaling at its finest.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

I'm sure all of those student's parents that foot their bill to go to that school are going to just love L-O-V-E shelling out more money for reparations.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Why not make the Catholic Church foot the bill? Why should any and every new and current student pay this? How ironic is it to have mixed race, black, Asian and any other ethnicity pay a “bill” that was made by White Monks?!! Hilarious.

Let’s ask Patrick Ewing if the fact his alma mater was funded by the sale of slaves bothered him ? Here’s an immigrant black male who went to and graduated from one of the most prominent universities in the country. He played an amazingly NBA career and is now the head coach at Georgetown. He doesnt seem bitter.

“You gonna do something .....or just stand there and bleed” Wyatt Earp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Why not make the Catholic Church foot the bill? Why should any and every new and current student pay this? How ironic is it to have mixed race, black, Asian and any other ethnicity pay a “bill” that was made by White Monks?!! Hilarious.

Let’s ask Patrick Ewing if the fact his alma mater was funded by the sale of slaves bothered him ? Here’s an immigrant black male who went to and graduated from one of the most prominent universities in the country. He played an amazingly NBA career and is now the head coach at Georgetown. He doesnt seem bitter.

“You gonna do something .....or just stand there and bleed” Wyatt Earp
    Ah yes, Patrick Ewing. When I think of him, I think of his famous quote while he was President of the NBA Player's Association during contract negotiations. "We might make a lot of money but, we also spend a lot of money." I always hated Georgetown U. and one of my favorite sports memories was watching Villanova upset a heavily favored Georgetown team in the 1985 NCAA Championship game.

https://www.azquotes.com/quote/561566