Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 202122

Thread: OT: Chris Davis

Re: OT: Chris Davis

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Don't agree - the NFL's nothing is guaranteed way of doing business - the announced contracts aren't worth the bits and bytes it takes to announce them.
    Don't agree with that statement. As I said, based on what I've been reading, the dollars in the average NFL contract are now up to 66% guaranteed on average. (perhaps Brian McF can confirm).

That's far from nothing. You cut a guy and he still earns 66% of what he signed for, on average.

That makes a lot more sense to me than being saddled with the entire contract of an MLB veteran who can't perform.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Don't agree with that statement. As I said, based on what I've been reading, the dollars in the average NFL contract are now up to 66% guaranteed on average. (perhaps Brian McF can confirm).

That's far from nothing. You cut a guy and he still earns 66% of what he signed for, on average.

That makes a lot more sense to me than being saddled with the entire contract of an MLB veteran who can't perform.
    The guaranteed money only goes to those with the STAR POWER to command it. Very few NFL players have that level of star power. Most veteran players are playing at or just above the NFL minimum (which I understand is well above anything anybody in the 'working world' make). Those not working under guaranteed contracts can be cut at any time and that 'contract' they signed ends - no more game checks, no more nothing - except the pain and suffering of the accumulated hits form pee-wee to that day.

The decision to sign Davis to a mega contract while letting Cruz go has to be one of the biggest franchise crippling botches in MLB history. Cruz is still killing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplenemesis View Post
    The decision to sign Davis to a mega contract while letting Cruz go has to be one of the biggest franchise crippling botches in MLB history. Cruz is still killing it.
    I can understand them passing on Cruz, players usually decline into their mid-30's. Cruz hasn't and I did want the Orioles to resign him because he had less wear and tear for a typical player of his age. Not signing Manny to an early extension (when they weren't that far apart on $$$) and locking in Davis long term is what crippled the franchise.

Wow- with the welcome distraction of good football, I’ve completely forgotten that Baltimore also has a baseball team!

In all seriousness- I’m actually glad someone is more actively benching Chris Davis. Not sure if it’s bc Trumbo is back or Hyde is just sick of Davis’ piss poor performance or a combo of both, but I hope we’re seeing our final weeks of Chris Davis. Contract and dead money be damned. There’s zero benefit to having the worst hitter in MLB (2 years running) on the active roster

Blog Entries

The benefit of keeping him is, they don't have to bring a player up from the minors and start his clock. With a rebuild they need to keep players under their control for as long as possible at reduced salaries. If they DFA Davis then they either bring a player up and start their clock, or sign a mid level veteran and have to pay them on top of paying Davis. We were not going to compete this season, so there was no benefit of getting rid of him this year.

An interesting point, but that rationale implies the team shouldn't bring up any players after September 1. They have to get an idea of what some of these guys can/cannot do at MLB level, not just spring training. And there must be some mid-level vets whose timetable isn't as sensitive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    An interesting point, but that rationale implies the team shouldn't bring up any players after September 1. They have to get an idea of what some of these guys can/cannot do at MLB level, not just spring training. And there must be some mid-level vets whose timetable isn't as sensitive.
    I don't think there was anyone called up in September whos clock was not already started, This is also the last year that rosters can be as many as 40 players. Starting next season the number is only 27 or 28