Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Wall Stree Journal report says Kaepernick's grievance was settled for less than $10 million.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    please redo study. tanks
    Wow, I should. Holy shit. Just looked, and the top 4 in career fantasy points is all guys who retired after 2011 – or haven't retired yet!

Not just the top guys either: like 7 of the top 9, etc. Most of the top 20 is recent players. My "study" is way out of date.

Re: Wall Stree Journal report says Kaepernick's grievance was settled for less than $10 million.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Then let me help you. The top-25 QBs in career value, when you total their seasons, their peak year was at age 27, with age 28 very close behind.

Brady and Brees may blow that curve out now; I'll have to redo the study. But I'd be surprised if a couple outliers really changed the curve significantly.
    Their peak performance may be 27 or 28 but I would venture to guess it is a slow decline for QBs from age 28-32. I would also guess peak earnings period for starting QBs is 28-32. They don't get the 2nd contract until 27-28. 5 year deal ends around 32 or 33. Kapernick lost out on his 30,31 and 32 earning years. Nick Foles just signed a 4 year 88m deal at the age of 30. If CK did not have controversy and played those 3 years he would have easily been paid 18m+ per year. If they truly colluded they should have been made to pay 60m+ in damages.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Their peak performance may be 27 or 28 but I would venture to guess it is a slow decline for QBs from age 28-32.
    Pretty much. A "broad" peak from 27-29. In general the decline is faster than we tend to think; the really high-profile guys distort our view of how most QBs that age are doing. But yeah, it's not unusual for a great QB at ~30 or 31 to be >85% of what he was.

I would also guess peak earnings period for starting QBs is 28-32. They don't get the 2nd contract until 27-28. 5 year deal ends around 32 or 33.
    That makes sense.

Kapernick lost out on his 30,31 and 32 earning years. Nick Foles just signed a 4 year 88m deal at the age of 30. If CK did not have controversy and played those 3 years he would have easily been paid 18m+ per year. If they truly colluded they should have been made to pay 60m+ in damages.
    I agree with all of this. Maybe $45M+, under the idea that CK might not have been able to drive as hard a bargain as Foles did.

When you settle, you don't get as much as you would if you won.