Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PSA: You're smarter than that

A public service announcement

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Come JimZip. You're better than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    You’re better than that sword.
    Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    GWNR I am losing my mind with you on this one man. You’re smarter than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Damn Jimmy. You’re smarter than that.
    Not trying to single out anyone: lots of people here use this phrasing. I tried to quote & paste a few, from some of my favorite posters, to make it clear I'm talking about a phrase rather than any one person.

I personally don't like this usage:
    "you''re smarter than that"
    "you're better than this"

I find it smug & condescending as hell. It's a way to say "You're being stupid!", while getting around forum guidelines about insulting other posters. It says, "I'm talking at a higher level than you are, and I'm disappointed with you for not meeting me on my level."

I'd prefer if people stopped using that construction.

That's just me. Carry on.

Re: PSA: You're smarter than that

Its a message board. There is supposed to be difference of opinion. It would be pretty boring place if it wasn't

Unless you are being cursed out I think you are being entirely too sensitive .

Agreed.

A good reminder.

Until something real happens--a player signed, a draft pick, a practice, a game--it's the cranky season.

I'm guilty myself of pleading with posters to see my point of view...which tends to happen when the subject matter turns esoteric. E.G., deciphering the meaning behind team statements designed to be deceptive.

Blog Entries

Cool Re: PSA: You're smarter than that

Jimmy, how can you start such a thread? I thought "You''re smarter than that" and "you're better than this!" Of course I wrote that in jest, but actually understand your position... Bc
    P.S. - I'm glad you didn't copy one of my cynical replies ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    A public service announcement

Not trying to single out anyone: lots of people here use this phrasing. I tried to quote & paste a few, from some of my favorite posters, to make it clear I'm talking about a phrase rather than any one person.

I personally don't like this usage:
    "you''re smarter than that"
    "you're better than this"

I find it smug & condescending as hell. It's a way to say "You're being stupid!", while getting around forum guidelines about insulting other posters. It says, "I'm talking at a higher level than you are, and I'm disappointed with you for not meeting me on my level."

I'd prefer if people stopped using that construction.

That's just me. Carry on.
    I disagree with your interpretation of it as an ad hominem attack. It is an attack on the idea the person is floating, not the person himself. Another way of saying it would be, “This is a bad, logically flawed, unsound assessment. It is out of character with the ideas and arguments you usually present, because they are usually quite good.”

That construction is used when one is used to seeing more sound reasoning from a poster, and they are surprised that a specific post or idea does not meet with what is usually expected.

There are many posters who have appeared on this forum who offer little to nothing in the way of insights, instead only offering trolling and mind-numbing repetition of various unfounded positions. I would never use that construction with them, because if they post an unfounded idea, I am not at all surprised.

In the quote of mine that you posted, I was not in any way trying to insult you or your intellect. I felt, and still feel, that the IDEA you were floating and your methodology for arriving at it was logically flawed. I have not been given the gift of absolute truth, and I know many times people on this board have expressed similar sentiments about my ideas, and I’m fine with that.

All that said, your preference is noted, and I will try to remember not to use that construction in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Chin up, chest out."

Growth mindset, Jimmy. I can think someone is being obstinate on a topic without thinking they ARE obstinate.

I disagree with your interpretation of it as an ad hominem attack. It is an attack on the idea the person is floating, not the person himself. Another way of saying it would be, “This is a bad, logically flawed, unsound assessment. It is out of character with the ideas and arguments you usually present, because they are usually quite good.”

That construction is used when one is used to seeing more sound reasoning from a poster, and they are surprised that a specific post or idea does not meet with what is usually expected.

There are many posters who have appeared on this forum who offer little to nothing in the way of insights, instead only offering trolling and mind-numbing repetition of various unfounded positions. I would never use that construction with them, because if they post an unfounded idea, I am not at all surprised.

In the quote of mine that you posted, I was not in any way trying to insult you or your intellect. I felt, and still feel, that the IDEA you were floating and your methodology for arriving at it was logically flawed. I have not been given the gift of absolute truth, and I know many times people on this board have expressed similar sentiments about my ideas, and I’m fine with that.

All that said, your preference is noted, and I will try to remember not to use that construction in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Exactly.

In the quote of mine that you posted, I was not in any way trying to insult you or your intellect.
    Oh of course. I never have a problem with you, my dude.

Just trying to post examples of the phrase, wherever it cropped up.

Blog Entries

I am telling everyone right now that I am NOT smarter than that and will post whatever pops into my head. I am never smarter than what I wrote

jimmy you smarter than that to start this thread

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I am telling everyone right now that I am NOT smarter than that and will post whatever pops into my head. I am never smarter than what I wrote

“You gonna do something .....or just stand there and bleed” Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    jimmy you smarter than that to start this thread
    You Sir are a Hot Mess! Lmao

“You gonna do something .....or just stand there and bleed” Wyatt Earp